Rejectomancy

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
44-day from Shock Totem. I have a lot of submissions creeping into the late thirties and forties, so I hope that this isn't the start of a rejectionlanche.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
42-day R from Futures. Said they enjoyed the piece, but wasn't right for Futures.

I have a lot of submissions creeping into the late thirties and forties, so I hope that this isn't the start of a rejectionlanche.
Heh, same here. I'm really twitchy about my Penumbra and Willy Writers subs.

W.L. Marks

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe it will be an acceptancelanche, Sai!

64-day personal rejection from D.F. McCourt at AE.

But it said "absolutely love your writing style", so it almost feels like braggage. If I squint.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about all the R's people. I too am in the thirties and forties Sai, with only crickets. At least it lets me forget about my submissions and just focus on what I'm writing now.

GreenRoom

brain in a vat
VPXVI
Registered
Reaction score
42-day R from Futures. Said they enjoyed the piece, but wasn't right for Futures.

Heh, same here. I'm really twitchy about my Penumbra and Willy Writers subs.

Which Penumbra theme is your sub for?

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
And 27-day R from Buzzy, haha. Weird though, they pasted the text twice.

Two negatives make a positive, right?

oh, wait, this isn't math. Sigh.

sorry to hear about all the Rs. I've got something closing in on 200 days out there, the rest are newer as I get back into the groove. So expecting them, but not quite yet.

sarahthegrey

Registered
Reaction score
Form R from Nature, with a comment about attaching the guidelines for future reference.

Does anyone know if that's typically part of their form? I triple-checked everything when it came back with that comment, and it all seems kosher, from the content through the formatting. I seriously can't find anything, but I'm going to die of shame if I'm missing something stupidly obvious.

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
I have a story at Interzone that's halfway through its fourth month sitting there, and I'm getting rather antsy about it. It's well past any response times I've seen from them for my work or on Duotrope (for acceptances or rejections). They say not to query and to just move on if it's been too long, but that feels like such a final step, and then I'd never know if I should send something else to them or if that'd be a multiple. Has anyone heard anything from them lately?

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Form R from Nature, with a comment about attaching the guidelines for future reference.

Does anyone know if that's typically part of their form? I triple-checked everything when it came back with that comment, and it all seems kosher, from the content through the formatting. I seriously can't find anything, but I'm going to die of shame if I'm missing something stupidly obvious.
They did it for me as well. I didn't take it as an insult that I hadn't read the guidelines, haha, just part of their practice.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
I have a story at Interzone that's halfway through its fourth month sitting there, and I'm getting rather antsy about it. It's well past any response times I've seen from them for my work or on Duotrope (for acceptances or rejections). They say not to query and to just move on if it's been too long, but that feels like such a final step, and then I'd never know if I should send something else to them or if that'd be a multiple. Has anyone heard anything from them lately?

If I remember correctly, there was recently a 150ish-day acceptance reported on the Duotrope listing for Interzone. I've submitted to their sister magazine, Black Static. Same head editor who also does most of the slush. Very nice guy.

Their response times seem to run from 5 days to occasionally well over 100, so I wouldn't assume your story's been lost. And if you reread the guidelines, you'll notice they say to not CONTINUALLY query. So one query should be fine, especially since you've hit that 100-day threshold.

sarahthegrey

Registered
Reaction score
They did it for me as well. I didn't take it as an insult that I hadn't read the guidelines, haha, just part of their practice.

Oh good. I spent all morning feeling like a huge dork. Now I feel better. :D

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
18-day DSF. Surprised at this one. I thought I nailed their formula to a T, but I suppose one can never second-guess the inscrutability of taste.

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Their response times seem to run from 5 days to occasionally well over 100, so I wouldn't assume your story's been lost. And if you reread the guidelines, you'll notice they say to not CONTINUALLY query. So one query should be fine, especially since you've hit that 100-day threshold.

They once lost one of my subs, then lost it again when I resent. So I would def query.

akaSylvia

Doesn't Bite
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.intrigue.co.uk
I have a story at Interzone that's halfway through its fourth month sitting there, and I'm getting rather antsy about it.

I'm at 109 days and checking the post every day. There's an acceptance today at 89 days and Duotrope has their average acceptance at 159!

So I think it is fair to say that we're being held for serious consideration - but it would be nice to hear.

akaSylvia

Doesn't Bite
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.intrigue.co.uk
By the way, submitting to UFO totally broke my rejection log jam. Have now had 16 day from DSF and 72 day from IGMS.

7 more to go but at least things are moving again. I totally recommend UFO as a fix if your pendings are threatening to bundle into a rejectolanche. ;)

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
I'm at 109 days and checking the post every day. There's an acceptance today at 89 days and Duotrope has their average acceptance at 159!

So I think it is fair to say that we're being held for serious consideration - but it would be nice to hear.

And that acceptance from today was none other than the current hot commodity, Ken Liu.

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
By the way, submitting to UFO totally broke my rejection log jam. Have now had 16 day from DSF and 72 day from IGMS.

Sorry for the rejections, but at least you aren't in limbo on those anymore.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
0-day UFO! Tough nut to crack. Also, 14-day from Shimmer. Down to my core stories submitted, only 14 total.

Last edited: