What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
I put City... aside for a while and started reading CLOCKW0RK ANGEL, and it's totally cool. I guess I was in the mood for a change of scenery. No idea why so many people seem to hate this book: it's visual, imaginative and full of dangerous adventures.

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
I adored ANNA DRESSED IN BLOOD. Took my time reading so I could savour it. One of my best reads of 2011.

Just started THE SCORPIO RACES today.

Kats

Registered
Reaction score
I just read Six Impossible Things by Fiona Wood (fun!) and Saving June by Hannah Harrington (loved this one, great voice and both funny and sad. Great love interest too.).

Chanelley

Registered
Reaction score
Darker Still by Leanna Renee Hieber. Very quirky so far!!

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I finished SOUL BEACH by Kate Harrison and although the idea's great, the execution left me meh and actually a bit irritated. It's billed as a thriller built around the question of who murdered Alice's sister Megan. The problem is that it's a first in a series, so (SPOILER) you don't find out who murdered Megan at all (although there are some highly telegraphed hints, which I'd be disappointed if they turned out to be true). Instead the focus shifts to another character in the last quarter who there's been little contact with and who is never developed. All in all, I felt a bit cheated really.

Have started THE THIEF-TAKER'S APPRENTICE by Stephen Deas. It's a YA/adult fantasy cross-over about an orphan thief who finds himself apprenticed to a thief-taker and caught up in a world of intrigue and murder. It's been a bit of a slow start but I'm enjoying the world building.

MM

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Still reading CLOCKW0RK ANGEL, I must say Jem is a grand example of the Nice Boy type done right. The biggest downfall of the Nice Boy type is being too ordinary and easy to see through--also, when in attempt to make him sweeter the author saws off all his edges until he becomes bland. Jem, on the other hand, is ethereal (this word is actually used to describe him more than once), mysterious and complicated--while never ceasing to be nice. Though I can't help thinking Tessa isn't quite right for him, because their characters don't play off each other, they are both kind of quiet and sensible.

I also started on SUPERNATURALLY.

JustJess

Registered
Reaction score
Currently reading Anna Dressed in Blood I am a sucker for a young male protagonist (some of my fave male protags were in: Going Bovine, Madmen Underground, Unwind, The Replacement) and have always loved a good ghost story.

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Matched which is apparently the first of a trilogy but it's going along a bit slowly... hoping more "stuff" happens soon....

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
I finished Anna Dressed in Blood the other night. Loved the voice and all, it's definitely on my favorites list. There are references in it to Cas being the ghost equivalent of Buffy and I was like, yeah, that's about it. Gruesome at times, great snarky narration/dialogue, but not really scary.

Halfway through Ripple by Mandy Hubbard. The writing is good, I'm just not feeling all that attached to the character.

cherita

Registered
Reaction score
Just started Daughter of Smoke and Bone yesterday and I'm not quite halfway in (39% according to Goodreads) -- but now I'm scared. I can tell the Karou/Akiva romance will start soon, and that seems to be where everyone thought it went off the rails. *fingers crossed that Laini Taylor will not let me down, because I love her in a total fan-girly way*

Still reading CLOCKW0RK ANGEL, I must say Jem is a grand example of the Nice Boy type done right. The biggest downfall of the Nice Boy type is being too ordinary and easy to see through--also, when in attempt to make him sweeter the author saws off all his edges until he becomes bland. Jem, on the other hand, is ethereal (this word is actually used to describe him more than once), mysterious and complicated--while never ceasing to be nice.

OMG, yes! I thought Tess was meh, and didn't like this book as much as The Mortal Instruments, but I loved Jem! He was a fabulous character because he was interesting, something a lot of authors seem to forget to make their nice guys. The Asian dudes are always the most interesting characters in Cassandra Clare novels (all two of them, lol).

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Finishing up Some Girls Are and it's not YA, but I just started The Informers and I'm about a third of the way through Kafka on the Shore.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
There are references in it to Cas being the ghost equivalent of Buffy and I was like, yeah, that's about it.
Yeah, there were times when I thought the author was drawing from Buffy, so the direct references were a little annoying to me, but I enjoyed the book so I forgave

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
The Buffy talk has moved ANNA DR3SSED IN BLOOD to the top of my reading list. :tongue

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Let's be clear, I adore Buffy.

But when I'm already thinking, "This character is standing in for this role," and "this character was clearly named for this one," and of course, "it has a Buffy-esque vibe to it," and then the author puts a neon sign in the book telling me to relate the book to Buffy, I start rolling my eyes.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Let's be clear, I adore Buffy.

But when I'm already thinking, "This character is standing in for this role," and "this character was clearly named for this one," and of course, "it has a Buffy-esque vibe to it," and then the author puts a neon sign in the book telling me to relate the book to Buffy, I start rolling my eyes.

I didn't think about the Buffy-esque vibe until it was actually said, but then I thought, yeah, it is exactly like that. I was far more annoyed by Paranormalcy because I'd heard that it was like Buffy, but it wasn't at all - the MC was very passive. I also read Deception by Lee Nichols because someone said the character was kickass by Buffy, and she wasn't all that either. This book I suppose is the closest I've seen if you're really looking for a comparison to the Slayer, but like I said, I didn't think about it until much later, so it felt original to me. And, the voice is awesome.

WyrdeDragon

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished reading I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett, the fourth, and probably final, book in the Tiffany Aching series. Interesting books, a sort of coming-of-age story about a young witch. It started with her at 5 (in Wee Free Men) and at the end of the last book she's 17. All of them have Pratchett's characteristic humor and fun with language. Also good YA, dealing with finding her place in the world, being accepted as an adult by others, handling jealous rivals and so on. Also, a lot of cleaning up after her own mistakes. I always love Pratchett, but this is one of his better books.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished The Fox Inheritance. It started out quite strong, but by the end everyone was way, way, way TSTL and maybe didn't deserve to survive. I almost never feel that way about characters. But come on!

Now starting The Pull of Gravity which is pretty awesome so far.

JustJess

Registered
Reaction score
Just started Brenna Yovanoff's The Space Between...I really enjoyed The Replacement and have been waiting for this book to be released (pleasantly surprised to find it at the library)

Lydia Sharp

for the love of love
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lydiasharp.blogspot.com
Totally devouring ALSO KNOWN AS ROWAN POHI by Ralph Fletcher. YA contemp with a male lead.

Haven't seen much talk about it, but it's been hard to put down since I started it last night. I hope more people pick it up soon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.