• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Dystel, Goderich & Bourret, LLC (formerly Dystel & Goderich Lit. Mgmt.)

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
the blog is how i found out mr. jim likes paranormals. otherwise i'd never had guessed (from the web site, at least).

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
clara bow said:
Jim McCarthy just requested my full, a paranormal romance that is also under consideration at Trident. I snail mailed him a query per the agency's Web site last Saturday and he emailed requesting the full on Wednesday. Must have read the query the day he received it. Wow!

I'll update more when I have news.

Congrats and good luck! =) He requested the full for my paranormal romance pretty quickly from an e-query, though it did take a couple weeks to hear back. He rejected it, but he made some specific comments and invited me to re-submit so...here's hoping!

Wishing you the best with your own sub!

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
clara bow said:
the blog is how i found out mr. jim likes paranormals. otherwise i'd never had guessed (from the web site, at least).

Yeah. The main reason I knew he likes paranormals is because he represents Michelle Rowen, an author of paranormal romances. I read her blog and that's how I figured it out.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know how long agents there, specifically Michael Bourret, take to read fulls? Anyone know of Michael being swamped or anything? I sent it to him exactly two months ago. I guess I should wait a week or two before status querying though.

GeoffNelder

Registered
Reaction score
Website
geoffnelder.com
Does Michael look at SF too, or is it better to send to one of the other agents at Dystel. I couldn't tell from the website if they take SF at all.

Geoff

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
i've read that Mr. McCarthy doesn't rep SF, unless you're a client. Then he'll at least look at it. i recommend a google as well as reading any client blogs you can find of the agent you're targeting.

Lisa McMann

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lisamcmann.com
Michael Bourret is my agent. He is the best thing in the world. I adore him. He returns every email I send him the same day -- sometimes within minutes. He is the best communicator I could ever hope for, and so very patient and encouraging.

I sent my query to him on a Monday. Two hours later, he requested the full via email. Friday of that same week, he called me to offer representation after we chatted for a bit (I felt like I had marbles in my mouth -- to this day, I wonder why he wanted to work with a person who can't speak due to shock).

He reps children's picture books, Middle Grade, and YA, as well as a variety of non-fiction -- political, cookbooks, wine, etc. I don't think he does much with sci-fi, though, to answer another poster's question.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
I sent Michael a follow up email, asking about my submission. He responded promptly and poiltely a day later, informing me that my manuscript is still under submission and he'll get back to me soon. I'm very impressed. I really want this dude as my agent.

Lisa McMann

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lisamcmann.com
Provrb1810meggy said:
I sent Michael a follow up email, asking about my submission. He responded promptly and poiltely a day later, informing me that my manuscript is still under submission and he'll get back to me soon. I'm very impressed. I really want this dude as my agent.

Be patient, and hang in there! I know his 'to read' pile is high at the moment.

He really is fantastic. The rest of Dystel $ Goderich are top notch too.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Just wanted to add this, found on Galleycat:

In a press release issued late yesterday, Dystel & Goderich Literary Management announced that their newest agent hire is Adina Kahn, effective January 2007. After working for several years in the film & television industry, Kahn will be focus her attention at DGLM on literary and commercial fiction, narrative nonfiction, pop-culture, history and memoir. "I am delighted to welcome Adina to the agency," says Jane Dystel, president and founder of DGLM. "She is a smart, energetic and insightful young woman and I've been very impressed with her taste and tenacity. I've no doubt she will be a terrific agent and a great addition to our firm."

Kahn valued her film & TV time for teaching her to value creative and unique voices and she "looks forward to discovering new talents at DGLM."

Tip: it makes good sense to query new agents....

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
Trident Media Group vs. Dystel & Goderich: Round Two!

Received an email from Jim McCarthy today wanting to know if the manuscript was still available. Which of course, it was.

Two "hi, how are ya, I'm still here waiting" emails to Kimberly Whalen at Trident went unanswered (one sent 10/31, the second yesterday).

I'm going out of state tomorrow and will only have a phone (no email or AW, wahh!!) until 1/2/07.

