• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Willing Beta Readers Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Currently and completely swamped until further notice. Apologies.

Would like to re-open my beta reading purely for SGL erotica, just as a beta outlet for this writing (oh the self-sacrifice is killing me here, lol).

I don't mind genre/genre crossing, level of erotica (well, except those limits set by most erotic publishers).

Pm blurb (I'm just seeing if it takes my fancy as a reader so I don't want a synopsis) and let me know what you need. I range from basic proof, to being a buffer for bouncing ideas/plot around.

But I like to start off small: short stories, or first chapter to begin with.

Last edited:

clare

Registered
Reaction score
Currently Unavailable; I'll update when I'm done with the Mss I'm working on.

I'm willing to read anything MG or YA, as well as lit. fiction and some genre fiction. I also have an MS I need re-betaed, if you want to swap; it is MG contemporary fantasy, 56,000 words. I will give very honest and sometimes unpleasant advice, even nit-picky stuff, line-by-line (if necessary), but I generally do so in a "nice" way. PM me with a description of your work if you think I'd be a good fit for you.

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This post of mine may well get deleted by a Mod, but come on.....

I love to write and have ideas [poping popping] into my head all the time so [im I'm] pretty sure [i I] could help you if [your you're] stuck there[.]
[Im I'm] not bad with [dioluge dialogue] and checking spelling and such[.]
I love to read fantasy and have some free time on my hands so [i I] would be able to give you a quick response if needed[.]
I also have a novel in progress, fantasy also so if you wanted to swap work [i I] would be happy to[.] [its It's] 35,000 words and climbing[.]
I also [dont don't] mind [R?omance and mystery[.]
If your [intrested interested] Email me[.]

Thanks

Last edited:

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished beta reading my second book... have some time to read more now.

Availability:
I'm retired now and will read as much as you need read as long as it is fairly well edited. Can't promise full time attention but won't pile it in a corner either
Genre/Subjects/Interests:
Crime, Suspense, Mystery, Thriller, History .. anything well written.
Social but not political work is fine too

Not Really Into:
YA, religious, fantasy, pure romance or sci-fi. Definitley no self-help
Anything with more than a much needed f-bomb or two or with excessive profanity won't hold my interest.

Really REALLY not Into:
YA, self help since I can't relate to it and would miss a lot of your scenario
Self Help (I'm too deep into denial)

Favourite Authors:
Twain, Clancy, Steinbeck, WEB Griffith, Eckert, Michner, Koonz,Pratchett

Critique Style
I'm a hard but fair line-by-liner. I'll comment on what I like and what is exceptionally written.
You'll get suggestions occasionaly about the way I would handle a situation without expectation that you would want to follow it closely
I try to insert humor into my crits from time to time.

Subject Matter Issues:
Know what you are writing about Looking for wordsmiths/ writers with the ability to handle vocabulary and dialog well. I like some detail and craftsmanship.

PM me with the details of what you would like to send, what you're looking for in a critique, including a time table if you have one.

katie4747

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.smittenwithbooks.blogspot.com

I am looking to do more of a beta swap-I will beta your manuscript or piece of writing in exchange for you to beta my manuscript as well. I only have a few chapters that I want beta-ed but I am more than willing to beta your whole manuscript. I will correct any grammar or sentence mistakes while reading and write a paragraph about what I think (any negative, positive, things I think should be changed) for each chapter or every few pages. Right now I am not in school so I have a lot of time on my hands.

I am only interested in beta-ing Young Adult or Middle Grade novels at the moment. I will most likely take on any piece of writing as long as it isn't nonfiction. Please PM me a synopsis of your book.

My manuscript is a young adult paranormal romance about werewolves. So if you're interested please PM me and we'll get started

tjames

Registered
Reaction score

I am looking to Beta a Fantasy story with a strong female lead or one where there is little fighting. Fight scenes are ok but I am looking for a story that focus's on individual choices rather than a battle or magic system. I am not looking to swap since my current work in process is in its very early stages.

I won't be able to catch too many grammar issues. Grammar is my biggest weakness. I am however, very good with spotting and suggesting fixes for plot holes.

salmah91

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Hi! Salmah here :)
I'm available to beta read my preferred Genres are: Contemporary Fiction, Fantasy, and Paranormal (All YA). Sex, violence, and language are fine by me. If you want to get an idea of the kinds of books I like I'm a fan of Carolyn Mackler and Maureen Johnson. You can email me at [email protected] or you can tweet me at twitter.com/daudrs! I'd be happy to help

Demiansky

Registered
Reaction score
CLOSED: Welp, that was quick, I'm already capped for the time being on beta reads.

Hello, I'm open for beta reading. I'm ideally qualified for Contemporary Fiction and Science Fiction/ Fantasy. Typically, I don't focus as much on holding the writer to strict syntactical guidelines (I do for grammar, though, of course) and I'm more interested in focusing on what flows best and complements a given passage.

