• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Critique Partner

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm interested in finding a critique partner. I write anywhere between suspense and horror. Short stories are my main thing at the moment. I will be moving to novel length in the future. My favorite authors are Dean Koontz, John Saul, and Stephen King.

I would like someone who is willing to swap work on a regular basis. I've began submitting work to markets, and am receiving personal rejections. I need a second or even a third eye to look over my pieces. I belong to a critique group, but the site has been down for over three weeks. I need someone reliable and hopefully someone who will stay with me as I move further into my career.

I have been praised on my critiquing ability. A few people suggested I move into editing, but my passion is in the creating.

I feel that two people need to share a common passion and enjoy each others work to be good partners.

Anyone interested please PM or email [email protected]

You are welcome to make comments here also.

Cher Green
http://chergreen.blogspot.com (The blog is new, so there's not much going on there yet.)

Angelique

A Walking Contradiction
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tc-anderson.livejournal.com
I write YA paranormal romance so I doubt that you'd be interested in critiquing together, though I'd be happy to look over your stuff if you ever need an extra set of eyes. King is one of my all time favorites, and if that's your style of writing I'm sure I'd enjoy it. I'm pretty experienced in critiquing, though I won't be able to provide any grammatical assistance--it's my blind-spot.

But the main reason I stopped by was to tell you to give reviewfuse a shot. It's a great website for writers, it's helped me tremendously. And it's free. I've given a full review of it in my blog, you can read through that and see if it's for you.
http://tc-anderson.livejournal.com/#post-tc_anderson-6846

TNWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Angelique,

Thanks, this looks like it might be worth looking into.

Since a 72 hour critique guarantee is in place, I do wonder how the critique vs received works.

This seems very similar to a site I'm already with, except you wait up to two weeks for you story to be posted. Obviously, this is a issue, who wants to wait that long.

Thanks again,
TNWriter

Angelique

A Walking Contradiction
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tc-anderson.livejournal.com
If you'd like I'd send you a link that'll show you the kind of reviews I get--and you can guage your interest from there. And those reviews do get back to you really quickly.

TNWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Angelique,

Sure just send it to my email address.

[email protected]

Could you explain how the credits work?

I'm still sifting through the partner possibilities. If something doesn't work out, I will be sure to go further into the site.

Also, you said you were sure that I wouldn't want to be partners because of your genre choice. I must say that only one of my candidates so far is in the same genre. Feel free to email me something of yours and I'll send you something of mine. You never know we may be the perfect match.

Cher

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
hi Cher,

One suggestion, though I know it may sound daunting because it is not 'instant gratification' is to become a Share Your Work fanatic.

If you critique in Share Your Work, you will build some interesting relationships and bonds with the writers there.

There are various stages everyone goes through on Absolute Write, one of the stages is 'growing through critiques'.

So you will come to know some of the critique veterans as well as the up and comers and new crop of 'newbies' that have just joined in the last month or so.

You will start to get a feel for who writes like you, who compliments your style, who you admire, who you can benefit from , etc. etc.

You will also separate the wheat from the chaff, and get to know those who have dedication and staying power that mirrors your own.

After some time, you'd have no problem finding a great writing partner who likewise would shares your desires.

I'd say that if you just basically critique the hell out of your genre in SYW, you'd find a great life long writing partner within a month or two easy.

I've been doing critiques pretty regularly since I joined this site and I easily have a dozen 'friends' who I can call upon at a moments notice to look at something for me. And I'm not talking about random people who I know very little about, I'm talking seasoned writers who I respect and dare say can write circles around me.

And converserly, when they need me to help them polish for a submission, they know they can call on me without question.

So my advice, hit the SYW boards hard, critique 1 - 2 stories per day at a minimum and within a month or two, you'd be amazed at some of the relationships you'll form.

hmmm....

Wow, just notice that you aren't a newbie persay, that you've been with AW for a few years. But it seems looking at your history your posts are extremely sporadic.

Well, I think my advice still holds. You get out of AW what you put into it. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Who knows, maybe lightning will strike and this thread will give you the ideal writing partner.

Mel...

TNWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. It sounds like a logical step.

I've been a member for awhile but never really went beyond looking through random post. I actually wasn't even aware of the SYW until it was mentioned to me after posting this thread.

I do belong to another site, which has recently went down. They are trying to get it up, but it's been three weeks. This is what brought me to look closer at this site.

By the way, nice to meet you. Maybe, I'll see you on the board. I have met one possible partner through the posting, but may still do some critiques in SYW.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
I don't just do critiques because i'm a nice guy (although I am).

I do critiques because:

#1, it makes me a better writer
#2, building relationships
#3, helping others.

A lot of people errorneous view critiques as an frivilous sorta 'thing', but trust me, once you start critique and analyzing the critiques of others, you'd be amazed at what you will learn. Of course, I say that without knowing your ability. But speaking for myself, I would have never gotten published with learning from them

Anyways, good luck and I hope you come over to the AW side.

I make it a point to do a few crits per week. I used to do at least two per day, but i've slacked off to probably 3-5 per week over the last year.

Mel...

TNWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Nice status there.

Yes I agree about the learning through critiquing. I've learned so much over the years from others. I can't even imagine getting this far without them.

Status
Not open for further replies.