A dual query?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jannawrites

no, really
Registered
Reaction score
So I've done some querying for my women's fiction and, separately, have also submitted my narrative non-fiction proposal (just) twice. No bites on either yet.

Ideally, I want an agent who'll represent my entire career, for both genres, so I don't have to bounce back and forth between more than one professional. That said, it almost makes sense to query both books together. But I'd swear I've heard that's a no-no, and I can see how it could work against a writer.

Are there benefits to a dual query? Can it be done? Anyone have experience with such a circumstance?

MsK

Registered
Reaction score
No experience. No advice. But- Good Luck with it. I wish you the best! :)

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
If I could give you sound advice, I would. My gut says only query one at a time, and then have the conversation before signing with anyone.

You might want to post this in "Ask the Agent."

jannawrites

no, really
Registered
Reaction score
If I could give you sound advice, I would. My gut says only query one at a time, and then have the conversation before signing with anyone.

You might want to post this in "Ask the Agent."

^ Good suggestion, Wendy. I wondered if this was the most appropriate thread.

And, even in just the last few minutes, the decision I need to make has become clearer. With some concerns I'm already revisiting in regards to my women's fiction, I think it best that I stick with one query at a time. And for now, that should be the non-fic.

I'd still like to hear what people think, though, of the concept of dual queries.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
So I've done some querying for my women's fiction and, separately, have also submitted my narrative non-fiction proposal (just) twice. No bites on either yet.

Ideally, I want an agent who'll represent my entire career, for both genres, so I don't have to bounce back and forth between more than one professional. That said, it almost makes sense to query both books together. But I'd swear I've heard that's a no-no, and I can see how it could work against a writer.

Are there benefits to a dual query? Can it be done? Anyone have experience with such a circumstance?

You mean querying two books with one pitch? General rule is one book at a time, even if they're in the same genre--I'm guessing trying to query a nonfiction and and fiction together makes you a marketing puzzle to an agent.

I'm assuming you've found agents (or at least agencies) that represent fiction and nonfiction. I'd start with those, picking your best project to pitch. If you get a rejection, but hopefully some nice comments like "send me something else" you can always throw out the second book, or wait a bit and query the second book.

Even though it's easier for you in the long run, throwing out two mismatched projects (fiction/NF) might turn any agents off because they can't figure you out. It sounds risky.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Agree with what others have said. It's tough enough to get any query answered positively. Query each book separately, and tailor each query to that specific book, and agent.

caw

jannawrites

no, really
Registered
Reaction score
You mean querying two books with one pitch? General rule is one book at a time, even if they're in the same genre--I'm guessing trying to query a nonfiction and and fiction together makes you a marketing puzzle to an agent.

I'm assuming you've found agents (or at least agencies) that represent fiction and nonfiction. I'd start with those, picking your best project to pitch. If you get a rejection, but hopefully some nice comments like "send me something else" you can always throw out the second book, or wait a bit and query the second book.

Even though it's easier for you in the long run, throwing out two mismatched projects (fiction/NF) might turn any agents off because they can't figure you out. It sounds risky.

Yep, that's what I meant. :)

Thanks! I appreciate your feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.