Ian Paisley has died

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Link

All what I have heard of him make it sound like if he was a fanatic that helped to delay the peace process in Northern Ireland. What are you perspectives about him?

Jo Zebedee

space opera-popcorn lover!
Registered
Reaction score
Off the shoulder of Orion, not far from Belfast.
Website
Www.jozebedee.com
Your view on him is, I think, naive (sorry).Certainly he was strongly against the peace process for a long time but, in the end, it was him embracing it that brought about the current devolved government. In a country full of people with ingrained views, he had one of the biggest voices (literally!), and his influence went into nuances that will flavour Ulster for a long time - as will others. I'm no supporter of him, or of his party, but I do recognise there are more complications in terms of his beliefs, contribution and legacy than are, perhaps, evident in a casual reading.

Last edited:

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
This is what I was wondering. Don't be sorry, it's just that I was curious due to him being such a dividing figure in UK contemporary history but finding hard to get an unbiased source, especially now that he has passed away.

KarmaPolice

Registered
Reaction score
I really didn't like the man, but in a way, he finally repaid all the trouble he'd caused for the previous 30 years by finally sitting down with 'the enemy' and making a deal. When I saw the news re-hashing his life, I thought of the saying - only Nixon could go to China. After all, nobody could accuse old 'Doctor No' of being hoodwinked or caving in.

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
If the devil goes up to heaven and requests political asylum, we'll know why, won't we?