Not open for further replies.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is that what you call sleeping in these days, Miss Sassypants?

I woke before six myself, for no reason, and even though I lay there for eons, that was it. No more sleep for me.

We have an air show coming up this weekend ('we' being my city, not me) and they're practicing flying in formation, thundering overhead. Pretty cool distraction as I ran my errands. Largest group I saw flying tight was five.

Maryn, who hit two drugstores, a sewing store, and two department stores

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
well I meant I took the dogs out at 230 and then went back to sleep. but yes, that is unfortunately what passes for sleeping these days. I hope when the puppy ages I'll be able to sleep in on weekends again. I actually got very little sleep on our staycation which is counter to the point.

We had grilled cheese sammiches for supper today.

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, missing posts! Spooky.

We had a freakishly bad storm here Monday. Wiped out power for a lot of the county. Trees and power lines down, lots of damage from the wind, etc. We were lucky though. Got our power back yesterday. Some folks may not get it back till the weekend.

The storm came up so fast, I was driving with a coworker that morning. I've never seen dark clouds move in that fast. Remember the movie The Neverending Story with "the Nothing"? Yeah, it was like that. Scary as sh**. We got into the building right before the winds hit. So many stop lights were out after it passed, traffic has been backed up all week all over the place. (better now though)

Amazingly enough, the power stayed on at work. (of course) At least it's been cooler the past day or so. Trying to sleep without air in 90 degree weather at night was not fun.

Oh well, can't complain too much. We fared a lot better then many folks hit by much harder storms over the past few months, in various parts of the country. At least we didn't lose entire towns due to the storm. I'm grateful it wasn't worse.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Sorry about the rotten weather, Beatrix.

I'm so tired of everything right now. Every damn thing.

pandora1983

Jill of all trades,well,some trades
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thetravelpaige.blogspot.com
Morning House.

Last day with Gracie. Watch me not breakdown. I think I can...I think I can...

Maryn...happy Belated. Sorry I missed it. Ive been preoccupied.
Any special plans for today or this weekend, everyone?
Happy Trails.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, mario, that sucks! Anything you care to share, so we can counter it, or should we just give you a big hug and a mimosa?

I forgot to share that I saw something weird yesterday at the customer service desk at Kohl's. (Kind of like Target, if you don't have it where you live.) I just needed the bleeping security tag off a top I bought.

Anyway, I'd been to my favorite thrift store the day before, and tried on a bunch of stuff but ended up buying no clothes at all. So I'm standing waiting for my turn and watching the woman being waited on, who had a big bag of clothes she wanted to return.

I bet the other women play the game I was playing: She's built kind of like I am. Is she fatter than me? (I know, I know, the self-esteem train left without me.)

So anyway, I'm thinking we're pretty close to the same size, and to my amazement, I recognized a rather distinctive top I'd tried on the day before. (It fit in the hips but the sleeves were so tight they cut into my flesh. No wonder somebody donated it.) A closer look shows that several of the items she's trying to return to Kohl's were ones I'd seen or even tried on the day before at the thrift store. And she's got a fat stack of store receipts in a binder clip, like maybe an inch and a half thick, and she's trying to match up these thrift store clothes with items described briefly on the receipt, to get money for them.

The clerk wasn't having any of it and the woman finally left with her thrift store clothes and her receipts and no money at all. I was amazed and asked the clerk if that ever worked, but she wasn't discussing it with a customer, so I let it go.

Fascinating, the scams people try to pull, huh?

Maryn, whose purpose seemed almost anticlimactic

Russ Mars

Interesting little planet you've got here.
Registered
Reaction score
Fascinating, the scams people try to pull, huh?
Forgive me for dragging out my soapbox...I'd say, 'and dusting it off,' but I drag it out all too often for it to collect much dust.

One needn't look too hard to observe these kinds of scandalous behaviors in folks. Should we be surprised? If there's any connection between what individuals do and the so-called leadership in this country, irrespective of party affiliations, I'd say it's to be expected more and more.

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if I'd tie it to leadership of the country so much as a decline in personal responsibility, society's devaluing the sense of a moral right, and the unwillingness to do what's right rather than do what benefits you the most.

Just plain selfishness.

It's hard to know where to lay the blame, but there's plenty to go around. The preschoolers who badgered me into unbuckling them and returning to the store in driving rain because we forgot to tell the cashier they'd shared a doughnut became the teens who think nothing of downloading MP3s. Where'd I go wrong?

