Status
Not open for further replies.

Lydia Sharp

for the love of love
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lydiasharp.blogspot.com
Started DARKFALL by Janice Hardy last night (technically MG, but I think it could go either way). God I love her books. Can't wait to see what she puts out next now that the Healing Wars series is done.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Started DARKFALL by Janice Hardy last night (technically MG, but I think it could go either way). God I love her books. Can't wait to see what she puts out next now that the Healing Wars series is done.

ooh! That's one of the books I'm getting with Xmas money from the hubs :) Can't wait to see how it ends though I might have to read the last third of Blue Fire because it's been so long in between :( This is why I sometimes love when I don't discover a series until the whole thing is out.

Lydia Sharp

for the love of love
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lydiasharp.blogspot.com
I might have to read the last third of Blue Fire because it's been so long in between

I thought the same thing, but couldn't resist just diving into the book as soon as it was delivered.

No need to refresh with Blue Fire. The first 50-ish pages of Darkfall have "reminders" woven into the narrative. Won't hurt to reread the final bit of book two, but I don't think it's *necessary.*

Chanelley

Registered
Reaction score
Finished Graffiti Moon and loved it. Onto Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I want to have a spur of the moment contest for the first person from this thread to PM me their email address (or sends it in a rep comment). I will send you the ebook of my YA novel, Summer on Fire. GO>>>

Last edited:

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I just re-read HUNTED by Cheryl Rainfield, as I will be writing a review for it this weekend. It is due to be released in a few days. LOVED it!

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Hey, Smish...just sent you an ecopy of Summer on Fire. Enjoy!

strandedhero

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a quarter the way through Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma and I am loving it so far! Such beautiful writing.

chevbrock

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading "Fat Boy Saves World" by Ian Bone. I'm having a little bit of trouble getting into it. I'm not really sure why, I think maybe it's because of the constant references to the "Fat Boy" being fat, to me, it's a bit overdone. The voice is very "manly", too, which makes it hard believing the sister's POV. It's a good story, though.

Emberchyld

Hanging out in Medieval Castles
Registered
Reaction score
Website
isabelbandeira.blogspot.com
About to start "Juliet Immortal." As someone who rates "Romeo and Juliet" as one of my least favorite of Shakespeare's plays, I cannot wait to see how the author works this twist.

Commutinggirl

Registered
Reaction score
Finished The DUFF, read some negative reviews for being too "out there" but I enjoyed it, even though I would have liked a bit more development on Casey and Jessica. I could hear the voice of Bianca and had a little crush on Wesley :)

About to start "Die for me" by Amy Plum

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm reading "Fat Boy Saves World" by Ian Bone. I'm having a little bit of trouble getting into it. I'm not really sure why, I think maybe it's because of the constant references to the "Fat Boy" being fat, to me, it's a bit overdone. The voice is very "manly", too, which makes it hard believing the sister's POV. It's a good story, though.

Oh god...what's it about? I'm halfway through writing Fat Superhero...about a high school reject who is a superhero in his own head. Deals with inner life and outer life...what he WOULD do in certain situations...until he actually does become a Superhero. I've never heard of Fat Boy Saves World.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've never heard of Fat Boy Saves World, either.

The title reminds me of Fat Kid Rules the World, by K.L. Going, though - and it's an AWESOME book.

SakuraReyna

Writing once, twice, and forever.
Registered
Reaction score
I recently read, finished, and loved my first YA series about vampires. It's the smash-hit My Blood Approves series by Amanda Hocking.

MysteryScribe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kerrimaniscalco.com
I just finished reading ASHES by Ilsa J Bick and at first I was all WTF about the ending..BUT the more I think about it, the more I sort of love it.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES: RED LEECH by Andrew Lane, which is the second in the YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES series and which brings in John Wilkes Booth, a plan to regroup the Confederate cause and a big red leech. The story itself is a bit silly (and I'm bored of OTT villains with disabilities) but I like how he weaves in bits of the Holmes legend to explain the origins.

Am about to start ADVENTURES OF A WIMPY WEREWOLF by Tim Collins which is the third in his WIMPY series. I'm a bit disappointed that this isn't another Nigel Mullet wimpy vampire adventure but I'm hoping for another snigger worthy adventure.

MM

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished As I Wake by Elizabeth Scott. This is the second book of hers I've read now that was just a little too "out there" for me. I think I like her earlier works better.

cherita

Registered
Reaction score
Currently reading The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. Maybe I'm just going to be the minority that doesn't like it, because right now the false suspense and odd word choices are making it hard for me to get into (eyes do not "pillage" people, certainly not twice in less than 50 pages).

But, I'm still holding out hope that the paranormal will finally show up and/or there will be a kick-ass ending in which Mara Dyer is *not* able to make someone dead with her mind (which seems so painfully obvious at this point barely 164 pages in, it has to be a red herring. I hope. I'm also hoping all the stuff with her dad's case and the dog will tie in as well, but I have the sneaky feeling they're just plot filler.)

*sigh*

erin_michelle

Foreshadowing Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Currently reading The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. Maybe I'm just going to be the minority that doesn't like it, because right now the false suspense and odd word choices are making it hard for me to get into (eyes do not "pillage" people, certainly not twice in less than 50 pages).

But, I'm still holding out hope that the paranormal will finally show up and/or there will be a kick-ass ending in which Mara Dyer is *not* able to make someone dead with her mind (which seems so painfully obvious at this point barely 164 pages in, it has to be a red herring. I hope. I'm also hoping all the stuff with her dad's case and the dog will tie in as well, but I have the sneaky feeling they're just plot filler.)

*sigh*

You're not alone--I was wildly underwhelmed with M@ra. The paranormal aspect doesn't kick in until the end, then it takes a complete 180 turn, and ends in the dreaded cliffhanger.

(As an aside: I've noticed more and more debut novels are ending in cliffhangers, or where you can tell it's definitely Book One of series; which seems to negate the whole make-sure-your-novel-stands-alone argument for querying authors.)

I'm tempted to read Rick Yancey's I$le of Blood; but I know if I do I'm just going to get depressed about my own writing. I'd give my left kidney to be able to write as well as he does. I *love* his Monstrumologist series (I devoured the previous two in two days) and am so glad S&S didn't drop it like they threatened.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Finished ADVENTURES OF WIMPY WEREWOLF by Tim Collins and it's another snigger-worthy take on werewolves and vampires with some new characters and familiar faces.

Am about to start BEING BILLY by Phil Earle, which has won a number of awards and is about a boy in care.

MM

Status
Not open for further replies.