Mind-wrestling with Poets (it's a community thread! Come on in!)

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I'm okay with my family members seeing my fiction, but some of the poetry might get me in trouble.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
This one was odd. I mean my Uncle is a fisherman, and thought I'd write him a poem about fishing. Though I'm not sure how he feels about me using the words float and gloat together. Plus the accidental global warming themes.

It's like I'm cursed with environmental messages at times. I'm not sure I like that.

Anyone else writing forms your not used to? I think at this point, the only reason I don't like country is the accent. But then there is British Country, Irish Country. So my feelings are lot more mixed now.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
So. I bought myself a Christmas present of poetry, which should arrive tomorrow or Friday in the mail.

It's Sylvia Plath's Ariel: The Restored Edition: A Facsimile of Plath's Manuscript, Reinstating Her Original Selection and Arrangement

It's a facsimile of Plath's original manuscript as she left it on her desk, including her handwritten notes. It restores twelve poems her husband cut out, drops twelve he added, and prints the manuscript in Plath’s own order.

I can't wait to check it out.

ETA:

I also bought her novel, The Bell Jar, which I've never read. That's my plan for New Year's Eve.

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
It pisses me off that her husband tinkered with her manuscript, especially to that extent. It sounds like she had a pretty clear idea of how she wanted to present her work to readers.

I'll report back when I've done a read or two.

Last edited:

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, you definitely have to let me know how you like Ariel.

I'm listening to The Dead Authors Podcast of F. Scott Fitzgerald and James Joyce, and giggling like an idiot while I sit at my desk.

Matty lll

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, you definitely have to let me know how you like Ariel.

I'm listening to The Dead Authors Podcast of F. Scott Fitzgerald and James Joyce, and giggling like an idiot while I sit at my desk.

What is this? Sounds very interesting, I should be revising right now, but I'm always looking for things to idle away my time with :D

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
http://thedeadauthorspodcast.libsyn.com/appendix-g-f-scott-fitzgerald-and-james-joyce

So, this is a podcast but is performed on stage with a live audience. The premise is that HG Wells travels back in time and brings dead authors to the stage and interviews them. It is improv, and absolutely hysterical.

I highly recommend scrolling through their list of past podcasts (and specifically recommend Edgar Allen Poe and JD Salinger as one of my very favorites). The Appendices episodes are the best: mash ups with more than one author.
The drunk Fitzgerald improv is killing me right now.

Last edited:

Matty lll

Registered
Reaction score
http://thedeadauthorspodcast.libsyn.com/appendix-g-f-scott-fitzgerald-and-james-joyce

So, this is a podcast but is performed on stage with a live audience. The premise is that HG Wells travels back in time and brings dead authors to the stage and interviews them. It is improv, and absolutely hysterical.

I highly recommend scrolling through their list of past podcasts (and specifically recommend Edgar Allen Poe and JD Salinger as one of my very favorites). The Appendices episodes are the best: mash ups with more than one author.
The drunk Fitzgerald improv is killing me right now.

That sounds really good, I'll check it out shortly.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Lord Byron and Norman Mailer had me actually crying I laughed so hard. :)
(Appendix E from October 2014)

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I'll have to listen to some of these -- they sound like they might go well with dinner tonight. Damn it, I need to get work done today.

So many things I want to read/listen to/write/do -- and none of them will bring me money, career advancement, a devoted husband, or a white picket fence with three bonny golden-haired children impaled upon it.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
If you do listen to them, start with Salinger and Poe. Then do Lord Byron and Mailer.

After that, however you'd like to listen. But those two...oh those two.

I've listened to nearly all of them. :) it's good for a commute.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I wrestle you from your mind

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Kuwi and I have been bitch-slapping each other in P&CE. Does that count?

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
she wrangles the flowers
with haberdasher flair
of neither
les hommes or terror
and with haste leaves them

Been sampling some chanson nouveau so thought I would give it a whirl on my own. Getting the liaison down is hard (edit: and looking back I failed miserably on that.) Can understand why many of the chansoneuses et al opt to lapse between English and French when trying to make Anglophone recordings.

Last edited:

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
Is mind-trestling allowed? One attempts to uplift, rather than pin, another's mind. OK?

Usually I think
everyone is a poet,
but on some days,
I know it.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I'm wondering about cudgels. Are they permitted?

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Oh, good. It just so happens I brought one with me. Anyone want to have a friendly discussion about similes or metaphors?

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, good. It just so happens I brought one with me. Anyone want to have a friendly discussion about similes or metaphors?

Well, no, not really, but there's an ugly words thread in Office Party, and I mentioned your cudgel there. Not by name, of course.

I told them I was very disappointed in the thread. I doesn't have nearly enough ugly words in it. Most of them like all the words. Very tedious.