Pass me a tissue and color me stirred... (Various Spoilers Possible)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
A Tale of Two cities made me cry (I was in a taxi at the time two. Rather akward moment between me and the driver).
Baudolino, when a favorite character bit the dust. I was depressed for the rest of the day.
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows-Pretty much the whole time.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
I cried throughout Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows as well, which is odd. I never cried during the other books, and the part I cried in this book weren't even after the deaths.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Mary Renault's books, 'Fire from Heaven' and 'Last of the Wine' were the ones that really made me lose it.

Others I had a sniffle at: LM Alcott's 'Little Women' and Stephen King's 'Christine.' Gaines's 'A Gathering of Old Men'. Ruth Picardie's 'Before I Say Goodbye'.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I picked up Michael Tolliver Lives by Armistead Maupin last month, I was almost weeping with joy that he'd written another Tales of the City book (I don't care what he says! It's part of the series!), but I fell apart from page 147 on because of the story. Haven't cried that much over a book in aeons.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
A Prayer for Owen Meany

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Island of the Blue Dolphin by Scott O'Dell - This was my absolute favorite book when I was a kid. I read into two pieces and had to replace it. I lost that copy years ago, but was in B&N last year with my daughter and found it was still in print. I reread it and cried again - what a sap! (I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one who's cried at Owen Meany - what a powerful book!)

Oh, and I did cry at The Lovely Bones - when Susie's dog suddenly comes bounding into heaven - I'd just recently lost my own dog when I was reading it and it totally wrecked me for a few hours. :eek:

Serenity

NCIS...
Registered
Reaction score
...cause sometimes you just need a slap on the hea
The one that stands out to me the most was the end of A Tale of Two Cities (maybe because I'd disliked every other Dickens novel I'd read). That line "It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known." Sobbed.

I cried reading Dickens too, every time I picked up Great Expectations... bawled like a baby. /sarcasm

Anyhow, on to an actual answer. Bridge to Terabithia. To this day it makes me cry when I read it. Diary of Anne Franke. The Green Mile-- I was reading this on my uncles boat during summer vacation one year. I got some strange looks that day.

And a book that isn't out there-- yet-- one written by ChaosTitan. She seriously made me cry with a particular scene (and she knows the one) there.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A Prayer for Owen Meany is one of my all-time favorite books, and I did cry buckets. Although I wish the ending had been a wee bit different for the MC, to be honest. I don't know how, exactly. (I don't think saying that gives anything away.)

Black Beauty? Oh, I cried buckets. I don't remember how old I was, either; I was a kid.

Would I be burned at the stake for saying I cried while reading Bridges of Madison County? In the beginning, I was laughing at the horribly purple prose. But he did have a bittersweetness to his characters; he captured that longing and loss perfectly.

Oh, yeah. The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks. I bawled through the end of that book. I've tried reading his other stuff, and I don't really care for it (except for the memoir he did with his brother Micah).

Ab_Normal

Registered
Reaction score
Guy Gavriel Kay demolishes me every time. And I keep on reading his stuff...

(extraneous anecdote: I was reading one of his books while listening to the stereo and wondering why I was crying even harder than usual. Then I realized that I was listening to the Smiths and premenstrual. That was not my brightest move... but very cathartic... ;) )

Norma

Last edited:

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
What books have made you weep? (or for the more macho among us, what books have made you misty-eyed?)

More recently, The Time Traveler's Wife
Most definitely.

One, ever:

Wally Lamb's I Know This Much is True.
Yep on this one.

A Prayer for Owen Meany.
I cry just thinking about the book.

A few others: Black and Blue by Anna Quindlen and The Tender Bar by J.R. Moehringer.

Xx|e|ph|e|me|r|al|xX

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Xx|I don't cry at much, really...but to this day and forever and always I cry at any and all versions of Phantom of the Opera. The movie, the stage version, Susan Kay's book...fanfictions...

Other than that, I cried during Animorphs--I was a kid!--when (spoiler possibility) Rachel died.

There's been one or two others, but those weren't books...

And, Whisper. Yeah, mine. I've made myself cry. XDD

That's all I can think of...
|xX

WordGypsy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.leahclifford.com
Oh there's so many...it's the hallmark of great fiction if it can make me cry as I do have a cold heart lol

The Notebook, both the book and the movie. I drive my roommate INSANE because I watch it no matter how far it is into the movie and sob every time. Hysterically. WHILE shrieking out "my god, what if I never luh *sob choke gasp* love like that!!"

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. Talk about your endings...

And of course there's the "Classics for Criers" like Bridge to Terabithia and Where the Red Fern Grows. Ol' Yeller :D

Wally Lamb gets me too...that was a PHENOMENAL book!!!!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Bridge to Terabithia is the first one I can remember crying for. (& HP:DH was the last... hmm, not terribly original, Sage)

I'm more likely to cry for movies or tv shows, but that's 'cuz I'm more likely to be affected when a moving piece of music is accompanying the scene.

Sarashay

Shut Up and Write
Registered
Reaction score
I cry when I read Tanith Lee's The Silver Metal Lover.

Every. Single. Time.

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great responses. I've added quite a few books to my "must read" list, and this thread has reminded me of a few I'd been meaning to read but forgot about.

If anyone else has been reduced to tears and snot reading anything else, by all means, keep sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.