The Finish the Damn Book Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
Woot!

I just made my goal of 10,000! I have some good ideas for this scene so I think I'll finish it up before I head out to watch the rugby.

Word count today: About 1,700. That's a personal best for me :)

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Welcome eternalised! wow, you're amazing! Are you willing to teach me how you manage to write so many words? I barely get 20k into my manuscript and the action has already reached the climax. I really have no idea how to prolong a book this much.
Congrats to everyone, especially Tepelus! You've been working like a madman there!
I didn't write yesterday. I'm having huge problems with my plot already even though I'm only at chapter 2. On the bright side though, I posted a 1000 words little fic on a forum and was overwhelmed by the positive reactions. So... my confidence got a nice little boost :)

Thanks Andra. It helps when I know where I'm going with my scenes. There have been many times where I've been stuck on a scene and don't write for days, which then makes it even harder to get back into the writing. I decided about a month ago, if I get stuck, then to write a scene further into the future of the book. I may have to change some things later, but at least I'm writing something and don't get stuck in that funk of not being able to get started again. Even if I write only 50 words, it's better than no words.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
I'm just a bit sad right now because my character just killed someone and she's not in a good place. It affected me more than I thought it would. I need to work out anyway, so this is a good enough time to pause :)

Isn't it funny how these make believe characters we create can affect us so much?

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Great numbers everyone!:hooray: Welcome Kamyara and eternalised!:welcome:

+1161 tonight. And my hubby agreed to watch the kids for a couple hours tomorrow so I can go to a coffee shop and get some uninterrupted writing time. Yay!:D

Awesome job! And it's nice to have a hubby that will do things like that for you.

shayla.mist

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
congrats kewii! Tepelus, I've also applied this method two days ago. written a future love scene between my charas and now I went back to the current chapter and managed to finish it without altering the plot. I'm so proud of myself for it. hope my crit group will like it.
Rubay, I'm so jealous! I want a hubby!

Kamyara

the dreamer
Registered
Reaction score
Tepelus, you're right, it really is better than writing nothing at all ^^

today I wrote 600 words so far and I'm still working on it. 1000 would be really nice so I'll make that my goal and it's only 9:25pm in Germany, so I should be able to ^^

And thanks for the welcome Rubay :)

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
500 is better than nothing Hannah :)

I was only able to do about 250 yesterday--due to my schedule. Too much grading and lesson planning. Plus I was kicked out of my room for a period, so that didn't help. Not to mention volleyball tryouts and rugby practice. It was an exhausting day!

Today has been better. 700 words so far. I hope to do at least another 500 in my other prep period. So far so good though ;)

ETA: I reached my 1,200 for the day :)

Last edited:

Kamyara

the dreamer
Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry Hannah, 500 words are really good I think. For me it's sometimes hard to write that many.

Congrats Kewii :)

So far 500 words in a bit more than an hour. My goal for the next 30 days is 2000 words a day. I'm glad I have holidays ^^

Edit: 1k now. I'm so happy :)

Last edited:

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
I thought today was going to be a shitty writing day. I just felt like I was forcing it.

Then I churned out 1,111 words. This is the longest I've done in one sitting before, it took most of my prep.

My total word count is just shy of 13,000 at this point.

shayla.mist

Registered
Reaction score
My story sucks! Actually I love my MCs, but my plot sucks :(( I can't find the energy to write. the moment I open my doc I feel like I want to give up. *sigh*
On a happier note, congrats Kewii for the success. I'm glad for you :)

saraflower

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent challenge idea! I found this at the right time. I thought my second novel (Paranormal/fantasy thriller) was ready for an editor, but then I realised the story needs to be stronger. So, I need to bulk it up and go through it once more after that to be sure it all fits together nicely. It is 57,000 words now. It might go up past 60 k now. :) I WILL stick to this challenge.

Kamyara

the dreamer
Registered
Reaction score
My story sucks! Actually I love my MCs, but my plot sucks :(( I can't find the energy to write. the moment I open my doc I feel like I want to give up. *sigh*

NOOOOOO :( please don't!!! I had that feeling the other day aswell but I kept going and it's working out quite well so far. So if I can do it, then you can do it too :)

welcome saraflower ^^

shayla.mist

Registered
Reaction score
NOOOOOO :( please don't!!! I had that feeling the other day aswell but I kept going and it's working out quite well so far. So if I can do it, then you can do it too :)

Thank you Kamyara :) I'll try my best!

Nice to meet you, saraflower :)

Rubay H.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
maryfrikkenpoppins.wordpress.com
Good job Kewii and Kamyara!
Hand in there andra! I'm having a really tough time getting through one of chapters as it transitions into the third act of my story. Writing is going sssslllllloooowwww...
Haven't added up my numbers but I barely broke 250 yesterday. :(

FranOnTheEdge

Procrastinating lots, writing a bit
Registered
Reaction score
I've not been writing for a while as I'm having some pains in my fingers, but I woke up this morning with an absolutely brilliant idea, however I can't write that part yet because it will have to go near the very end of the story, and I'm not there yet, plus I'll have to check out the reality of it.
Apart from that I needed to do a little rewording near the beginning - to help with some new facts I've inserted - which I hope will help me write the next bit, so not much actual writing progress but feeling pretty good about things.

Actual new words: 252 - hope for the future: priceless!

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
I had a rugby tournament over the weekend, so I didn't get to write. School was cancelled today though, due to all the sand. I've gotten just over 800 words done so far.

I'd like to do another 1,000 later on :)

Total word count now: 14,000

Kamyara

the dreamer
Registered
Reaction score
2k in the last few days ^^ better than nothing at all ^^

and 1k today :)

Last edited:

mistri

Sneezy Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
I last posted on this book a YEAR ago and said I just needed to quickly polish some chapters. I have now chopped a bit out of the book and need to add in some new scenes. To be fair I have hardly written anything over the last year (I have a toddler and hectic job), but I don't want to be working on the same book forever, so I need to make a concerted push to finish writing/revising it this spring.

Did some work over the weekend and am now halfway through the manuscript - most of the word adding is still to come, though.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
I have written nothing in the last week. I need to get back into it before I totally lose interest, now that it appears spring is here and my mind is making its shift from writing mode to gardening mode. I started reading a book that is somewhat but not really similar to mine (involves Vlad the Impaler) and read few chapters last night. All I could think to myself was I write so much better than this guy, and he's published! I'm hoping by reading it more it will give me the push to want to finish mine.

Congrats to everyone here that has made progress!

shayla.mist

Registered
Reaction score
I hear, you Tepelus. I haven't written in 3 days and I feel like I'm losing touch with the story. On the other hand, I'm so tired. All I want to do is sleep.
when I read other people's books though, I always feel that others write way better and I keep wondering how they do it. Then if I open an old draft of mine I realize "hey, I wasn't that bad."
This brain of mine is a mystery :lol:
Good, luck and Don't loosen faith.
Welcome back, mistri!

Lizardmaker

Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneejohnson
Hi, all. Haven't been around in a while. But today I finished chapter 4 of my new novel. Sure hope I can stay more consistent.

Congrats on everyone's progress. Hang in there!

Status
Not open for further replies.