All Things Middle Grade

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome JoAnn and Trirae!

Don't worry about joining right in. Some of us (me) are nowhere near experts. And most of us don't bite (except when severely provoked, which does happen now and then).

I'm glad to meet you both.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
yeah, sometimes we growl a little bit, but only when the trolls start acting up...

timp67

Guinea pig in the laboratory of God
Registered
Reaction score
...or the snickerdoodles disappear...

ColoradoKate

Registered
Reaction score
images
images

(I wasn't gonna KEEP 'em.... )

timp67

Guinea pig in the laboratory of God
Registered
Reaction score
That has got to be my favorite post EVER, ColoradoKate. :)

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Remember what happened last time there were snickerdoodles in the house? Judy... she... I can't even say it. :scared:

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:Jump: Mmmm, a little bird told me there were snickerdoodles here. Let's all keep our clothes on, though. :D

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I failed my first MG book--I can show you all the rejections, despite the "great concept" and the "beautiful writing". In the end, I had two agents tell me that I should revise it as a YA, which I tried and never finished. The book sort of straddled the line, I guess. The plot felt more MG, the writing, I guess, turned out to be more YA.

I'm pretty comfortable in YA and so I've returned to writing for that.

Except last week, when I realized that my fluffy Christmas novel wasn't meant to be YA. It was so obviously MG. And so when I did my writing retreat/3-Day Novel event, I wrote a new MG.

OMG, I love writing MG. I especially love MG "romance" so much more than YA romance (romance as the element, not the genre--it's very much fantasy).

*cuddles with MG*

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
OMG, I love writing MG. I especially love MG "romance" so much more than YA romance (romance as the element, not the genre--it's very much fantasy).

*cuddles with MG*

Welcome to the club, Sage! I hope it is a long and productive romance.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes we need to spend time away from the good stuff, just in order to appreciate it more.

You went on a no-MG diet. Now you get to savor every bite!

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Hurray for you, Sage! Now go over to the bouncy castle and bounce to your heart's content. Then get back to writing, because, you know, that's what we're here for. (snicker)

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hurray for you, Sage! Now go over to the bouncy castle and bounce to your heart's content. Then get back to writing, because, you know, that's what we're here for. (snicker)
I'm pretty good at bouncing. When I was a kid, my mom (Winnie) nicknamed me Tigger for a reason.

:welcome: to the kidlit gang, Sage! :D

I'm rereading the book now. I'm so in love, even though I know it needs a lot of work. But the advantage to writing a book in such a short time is that I never got a chance to not be excited about it.

toldyouso

Surly Temple
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
toldyousoandso.blogspot.com
Hello everyone! I am new to the whole of the boards and I finally found this thread. :) I recently finished a YA novel that is in the query stage, but for the last couple of months I have been working on a MG book (although in australia it is often called 'intermediate'). It's got a bit of adventure and some fantasy elements. I already think it's a stand-alone. It's still early days, but I am really stuck into it. It's so wonderful and I love having 11 year old characters. I've wanted to figure out how to write it ever since I started working in a bookshop and asked by the 11-12 year olds and their parents for recommendations. It was usually the reluctant readers and the insanely prolific readers who wanted the most help, which really makes you think on your toes about these books. Although I don't work there any more (it was a Borders. sigh), I now have a real appreciation of some of the more awesome books in that category.

Anyway, I am currently working through this whole thread. It's really great to read through. I think I'm going to like it here :)