Status
Not open for further replies.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Because in 1939, there were no TV, videos, Internet, video games... the only things that could distract people were radio and books! It was a popular book, and an epic movie with popular stars and extravagant budget. And it's a romance -- enough said.
I've seen it a couple times in theatres, and both times it was near sell-out crowds.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
About people disappearing inside holodecks forever. They might starve in there. They are already starving their kids.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1974055/posts

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/03/07/south.korea.baby.dead/

Its tragic, but being a neglectful idiot is hardly new (I'm fairly sure children were left to starve throughout human history for all manner of terrible reasons) and I fail to see why you're tacking it into this thread.

Unless you're saying Avatar is so derivative that its causing parents to abandon their children while they go and play completely unrelated video games.

Which...would be...odd.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
I still haven't seen this thing, nor read much of this or the other Avatar threads, but at least I've just now seen the trailer.

What brings me to this thread is this article on futurist Ray Kurzweil's observations and opinions of the movie (first link in the article text goes to Kurzweil's critique of the movie):
http://singularityhub.com/2010/03/1...ar-technology-applied-unevenly-cast-as-enemy/

Nice article,

however futurists always miss this one point about people. Just because we 'can' do something doesn't mean we will.

If you look around your house, you will notice that alot of our tools are still based on medieval technology.

We still use wood for the majority of our stuff despite having far superior materials.

Books and book binding is more or less the same now as it was a few centuries ago (granted the Kindle is going to change that)

And how long have we been using the light bulb despite better light sources?

My point simply that mankind is wierd when it comes to utilizing its latest innovations/technologies.

But I do agree, Avatar's futuristic concept gets a C- from me.

I actually don't mind the bullets. Truth is, projectile weaponry will be with mankind forever. It is just too simple, easy, and reliable. Sure, we will have energy weapons as well, but I guarantee you bullets will always be with us.

Overall, I more or less bought their futuristic concept, they had enough 'new stuff' to keep me happy.

I also didn't try to dig too deep lest I spoil the suspense of disbelief.

Mel...

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I demand to know what the better light sources are. I'm so fucking sick of my lightbulb, I could scream.

Also, most of my library is on my I-Touch now, because...well...its really really REALLY convenient. Like, I have 25 books, hours of music, and the Avatar I-pod video game (shockingly fun) ALL IN ONE THING!

Seriously, that is cool.

But...yeah, is the new and improved form of lightbulb some kind of plasma sphere?

Does this mean I can illuminate my house with nothing but plasma lamps!?

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Avatar Review on the Spoony Experiment. I love that guy.
I still think Avatar was a very well done movie, but I can easily empathize with everything Spoony says.

Sequel spoilers
It may take place on other planets. It's confirmed that it will at least partly take place on Pandora...underwater...
Also, it is supposed to focus more on the Na'vi culture. (Thank goodness)
It takes place several years later, and will still focus on Jake and Neytiri.

End spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.