I don't pull any punches if I find a story flat or characters uninteresting, but I'll always stress the fact that I am only 1 reader and that my perspective is only a single among many.

I'll read up to 100K words, but if a work has an excess of problems early on, I may expect you to go back to the drawing board before reading further.

Last edited:

ifavorentropy

Young and Restless
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'd love to beta for someone. I'll read pretty much anything, but I'm best suited to YA novels (wouldn't mind middle-grade either). I'm still in school, but I should be able to turn things over rather quickly until summer's over. I'm great with spelling and grammar and wouldn't mind editing those as well as critting the overall piece. I prefer to get a chapter or two to begin in order to make sure I'll be able to give useful feedback. PM me or email me if interested (contact info in my signature).

chloesmom

Need to read
Registered
Reaction score
Available to Beta read

I am available

I read
Murder/mystery
Suspense
Detective
Legal mystery/suspense
Christian
Pioneer

I don't like
Erotica
Paranormal
SciFi
Romance
Fantasy

I will beta
WIP through finished
Short story
Long novels (actually the longer the better :))

I will comment on
Plot
Flow
Continuity
Character believability
Grammar
and anything else you may need...

PM me and let me know what you need!

Chloesmom

Last edited:

Darkshore

Stranger
Registered
Reaction score
I'm available as a beta-reader for fantasy, urban fantasy, and horror. I would read others, but I don't think I'd know much about them. I would really prefer to trade beta reads. I will beta read novels or short stories, in exchange for beta reads of my short stories ( average around 5k words.). Pm me if interested.

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
I'm available as a beta-reader for fantasy, urban fantasy, and horror. I would read others, but I don't think I'd know much about them. I would really prefer to trade beta reads. I will beta read novels or short stories, in exchange for beta reads of my short stories ( average around 5k words.). Pm me if interested.

I usually follow or subscribe to an RSS if there is one. As yours has neither, I'm sorry but find no reason to comment.

FurElyse

Registered
Reaction score
I'm new to this website, but I've beta read on other websites for about three years now. I've read fantasy, fanfiction, spiritual, and fiction so far, but I'd be more than happy to try out any type of writing. I suppose I enjoy fiction (especially crime, thriller, suspense) the most, but as I said, I'd love to beta read anything. PM me if you'd like help!

Darkshore

Stranger
Registered
Reaction score
I usually follow or subscribe to an RSS if there is one. As yours has neither, I'm sorry but find no reason to comment.

Was this in reference to my blog? I'm a bit new at blogging so I'm still figuring a few things out. Just added a subscription button, but I believe I broke the RSS feed somehow. My apologies.

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
Was this in reference to my blog? I'm a bit new at blogging so I'm still figuring a few things out. Just added a subscription button, but I believe I broke the RSS feed somehow. My apologies.

I'm sure your blog has something that looks like this you can add to it -

images

It will probably give two options so people can follow your blogs and comments people make to it.

Alice Grace

Registered
Reaction score

I prefer M/M stories but might also look at other types if they catch my interest. PM me the description of your story and if I like what I read I'll look at it.

I'll look at story and characterization.

/Alice

Last edited:

angelfrancis

I got this!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
I am available to Beta with someone interested in swapping with mine. I will ONLY Beta YA, with any sub genre except dystopian, mostly because I have no experience in that. But also, if there's no underlining love story, I'm probably not the right one for you. I go all the way with beta--plot, line edits, characters, dialogue, everything. I swap a chapter at a time to make sure we work well together. PM me for more information!!

Empress_Isis

Jenna Cosgrove
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.popeighties.com

I'm available to beta adult fiction - contemporary, women's, historical, sci-fi or fantasy. I've previously done two novels for other writers. Not looking to swap, my current WIP is in the badlands of revision and not close to readable! I just enjoy the experience of beta reading.

I don't really line edit, because I figure half of what's written is probably going to change anyway, but I will comment on general style and grammar, plot development, characters, setting and anything else that sticks out.

I particularly love stories that are a bit weird or out-there. I look forward to working with someone!

Last edited:

AutumnJLake

Registered
Reaction score
I would like to beta. I am willing to do Romantic Erotica or Erotica.

tedi.s

Demigods, wolves, & Vamps... Oh my!
Registered
Reaction score

I prefer M/M stories but might also look at other types if they catch my interest. PM me the description of your story and if I like what I read I'll look at it.

I'll look at story and characterization.

/Alice

Alice just finished Beta reading my book and did an amazing job. Much more thorough then she had to led on were abilities. She was very modest and really is a capable and adept Beta reader for M/M Erotica! I feel like I should pay her for the work she did! Use her if you get the chance some day she will be too expensive for you to be able to afford her awesomeness!

Last edited:

nathanrudy

Kendy's Father, Maureen's Husband
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nathanrudy.com
Mysteries, Fantasy, Sci-Fi

Available again for ONE manuscript. Completed, please, only since I don't want to do line edits.

Two folks on this board have generously agreed to read my WIP in second draft form, and so I am going to offer my beta reading to someone else.

