College Students Writing For Teens

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
Yep. It did. I'm going to that wedding with one of my guy friends. :D I'd really like to go to the other one, too, but.... I'm just happy I'm going to be able to go to this one.

Bookgirl2021

Registered
Reaction score
I plan to. :)

...The one downside of going with this guy is that for some reason now I actually kinda really want to look cute......

Bookgirl2021

Registered
Reaction score
No, it's just kind of annoying when at first I wasn't super worried about it, and then I was. ...I am not crushing on this kid. No way, no sir, no how. :tongue

TheGrayLady

hide and seek
Registered
Reaction score
hey guys! I'm somewhat of a late addition to this thread but I'm also a full-time college student! So nice to meet you all :) I knew I couldn't have been the only one doing this but it's so nice to have so many of us in one place.

spring exams took over my life for quite a while, so it's been nice (and blissful) to get back to writing full(ish) time. yay for long college summer breaks!

Bookgirl2021

Registered
Reaction score
I'm exhausted, but pretty good. And I suppose technically I could go back to sleep, but that would mean it would be even later before I can start writing again. I have to clean my room today, and straighten up the living room. Once that's done I can write. ...I wrote ~1k last night on a chapter I almost skipped (with the intention of coming back)! It was very happy. :D

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Yay for writing 1k! I am almost done with this round of revisions on my novel (chapter by chapter stuff) and then...I get to add scenes :D Yay!

Bookgirl2021

Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide if I'm going to do revisions on One Lantern Short when I'm done with this project, or jump into something new. I should do revisions, but.... *shrug* I know I have some stuff that needs expanding and some additional scenes, but I'm nervous about some of that. The part that needs the most revision just about killed me the first time. Stupid alternate present. :tongue

ETA Here's the basic blurb for OLS:
Abbie Smith never felt like she belonged in the world she was part of. Her dreams were filled with figures from Colonial America, like John and Abigail Adams. When her family takes a trip to Philadelphia, she has no idea how it will change her life. Magic fills the air as she's stolen into a world of colonial evening parties, patriots, Red Coats, and first love.

Her life in 1775 is more than she ever would have even thought to wish for. She actually has friends who talk back, and she's surrounded by people who seem to understand her. Then disaster strikes in the form of a lantern.

After falling down a flight of stairs, she finds herself back in the present, but everything's different. Wrong. Union Jacks line the streets, and pounds and pence are being exchanged in the stores. Flipping through a history book, Abbie discovers the mistake she's made.

Can she find her way back to 1775 and get things back to normal? Or will the United States never even have a chance to exist?

PS... Sometime in the next couple of weeks I'm going on a date with the guy I went to the wedding with. :D

Last edited:

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
:snoopy: You're going on a date! You're going on a date! See I told you looking cute would pay off :tongue

As for your Lantern story - I'm going to assume you know Abigail Adams' maiden name was Smith. :D And I'm curious how does Abbie get swept into the 1770's - I'd love a little more hint to that in your summary. For me, right now it seems a little too 'magic fairy dust she makes a wish on'. And I say.....do revisions on that one!

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
Yea I am kind of an Abigail Adams dork :roll: so I tend to know random facts about her. Good luck revising OLS :)

ames_plaza

betch.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yes. A forum for college students writing YA. Heaven. Does a recent graduate/now unemployed writer count? Super late to the game but hello everyone!

Bookgirl2021

Registered
Reaction score
Yea I am kind of an Abigail Adams dork :roll: so I tend to know random facts about her. Good luck revising OLS :)

That's how I am about the entire Revolutionary/Colonial Era. :D

ETA I've been cleaning my room for over five hours. I'm about 2/3-3/4 of the way done. *dies*

Last edited:

AmandaS

Registered
Reaction score
Oh yes. A forum for college students writing YA. Heaven. Does a recent graduate/now unemployed writer count? Super late to the game but hello everyone!

I say it counts! I'm also a recent (and unemployed) grad. Welcome. :) And congratulations on graduating!

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
Yay!!!! :snoopy:

I had such a good day. I won a 30 page critique from an agent from a blog contest :D Woot! I just want good critique. I know my novel is not ready for rep yet. :)

TheGrayLady

hide and seek
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Smiley! A 30 page critique?! Amazing : )
Even though you say your novel isn't ready for rep yet, this will no doubt help you jump to the next step. Let us know how it goes!