The Old Farts Bar, Grill and Infirmary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurdyman

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The wedding story was hilarious. Thanks for the laugh. I really needed one.

I do wonder how the wedding night went. You know, with no one there to coach them 'n all.

Many years ago, we played for a wedding reception that was an even bigger dud. It was held in a church's social hall. We set up our band at one end of the hall and approx. 60 people sat at tables at the other end of the hall. We played our music while the guests ate and talked in hushed tones. The little children were not allowed to run and shriek. The photographer hauled the bride and groom to the center of the floor and posed them together as if they were waltzing. As soon as the shutter clicked, they sprang apart like a couple of magnets that had been pushed together with north poles facing. Nobody danced. There was no garter or bouquet flinging. I have seen people have more fun at a wake. As for the wedding night, I wonder if anybody told them to repeat steps 3 and 4.

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Many years ago, we played for a wedding reception that was an even bigger dud. It was held in a church's social hall. We set up our band at one end of the hall and approx. 60 people sat at tables at the other end of the hall. We played our music while the guests ate and talked in hushed tones. The little children were not allowed to run and shriek. The photographer hauled the bride and groom to the center of the floor and posed them together as if they were waltzing. As soon as the shutter clicked, they sprang apart like a couple of magnets that had been pushed together with north poles facing. Nobody danced. There was no garter or bouquet flinging. I have seen people have more fun at a wake. As for the wedding night, I wonder if anybody told them to repeat steps 3 and 4.

Maybe it was a shotgun wedding?

JoeBear

Thick-skinned, but I shoot back.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Geemogetti! Don't sneak up on old people and yell like that!

Anybody got a fresh Depends? Haggis has had an accident.
Nope, no Depends, but I have a couple boxes of size 3 Pampers. I suspect that even they are too large for a puppy-butt.

Gurdyman

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe it was a shotgun wedding?
That could be, but when there is an empty space and bouncy music, all those little kids would be hard to repress. The little whippers didn't make a move. I think these folks were wrapped too tight to squeak loudly.

JoeBear

Thick-skinned, but I shoot back.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think these folks were wrapped too tight to squeak loudly.
Sounds like they were very reserved and clement, like some of the folks on this thread, e.g., Haggis/Huggis, OFG, Lavern (is she still alive?), SR (hah!), Gail (not if I recall correctly), et al (haven't seen al for quite a while now).

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Thankee! :) Seems like we met just yesterday... then again, it feels like forever. I'm so very glad he puts up with me.
Yes!!! Congrats. And, I know just what you mean. Which brings me to what I've been thinking. Yeah, I do that sometimes.

Have any of you noticed how, as you get older, other things stay new? When I was getting into my Hyundai yesterday, I glared at the tiny ding in the paint on the driver's side. It's been there a while, and it isn't the only one, but it's the one I see most often, and it makes me mad every time I get into my car. Mutter, mutter, why aren't people more careful. @#!?? Here, I have this nice, new, little vehicle and those AHs give it no respect.

On the way home - I was at the grocery store (I know y'all would want to know that) - I got to thinking. See, like I said earlier. Brain working. I remembered the day we bought my car. How surprised I was when my husband said, "You need a new car. Let's go buy you one." I protested all the while I got dressed in my car shopping outfit.

That was in 2002.

My new vacuum cleaner was purchased a year later.

Not that you can really compare these items to husbands, but I married mine in 1976, and he is my new husband.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
I got a new age spot, if anybody's interested.
You're going to hate it when it starts getting dings. Are the glasses new, too?

Now I'm thinking of a new computer. One that will write books for me, or at least fix the mess I've just made.

Status
Not open for further replies.