Yoo hoo - Anyone out there?

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
I'm in over my head, here! Can someone explain:

a) How a posting in AW can be found using Google?
b) Why anyone would want to do this?
c) What is a line by line?

If I understand it correctly, the spiders randomly scan and index web pages so they are searchable when you type in keywords in Google later. The spiders can't access pages when they are password protected. Since posts in SYW are typically intended for publication we want them protected from search engine indexing (and cache memory).

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
SYW

According to Medievalist, the problem with SYW is fixed (see post in main SYW forum).

:e2paperba :e2paperba

Okay, I give up. Where is this SYW forum? I couldn't find it. Although I think I passed through it in a daze some time a week or so ago while searching for something else...

:e2paperba :e2paperba

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
Okay, I give up. Where is this SYW forum? I couldn't find it. Although I think I passed through it in a daze some time a week or so ago while searching for something else...

HERE is the entire Share Your Work forum.

It's easy to get a little lost around here, especially as there are so many fun threads to follow. :D

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
eta:

heh. you guys are fast. best of luck with your weekend forum.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
The problem is...

very real, euclid. Most editors will only buy work that is unpublished. Any work that can be seen and read by anyone on a website is considered published.

And even with the AW SYW some editors consider that as the password is there for anyone to see then the work is virtually published. Never put up a whole piece, an extract is safe but a whole story might not be!

Canada now, euclid, NZ next month. When the trees are planted and I need to find a paying job it will be Spain or Italy for a couple of years. I've turned down the China offers again as they are only paying food and lodgings and I have to pay the bank!

Yep, c.e. The only way I can get anything published is if I BOS every day. See Uncle Jim if you don't believe me. He calls it BIC but I like Bum On Seat better.

Doogs, I never knew Olmstead planned Central Park. Thank you for that. I wish I could think my plantings will be as aesthetic but practicalities like getting that number of trees pruned and cared for means more rigid and regimented plantings.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Footnote for anyone interested - I sometimes look at AW during lunch at work but don't sign in - just appear as a lurker. Today I was surprised to discover there was no SYW - so I logged in to check it out and it was there. In other words, it looks like SYW will not be accessible to lurkers anymore. That helps. Puma

euclid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
SYW entry

I have re-posted that 300 word story in SYW (Historical).
Looking forward :e2paperba to your comments.

euclid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
I enjoyed that critique experience so much, that I have put another one in SYW (SciFi) 60 words. It's called 'The Capital of Australia'.