Suggestions for finding a good editor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrincessFiona

Registered
Reaction score
I recently turned my book over to someone who edits professionally. She usually looks at academic writing, but agreed to take on my project. It turned out to be less helpful than I had hoped (and it cost me a pretty penny). She basically removed every contraction from my text (including dialogue) and focused on the consistency of my numbering, etc. There were some basic edits that I did use, but for the most part, it wasn't terribly helpful.

How did you go about selecting an editor for your text?

Kris

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are editors here at AW, some of them seeking work, others already overbooked. You can read their posts, see their critiques, ask their rates and whether they'll do a sample before you commit. Reading the Ask the Editor board and the Grammar board will be a good starting point.

Maryn, who doesn't edit

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that's the link I should have included. Thank you, ma'am!

Maryn, tipping her hat

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Only work with editors who have edited your kind of work before. Not just fiction, but specific: Your genre, for your market. Check references/credentials. Academic writing and fiction are two very, very different entities.

PrincessFiona

Registered
Reaction score
I did look on that website and noticed very few options for someone writing a memoir. The editor that has already read my text didn't do a great job because she was looking at it as if it were an academic text instead of a memoir.

Do you recommend letting family/friends read it for one source of 'editing' or feedback?

Kris

sarahdalton

Banned
Reaction score
I did look on that website and noticed very few options for someone writing a memoir. The editor that has already read my text didn't do a great job because she was looking at it as if it were an academic text instead of a memoir.

Do you recommend letting family/friends read it for one source of 'editing' or feedback?

Kris

There's no harm in letting them beta read, as long as you have separate betas/editors. Just bear in mind that they might not find much to change because they don't want to hurt your feelings. Or they might go the other way and be quite harsh, which might not be great for your relationship. :)

There's a subforum here for finding betas and critique partners. I've used it before and had good results.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score

That's why it's important to find editors who work in your specific genre.

Kris

If they also happen to be editors who are experienced in the genre in which you write, then yes, it might be worthwhile.

If not, why would their advice be any better than the advice of the academic you paid to edit your work?

PrincessFiona

Registered
Reaction score
If not, why would their advice be any better than the advice of the academic you paid to edit your work?

I guess I would consider them my intended audience. At some level it's most important that the reader enjoys the writing.

But I totally see your point!

I am a little shy about spending more money on an editor after realizing how little that it helped me. :/ I'm going to have to sit with this one while I decide. Thanks for the comments.

kris

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I guess I would consider them my intended audience. At some level it's most important that the reader enjoys the writing.

But I totally see your point!

If readers were editors, trade publishers wouldn't bother spending money on editing.

You can learn from beta readers and helpful critiquers; but you won't get the same results as you'd get from a good editor.

I am a little shy about spending more money on an editor after realizing how little that it helped me. :/ I'm going to have to sit with this one while I decide. Thanks for the comments.

Spending money on an editor didn't help you because you paid the wrong editor. It doesn't mean that editing is of little help.

Spending money on a good editor who works in the genre in which you write will be a completely different thing.

Publishing a book which has not been well edited is a really bad idea.

Last edited:

fourlittlebees

chief sitter on people
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.about.me
I edit, but not memoir. I generally do romance/erotica and some humor, but I'll dig through my contacts to see if I know anyone good who does memoir.

References are key. Samples are key. Asking for a sample chapter isn't out of line, and keeps you from spending money on someone doing something that's not right. (Although I did once forget to ask a client for a style guide and goofed on punctuation preferences. Oops!)

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
You can find self-published books in your genre that seem well-edited and see if the editor is listed in the front matter - if not, you can contact the author and ask who did the editing. Most self-published authors seem pretty happy to share that sort of information.

Otherwise, it's pretty hard to get a sense of whether someone's going to do good work for you - credentials are great, but it's like reading a resume without having a job interview - you only get the basics, not the overall feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.