Maryn, parental failure (not really)

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Poor potty training (metaphoric), as in the distance the apple falls from the tree kind of thing. Kids watch the selfish behavior of their parents and it doesn't matter what the parents tell the kids to do or not to do. The parental actions have the greatest impact.

We have swung in the direction of admiring the cleverness of those who get around societal and social rules and laws instead of admiring the dedication of those who obey those rules and laws. Nice loses out to rebellion nearly every time.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Uh-oh, I fear one of us senior-ish HOLers is going to link to those lists of all the ways things were better in our youth. I once wrote a rebuttal to that. It's not so pleasant buying a Dreamsicle from the ice cream man when three miles from you there are people who can't seem to get registered to vote.

Maryn, exiting before a rant erupts

Russ Mars

Interesting little planet you've got here.
Registered
Reaction score
Maryn, Fizz, you’ve both mentioned things I believe point up to what extent American leadership can be held accountable, not to negate individual accountability.

Considering our government’s (the military industrial complex) inclination (ahem) to give corporations priority over its citizenry, it’s not hard to see the effect on society. As the government takes more and more control over personal choices (doesn’t it seem there are ever-expanding laws dictating every aspect of these choices?), we are left with, if not in reality, at least the perception that we aren’t accountable. And with so much emphasis placed on corporate importance and power, the corporations and mainstream media dictate (read brainwash) what we are to believe is important. We are bombarded with the mindset of the government/corporate world; power and material possession at any cost take priority. Isn’t that the subliminal, if not the overt, message sent these days? Is there any doubt why impressionable youth adopt these ways in spite of our best efforts?

As a parent, I like to believe my children have taken on the best qualities I have to offer, but I have to admit it’s been difficult to compete with the constant onslaught of information they get that runs contrary to my beliefs. I can’t speak for others, but I bet I’m not unique in feeling that the few hours a day, some weekends and vacations, of quality time I’ve spent with my kids, has been overshadowed by the endless hours of conflicting information they got from mainstream media, especially TV, that’s the mouthpiece for what’s termed our “leadership.”

As to my kids learning more from what I do than what I say, I fear, because of the very nature of our frantic way of life as we scramble and fight to provide for our families, they have witnessed very little of the toughest decisions and actions I’ve made. More often than not, those most demonstrative of who I am and what I’m made of, occurred on the mean streets and in the workaday world. Too many times, just in trying to protect them and allow them some semblance of a happy, untroubled childhood, I’ve refrained from telling them about the crap that goes on in those eight, ten, twelve-hour-plus days when I’m not around them.

pandora1983

Jill of all trades,well,some trades
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thetravelpaige.blogspot.com
Okay...Hello my name is Pandora and Im an addict. Ive been Gracie free for 6 hours now...
Kidding. I have to invite levity in or Ill lose whatever marbles Ive got clanking around in there. It is terribly heartbreaking though..sooooo bust out the salt and tequilla and turn up the tunes please. Chocolate would not be unwelcome either.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm late, yet early when it comes to tequila.

Maryn, who makes a nice tequila sunrise

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Happy belated birthday Maryn!

i have dogs.

Dogs are kewl. I miss having dogs (and cats). No pets for the past couple of years. I felt bad for the pets at the rescue not far from where we live. They've been without power for several days due to the storm. I hope they get it back soon.

http://www.saveapetil.org/

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Beatrix.

Hot here today. We left early for our miles and it was still 86--and not yet eleven a.m.--by the time we finished. Even if the miles don't burn enough calories to make me thin, shouldn't some of the fat have literally melted? (If only it were that easy, huh?)

Maryn, stinky

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, Komnena. It's pouring rain here, first time in about three weeks. For this area, that's a drought bad enough to damage crops and turn lawns brown unless you water. (I did, so ours isn't as bad as most, but it's still got lots of brown.)

We blew off going to a baseball game because of the heat last night, instead watching a different game on TV. But it went into extra innings and we couldn't keep our eyes open long enough to see it end in the 16th.

Yes, there can be too much of a good thing.

Maryn, who'd prefer seven innings, period

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good doggies!

Since we last 'spoke' I have balanced my checkbook. Uh-oh. I still have some left, but nowhere near my usual balance. That's what Mr. Maryn gets when he tells me to stop being cheap with myself and go out and buy some damned clothes that nobody else wore first.

Maryn, most obedient wife

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
I think I would prefer used clothes to damned ones. I'd be afraid it would rub off.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
LOL--and I never write that unless it's literal.

That explains the damned labels that rub the back of my neck raw--it's the damned wearing off!

Maryn, grinning

Status
Not open for further replies.