YA recommendations

Kryianna

Registered
Reaction score
My husband is considering writing his first novel (hurray!), and we've talked over the plot and decided that it would be best served to be a YA urban fantasy. The last time we read YA was when we were young adults, and that was a fair amount of years ago.

Can anyone recommend any good YA's on the market right now? Particularly urban fantasy, but mainstream/mystery would be good as well. Male MC preferred. More Hardy Boys than teenage angst, you know what I mean?

Thanks, folks!

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
Darren Shan does urban fantasy, and I it's aimed at guys pretty much. And his books sell well (he has a couple series) so he'd be someone to read if you want to get into that market.

I'll keep thinking other names, too...

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Darren Shan does urban fantasy, and I it's aimed at guys pretty much. And his books sell well (he has a couple series) so he'd be someone to read if you want to get into that market.

I'll keep thinking other names, too...

I hear Harry Potter and Artemis Foul are good books.

Nyna

Registered
Reaction score
Diane Duane's Young Wizard series is brilliant -- they're not really urban fantasy, but the first one does involve an alternate New York City. Also, Sabriel by Garth Nix is pretty good, but that's just pure fantasy, really, and a female protagonist. And Charles de Lint has written a young adult novel or two, though I haven't read them. They should be urban fantasy, though. (I haven't read urban fantasy or young adult novels for years. Sorry I can't be more help.)

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
I think there are a few threads in Writing for Young Adults that might help you!

wuzupbling22

Registered
Reaction score
Fantasy:
Artemis Fowl
Percy Jackson and the Olympians
Cirque du Freak
Demonata
Harry Potter
Skulldugerry Pleasent (sp?)

Non Fantasy:
CHERUB
Alex Rider

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Anything by Cornelia Funke. The Thief Lord and Dragon Rider spring to mind. She writes to an audience that's more Y than A but (IMO) it's some great stuff, esp. The Thief Lord.