What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Rereading LIAR. It's interesting to read for the second time, knowing the maybe-maybe-not plot twist and seeing how the MC weaves it into the story from the beginning.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I've almost finished STRANGE ANGELS: DEFIANCE by Lili St Crow and the plot only seems to have started in the last 100 pages, which isn't great. TBH I'm hamstrung in part because I hadn't read the previous 2 books, which means I'm a bit behind on relationships and key series plot events. Saying that, the story of this book is supposedly about how Dru wants to get Graves back and then does nothing except talk about how she wants him back (intermixed with some training sessions and an assassination attempt). The action is well handled but it doesn't seem to me to really be moving anything on.

Haven't decided what to read next. May give BEASTLY a try.

MM

bertrigby

Dysfunctional dystopian
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Sapphique. WOW, loved it!!!

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Started DIVERGENT. I like it so far, it reminds me of classic SF, albeit with YA themes. I also noticed just how effective the "unknown/scary test, we shall separate people into groups" kind of beginning seems to be, I shared the same excitement with Harry Potter when he was being sorted. But then, maybe it's just me.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I've started YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES: RED LEECH by Andrew Lane, which is the sequel to YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES and aims to tell the story of the famous detective's teenage years. It's an okay read - fast moving and with story origins in the American Civil War - there's plenty here for fans of the detective and Lane has done tonnes of research.

MM

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm finally going to read Matched. I'm not really expecting to like it much, but I'm going to give it a try.

msforster

easily startled
Registered
Reaction score
Website
msforster.blogspot.com
I loved MATCHED. It was one of the best books I read last year. But then, I'm a sucker for dystopians where the world is initially portrayed as perfect, and then slowly shown to be broken.

I'm in the middle of VARIANT right now, and liking it a lot. And I just started MISS PEREGRINE'S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN. Holy crap, that book is good. The only downside is, I'm reading it with my book group so I only get to read a few chapters a week. :-(

OpheliaRevived

Real Men Have Gills
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Smish

If you like poetry, you'll like Matched. I won't say why so as not to spoil it.

This isn't a book to skim. (I admit I've skimmed books in the past.) Condie has the character of Cassia hidden in her fist when the book opens and then she slowly reveals her by uncurling one finger at a time. I was surprised by the emotion this book dug out of me. I don't generally "love love love" dystopians, but this book "got me". The plot, characters, love story, etc., unwind at an excellent pace. The romance was real and not over the top.

I didn't mean for that to sound like a review. LOL

OpheliaRevived

Real Men Have Gills
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
BTW, I'm officially the last person on the planet to have read Hunger Games 1, 2 and 3. I read all three in a few days. I'm still "team Gale". :p

emmawhy

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished reading Ash a dystopian YA novel, it was quite good but it felt a little too short to me; the cut off point was a little early - although I will definitely read the sequel as the story itself was enjoyable :)

I am now re-reading my favourite book, City of Glass :D

lvae

oh so shiny
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished reading The Moth Diaries, by Rachel Klein. Very confused about what actually happened.

I'm so excited because I finally got my hands on a copy of Plain Kate by Erin Bow! *dances*

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of MAGIC UNDER GLASS by Jaclyn Dolamore. A little bit in love so far.

Chanelley

Registered
Reaction score
Gave up on 'On a Dark Wing'. Might go back to it, but there's other books on my shelf I'm more excited to read. Pretty much, On A Dark Wing was filled with multiple POVs (some in first, some in third), nothing was happening, and the main MC was a whiny, brat. So yeah, might go back to it but I might not.

Reading Everneath now. Hooked so far and loving it.

Lizzy

Quiet but observant
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to get through SHATTER ME by Tahereh Mafi. I was excited to read it because I've heard many good things about it, but the writing style is a little too much for me.

Lizzy

Quiet but observant
Registered
Reaction score
About to start Shatter Me.

What do you think of the writing style? At first, it didn't bother me, but then all the strikethroughs and similes got to be a little too much for me. I kind of thought the writing took away from the story, although I know a lot of people really liked the writing. I feel weird for not liking it!

I finished the book this morning, and I enjoyed it a lot more once it got closer to the end.

strawberryblondie

Registered
Reaction score
What do you think of the writing style? At first, it didn't bother me, but then all the strikethroughs and similes got to be a little too much for me. I kind of thought the writing took away from the story, although I know a lot of people really liked the writing. I feel weird for not liking it!

I finished the book this morning, and I enjoyed it a lot more once it got closer to the end.

I'm on page 76 and so far I'm liking it. There have been a few times where I had to pause and reread a line, but the writing style hasn't really bothered me. Don't feel bad for not liking it as much as you wanted to. Everyone likes different things.

OpheliaRevived

Real Men Have Gills
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to get through Beautiful Creatures now. I'm on chapter five, and not drawn in yet.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Sh@tter Me, actually. I have to say I liked the writing better than the story. I adored the first 100 or so pages.

breaking_burgundy

Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to get through SHATTER ME by Tahereh Mafi. I was excited to read it because I've heard many good things about it, but the writing style is a little too much for me.

I only read the first chapter, and I wanted to pull out a red pen.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Trying to get through Beautiful Creatures now. I'm on chapter five, and not drawn in yet.
Same happened to me though later in the book. I'm developing a weird reading habit--I lose interest about 3/4 through the book because it seems to me like I know exactly what will happen in the last part. Though it's often true, I do. xd I guess it's a sign of not being attached to characters enough--because when I'm adoring a character, I want to "observe" them even if they are predictable.

I wonder if I should order Sh@tter Me, because I'm very curious about it, but on the other hand, I might get frustrated at the lack of ending (at least, that's what I was told--that it is very obviously the first book in a series rather than a standalone with series potential.)

I'm finishing Divergent and I've just finished yet another book by Laurell K. Hamilton, but that one is not YA. I never noticed before just how much her writing style is similar to that of Cassandra Clare. No wonder I like City of Ashes & Clockwork Angel. 50 books in 2011, here I go despite tons of highly distracting manga.

Status
Not open for further replies.