Ray's House of Love (Volume II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
A Kobo, the one Borders sold. It was an impulse buy. I haven't regretted it. I love the fact that I can carry more than 800 books in my purse.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I saw something for the first time ever--a short story I wrote was recommended by someone I don't know at Yahoo Answers. Cool! It was deleted soon after, since it's not suitable for all ages, but I was still all squiggly about it.
That is COOL!

I am busy at work - we're hosting an event so I arrived here at 615 this morning and I will be here until 7pm if I am lucky, then I get to come in tomorrow at 615! While I am not thrilled at working on Saturday, the conference has been fun enough and I'll get another day off later in the month.

Russ Mars

Interesting little planet you've got here.
Registered
Reaction score
I saw something for the first time ever--a short story I wrote was recommended by someone I don't know at Yahoo Answers. Cool! It was deleted soon after, since it's not suitable for all ages, but I was still all squiggly about it.
That's very cool!

I had a similar experience recently. Someone from Lucasfilm has been visiting my blog, though I haven't a clue who or why.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Maryn, it's a Lasko fan. (Yeah, the name screams "Made In China" - I'm so ashamed...)

Oh, and the client wrote to apologize, and that the husband mailed the check to me. (Methinks he did the booking, and is trying to hide the incident from the wife for fear of getting smacked upside the head :ROFL:) But I'm more worried about comments made Sunday night about "Mario C the idiot guitar player didn't show" than about the money.

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
Back in Washington, barely. Pullman is just over the line with Idaho. A pleasant little city, tho; I had supper in a brewpub located in a former post office. Their literature said it was built in 1930 as a New Deal project. I felt it would have been rude to point out that Herbert Hoover was the president in 1930. At least they spelled everything right.
Montana has a lot of east-westness. 714 miles on US 12, which works out to about one-fourth of the continental width of the US. Did anyone in the tub ever play a game called Mad Dash, where you draw cards for the states and try to go coast to coast first? The best plays, starting from the east, are VA-KY or NC-TN. Get to the Missisippi with two cards, but they do skew you south. I think MO-OK-NM-AZ-CA was the absolute minimum.
Trevor, about traveled out for a while.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, Housekins. Cold again today. We had a fire last night, in June! And I was glad of it, too.

I'm sure glad I spent nearly four hundred bucks to repair the air conditioning earlier this week.

Maryn, who knows it will get hot again

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
one of my jobs yesterday and today was to sit outside at a registration table. I was prepared to be sweltering. Instead I've been cold. But hey, I'll take it.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I always feel sorry for those who love Renaissance fairs and want to dress in period costume. So hot a wardrobe for most of the US in summer, when the fairs are held.

Maryn, who'd like to wear those in January

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, you should. Even if he won't dress up. I can imagine you in a long skirt and a corset-inspired top. Plus they're fun, with cool shops selling artisan goods.

Maryn, who hasn't been to one in ages

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, you should. Even if he won't dress up. I can imagine you in a long skirt and a corset-inspired top. Plus they're fun, with cool shops selling artisan goods.

Maryn, who hasn't been to one in ages
he dressed up for our wedding. He overheard me saying to my maid of honor, "so I was thinking of a Mideival wedding..." and he said "Can I have a sword?!" and I said yes and that was that. :)

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Alas, they may not let him enter a RennFair with a real sword, even blunted. Each one sets its own rules, I suppose, but the one here won't.

Saw some good movies over the weekend: Iron Lady, which was less about Margaret Thatcher's politics and more about her life than I'd been led to believe, and The World's Fastest Indian, about a quirky NZ senior's run to set a world speed record on his 40-year-old motorcycle.

It's still cold and wet here. I'm bringing in firewood every day, in June! We need the warmth come evening. Thank goodness our bedroom wall is on the same wall as the chimney, so that room's a little warmer, too.

You know how sometimes you see things as someone not familiar with them might see them? I'm seeing my kitchen that way today, and it ain't good. I really need to do some serious organizing and decluttering. The little table hasn't been clear in months!

Maryn, bad housekeeper

Russ Mars

Registered
Reaction score
Saw some good movies over the weekend: Iron Lady, which was less about Margaret Thatcher's politics and more about her life than I'd been led to believe, and The World's Fastest Indian, about a quirky NZ senior's run to set a world speed record on his 40-year-old motorcycle.
I loved The World's Fastest Indian, and there's not much that Hopkins has done that I haven't liked. The same goes for Streep. I'll have to check out Iron Lady.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was pleasantly surprised to see Sir Anthony do a James Spader, disappearing so fully into the role that Anthony Hopkins was no longer present. I haven't seen him do this as often as I suspect I could have.

We've also been revisiting movies from yesteryear which we remember fondly. Alas, a great many of them cannot withstand the test of twenty or thirty years under the bridge. Sometimes we can get into a pretty interesting discussion on what it might have been that left a good impression, and how meh the film seems now.

Maryn, who saw Absence of Malice and Jagged Edge with this reaction

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I always feel sorry for those who love Renaissance fairs and want to dress in period costume. So hot a wardrobe for most of the US in summer, when the fairs are held.

Maryn, who'd like to wear those in January

I keep meaning to do that when I hit the local Faire close to our area, but it is always so darn hot the weeks the Faire is open. I guess I keep deciding on personal comfort over corsets. The costumes are neat to look at though, for those brave enough to wear them in the heat. They must take a lot of water breaks. :D

Russ Mars

Registered
Reaction score
I've never been to a Renaissance faire, but I've been to the Medieval Times Dinner & Tournament a few times in Orange County, CA. My first time, I said to the serving wench, "Bring on the food and drink, wench!" She said, quite coquettishly, "Yes, m'lord," and curtsied. I fell in love with the place at that point.

Maybe Pandora and I will go to one; I know she loves them and I'm intrigued to see her in one of those "corset-inspired" tops. :D

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
When I lived in Albany, I did the Ren Faire in Sterling, NY a couple of times. The first time just in ordinary clothes, but one of the strolling actors greeted me with a "Hail, goodman," and I was hooked. The next time I came I was tricked out, tights, jerkin, one of those tilted caps I always associate with Galileo or Copernicus.
Cold on the west coast, too, now that I am finally home. The art house cinema where I pop popcorn has been showing the Exotic Hotel Marigold movie to sold out houses for two weeks. Who knew there were that many of us sr. citizens in a smallish city?
Trevor, pleased that the romaine lettuce has grown nicely in three weeks (frequent showers and sun breaks, yay)

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
greetings! The doggies got me up early but I was too groggy to exercise; I did try some yoga but the dogs think that means "get as close to my momma person as possible." At least it made me smile.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sterling's the one I go to! Never in costume, but I'd like to. I even have a pattern for making medieval shoes. Which I'd do with room for gel insoles.

I think I'd be a peasant. The coarser fabrics and simpler styles should be cooler. But I have neither shoes nor corset, alas.

It took some hunting, but I found my picture of The Kid and Kid Two ready to go to Sterling in, ah, 2007? 2008? I can't remember.

renfair806sommerseth2.jpg

Maryn, who made everything but the corset

pandora1983

Jill of all trades,well,some trades
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thetravelpaige.blogspot.com
Still, my favorite costume from a RenFaire was this guy wandering around in a loincloth. He had rubbed dirt all over himself and his hair was sticking out every which way. It just seemed so authentic and it was very much a 'ha!' moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.