I'm sure I won't hear anything until then, but when I do, I will post the update.

Thanks for reading my goofy posts!

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations. Goderich and Dystal turned me down. I haven't heard back from Trident though. I hope that doesn't mean they aren't interested.
l
clara bow said:
Received an email from Jim McCarthy today wanting to know if the manuscript was still available. Which of course, it was.

Two "hi, how are ya, I'm still here waiting" emails to Kimberly Whalen at Trident went unanswered (one sent 10/31, the second yesterday).

I'm going out of state tomorrow and will only have a phone (no email or AW, wahh!!) until 1/2/07.

I'm sure I won't hear anything until then, but when I do, I will post the update.

Thanks for reading my goofy posts!

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
Round Three

I received the AWESOMEST rejection EVER.

Mr. Mccarthy said he passed the 'script on for a second read, and said the story showed promise. He's passing, but gave a huge paragraph of feedback and compliments along with an invitation to resubmit if I decided to address the changes.

They're changes I can live with, so I'm going to work on "his" version of the story and resubmit, probably in about a month.

The cool thing was, there wasn't any concern about a particular character that the Trident agent had asked for a change on...so I'm jazzed he seemed to like it as is in that respect (sorry for the oblique comment).

So maybe the saga has not ended yet....

NicoleJLeBoeuf

a work in progress
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicolejleboeuf.com
Lisa McMann said:
Michael Bourret [...] reps children's picture books, Middle Grade, and YA, as well as a variety of non-fiction -- political, cookbooks, wine, etc. I don't think he does much with sci-fi, though, to answer another poster's question.
Children's picture books, you say? *ears perk up* I wouldn't have gotten that from his bio on the website. I'd always thought children's picture books had about as much chance of agent representation as short stories.

I, er, wrote this children's picture book. It's been submitted about four times to publishers who have that sort of slush pile (Illumination Arts, Tricycle Press, etc) and the resulting rejection letters range from formtastic to quite complimentary. Should I go ahead and query Michael, do you think?

I looked a bit through the Dystel & Goderich client list, and I saw here and there a mention of "So-n-so is the author of bestselling children's books XYZ," but am I overthinking it, that I don't assume this means "We sold XYZ for So-n-so"?

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
janetbellinger said:
Congratulations. Goderich and Dystal turned me down. I haven't heard back from Trident though. I hope that doesn't mean they aren't interested.
l

Did you hear back from them Janet?

I was rejected for my manuscript too so don't feel bad. :)

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
Round 4

Update: Well, I've completed the revisions, wrote my cover letter, and will send it off to Mr. McCarthy soon, maybe tomorrow. I'm also going to give the other agent who has the full a chance to review the revised version.

I'm nervous and wired and I don't know what to think at this point. Tonight I'm going to relax, watch the Oscars, and Try Very Hard not to dwell on agents or writing or publishing.

good vibes needed!

GeoffNelder

Registered
Reaction score
Website
geoffnelder.com
Good luck, Clara. It looks promising bearing in mind his previous constructive comments and inviting your re-submission.

I couldn't establish if he takes on sci fi, so haven't contacted him yet. Other irons in the fire - though they appear to be cooling.

Geoff

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
ding ding ding--Dystel vs. Trident, Round 5!

So two agents now have the revised full, both of whom gave input on it that I used. Unbeknownst to them both, they collaborated on the project now in their hands.

So surreal!

baileyday

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm new here and I know this thread is old . . . but what happened? The suspense is killing me. Did you sign with Dystel and Goderich?

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
almost five weeks (and still counting)

Well, since I emailed the agent at D&G who has my full, it's been almost five weeks since he promised to read the revised version.

Also, (and this is pure speculation), one of his clients should be hearing shortly about her proposal that is slightly similar in premise to my story. So I guess I'll be getting the rejection soon (because it's also been five weeks since she turned it in to him). oh well. i'll keep updating as things happen...or don't happen.

Anyone else have updates?

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
My advice would be to subscribe to Publishers Marketplace which is here
It is well worth the money for the period when you're actively seeking an agent.

This will give you some idea of what the agency is selling and to whom.