• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] BookEnds, LLC / Beyond the Page Publishing

MadDabbler

Clearly confused and adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisetompkins.net
I got the phone call! Jessica has offered representation!!!! I talked with her for about 30 minutes later in the day and think we really click. I could not be more thrilled. Because I have the full proposal out with two other agencies, I have been in touch with them, but just so so so excited!

That is AWESOME! Wow, wow, wow! I am so incredibly happy for you! :partyguy:

Keep us posted on how it goes.

MadDabbler

Clearly confused and adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisetompkins.net
She passed. <sighs, wipes tears, eats doughnut(s)> She just didn't connect with my MC. As always, she was very nice.

So I'm signing with the first agent. I'm really, really lucky we clicked so well.

Amy28

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, but I am sure it stings a little less knowing you have an agent in the end. :) Congrats on your offer!

shaunta

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Jessica with a completed dystopian YA novel late last night (about midnight PST.) When I woke up this morning, maybe 8 hours later, I had an autoresponse saying it would take four weeks for a response, and then a second email that felt like a form letter to me asking for the first three chapters and synopsis. I emailed those, and several hours later I got an email from her that had no message.

Should I assume this is some kind of confirmation that my chapters were received, or email her back and let her know that the last email had no message?

Preacher'sWife

Crack that WIP!
Registered
Reaction score
in my own little corner, in my own little chair
I queried Jessica with a completed dystopian YA novel late last night (about midnight PST.) When I woke up this morning, maybe 8 hours later, I had an autoresponse saying it would take four weeks for a response, and then a second email that felt like a form letter to me asking for the first three chapters and synopsis. I emailed those, and several hours later I got an email from her that had no message.

Should I assume this is some kind of confirmation that my chapters were received, or email her back and let her know that the last email had no message?

I'd definitely e-mail her back. Do it as a reply on that last empty e-mail so she has a trail to follow.

miamyselfandi

here and there again
Registered
Reaction score

Did you follow her directions NOT to have "query" or "submission" in the subject header? I didn't and my submission bounced back at me twice before I figured out my mistake. (I'm relaying this by memory. I think those are the two words to avoid.)

shaunta

Registered
Reaction score
I don't see any directions not to put query or submission in the subject header. I let her know I got a blank email last night, and this morning had another blank email. Not sure what to do! Do you think she got my submission and these are just auto-responses? Not sure what to do! Maybe I'll send her another email, without query or submit in the subject header, and ask?

shaunta

Registered
Reaction score
I sent her an email, not a response, with no query or submission in the header. She got back to me and said she received my package and that I should hear from her by the end of January.

miamyselfandi

here and there again
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see any directions not to put query or submission in the subject header. I let her know I got a blank email last night, and this morning had another blank email. Not sure what to do! Do you think she got my submission and these are just auto-responses? Not sure what to do! Maybe I'll send her another email, without query or submit in the subject header, and ask?

Now that I've reread the email, I see/recall that she said to use the directions on their website. I am not finding it right now but when I was submitting a few months ago, I found the information there not to include "query" or "submission" in the subject header...

Oh I just remembered why. This is when she was closed to queries and that would get an autoresponse saying so.

Okay, so never mind, that wouldn't apply any more. Sorry to add to the confusion.

amyashley

Stunt-Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I just wanted to post on this thread that my dealings with Ms. Faust have been extremely positive. She requested a partial within 3 weeks after receiving my query. I had made some changes to the partial due to feedback and e-mailed her with apologies. She was very courteous and encouraged me to simply send the new partial when it was ready. She requested a full within 2 weeks after I sent it. She e-mailed me less than 48 hours after I sent the full, with a very professional and helpful e-mail turning it down. She offered feedback and was very sorry to reject the project. I requested specific input and asked if she would be willing to take a look at it after revisions and she replied with that and said yes.

Not only was she prompt in all of her responses to e-mail, but she took time to be encouraging and helpful. I MUST POINT OUT, that I was polite and professional in my approach as well, and would not encourage anyone to pester an agent for feedback.

This agency is definitely one that people should put at the top of their list.

raven1

Registered
Reaction score
Yes! Kim answers her queries...

Anyone heard from Kim lately? Is she a no response is no?

I'm pretty sure she tries to respond to each one. It just takes a while because there are so many, plus she's a busy mommy, too. ;-) I think we sometimes forget that agents are like us and have families and a life outside of writing.

She had my equery for almost four months before she responded. She passed on that particular project but asked what else I was working on because she loved my voice, so I sent a historical paranormal romance her way. She signed me for that book.

Two years later and we've parted ways due to my fantasy leanings (I moved outside the borders of her genre preferences), but I have nothing but the utmost respect for her.

I recommend her to ANYONE who's writing within the genres she's looking for. Once she's in love with a project, she puts her heart and soul into it. She works hard for all of her clients, has excellent connections, and is a genuinely sweet person, to boot.

Just be patient with her. It sometimes takes her a little while, but she's so worth it!

KelleyVitollo

Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure she tries to respond to each one. It just takes a while because there are so many, plus she's a busy mommy, too. ;-) I think we sometimes forget that agents are like us and have families and a life outside of writing.

She had my equery for almost four months before she responded. She passed on that particular project but asked what else I was working on because she loved my voice, so I sent a historical paranormal romance her way. She signed me for that book.

Two years later and we've parted ways due to my fantasy leanings (I moved outside the borders of her genre preferences), but I have nothing but the utmost respect for her.

I recommend her to ANYONE who's writing within the genres she's looking for. Once she's in love with a project, she puts her heart and soul into it. She works hard for all of her clients, has excellent connections, and is a genuinely sweet person, to boot.

Just be patient with her. It sometimes takes her a little while, but she's so worth it!

Thank you for your reply. I understand they have lives outside of work though. I just didn't know if she was like a lot of the agents who only reply if they're interested :) I've since found representation so all is well though!

raven1

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. I understand they have lives outside of work though. I just didn't know if she was like a lot of the agents who only reply if they're interested :) I've since found representation so all is well though!

Congratulations on finding represetation! That ROX. I wish you tons of success! I'm still in the trenches, trying to find someone new. :)

Good luck, and let use know when you're pubbed so we can buy your books!