I can't do it too often, but if you have a completed mystery I am willing to take a look. I'll maybe do fantasy or sci-fi if your pitch interests me.

PM me with interest.

Nathan

Last edited:

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
I'll beta any kind of YA. If your writing is heavy on navel gazing or flowery, I'm probably not the one for you.

I also shy away from very high fantasy or sci-fi.
I love anything paranormal, including PNR. Urban fantasy is good too. I'll read contemporary if it's a bit dark, something gritty. I wouldnt be opposed to critting MG, but I don't write it, so it would be general feedback.

I'm a very very fast reader so turn around can be as soon as you like.

I'm also looking for a beta swap for a YA PNR/UF that's about 82,000 words

Last edited:

Xaenyth

Crooked
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
AVAILABILITY: Available as 5.27.12

Preferences: Adult Urban fantasy, paranormal romance, paranormal

I Don't Like & Won't Read: YA of any kind

Critique Style: Tough love. I'll tell you what I like and what I don't like but I won't beat you over the head with it. I'm better at doing big picture stuff but I'll point out anything else that really stands out.

Time Frame: One to two weeks.

PM me with basics.

Last edited:

LJD

Registered
Reaction score

Will beta: romance (historical and contemporary), women's fiction, chick lit, mainstream/commercial, possibly literary fiction (really depends on the project). Particularly like humor and anything multicultural.

Will not beta: Sci-fi, fantasy, crime, MG, YA. Also, no paranormal romance or romantic suspense. Unlikely to beta historical fiction (other than historical romances).

time frame: 1-2 weeks

about me: I write romance/women's fiction. I have done some beta-ing, but not extensively yet. I would like to read a chapter or two before agreeing to beta the rest of the manuscript if you have no SYW posts.

I will not beta for people who have no activity in this community.

*Please see post from sept 2013 on page 15*

Last edited:

alvin123

Author of Hell to Pay (Blood for S)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alvinjatwater.com
I'm in. Beta and Reviewer.

Hello

Ah yes, the wonderful life of beta reading. surprisingly, I'm experienced in this (blame school, college, reading, and those weird invisible people that follow me all the time!)

Availability:
As of 8/23/2011. Status: Not available. Because of my current betas and college I cannot beta anything new right now. However, you can still send emails and get on the waiting list which is actually small as of now. See sig. However, no guarantees that you'll be beta'd right then and there. Use me as a back up plan and be prepared for possibly a long wait.

Schedule:
College will start soon, but I'm a big reader and writer.

Preferences:
YA fantasy only. (First person is my main preference, but if you insist, I can step outside that boundary for 3rd person.) Ya Fantasy: romance, adventure, urban, whatever. NO TWILIGHT-LIKE YA. I repeat, NO TWILIGHT-LIKE YA PERIOD. You'll one day understand why its painful for a male like myself to read things like that. I really, really, really, like series. (book 1, 2, etc.) Of course I can only read 1 at a time.

TIME FRAME:
I'm the fastest there is, period. I can get readings done in less than 1-2 nights. *laughs* This is what you want me to say right? Truthfully, I can be this fast on some days (as in, I'm truly reading your story and can't put the book down) AND on other days, I'm really busy.
But I'll try not to go over 6-7 days - 2 weeks.

Free Critique AKA personal opinion:

Yes...I'll give you a nice and lengthy review --but not too long that you'll lose interest. I'm also humorous in most of my reviews. Here are my review points:

1. Storyline: Was it actually a story or did you simply give me a boring overview?

2. My favorite characters
2.5 - Character development, strengths and weaknesses.

3. Voice. If you voice is strong or its weak. I'll give you a simple answer and an explanation.

4. Rating 0-10. I know this is petty and unimportant in most cases, but I'll give an honest rating whether it be harsh or in some cases: Negative numbers. Use this review and rating to your advantage and PLEASE don't take anything personal. I want to contribute to this site and helping out those that want help or have helped me is the best way.

note: If your review actually reaches the negative side, then your novel is really trashed. I'm saying this because I never give out negative numbers. So please... no spam.

2nd note:
I'm generous. But if I select you to deliver a harsh review, don't fret. I really want something out your work -- as in becoming one of your future readers.

Words: You should know the typical word count of a completed YA. Around 40K, 60K, 80K. Not 100K, 200K, etc.
However... 1st person YA's that are that long will be considered. Just send me an email if you want a beta of that long o_O and I'll see if I can do it.

About me:

I've been a member of Absolute write since 2008. I released a book, Bound, not too long ago and now I'm promoting that now.

I'm working on publishing my novel series The Destined and will greatly appreciate beta for betas..

Contact me:

If you like my standards and want a beta from me, just send an email. I mean you can PM in you would like but whenever I log into a wifi hotspot, the first thing I check is my email then gradually tackle everything else. You'll be lucky if I even get to absolute write in a speedy manner.
Email: [email protected]

Also, for YA shorts, Please tell me first. I prefer to beta novels only, but will consider shorts if I have time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.