William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
here's one: coincidence and inference exist and these things, co-mingled with the human imagination, create a psychological condition in which a person, not sufficiently stimulated and motivated by observable reality, chases one (or sometimes a variety) of far-fetched theories to escape the boredom and insignificance of life.

oh... and it's run by the jews.

Last edited:

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
It's all the fault of lesbians with elf fetishes.

I should know. :D

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
This one goes back a ways:

There is a wide-spread rumor of an anti-union, pretty much slave labor factory which 'employed' a minority race, keeping them in isolation in a far-flung gulag in a frozen wasteland. None of them had any contact with the outside world, and were kept captive and busy all year in the factory.

The evil dictator kept track of them with a list of subversives. The evil dictator also kept animals captive, strong, special animals which he trained for his own dastardly plans.

But once that year, that evil dictator took the fruits of their labor and whipped the poor animals aloft, leaving the minority race alone. They took their chance, and bolted out into the frozen wastelands. . .

. . . where they all froze to death.

The end.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure you've all seen this. I may have seen this posted here before. But for conspiracy theories this takes the cake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c6HsiixFS8

I really never truly believed that people could be this stupid. I really think this goes beyond lack of education.
Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner! Lock thread!

I'm speechless.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so don't lock the thread. My favorite whacko conspiracy theory is that we never made it to the moon, because I have personal experience that refutes it.

I remember standing behind our house and pointing a directional antenna at the moon so we could listen directly to the transmissions. My brother the electronics geek built it. I saw the signal fade as the moon moved, and saw it increase when I refocused the antenna on the moon.

Theory busted. If you're going to throw disclaimers about weather balloons or orbiting satellite relay antennas, please prove your physics.

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
the problem with observable reality is that we see it based on expectations, which in turn are based on available facts and our interpretation of information available at the time.

seems to me that observable reality is not a constant. which is why i choose not to limit my understanding of reality to that which is readily observable and accepted.

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
as for conspiracy theories, i will sit back and watch this time around :popcorn:

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
The government has devised a way to keep it's citizens from getting out of control and into bad things. There've been studies done that show when people have nothing to do with their lives, they tend to get into trouble.

Therefore, they have the medical associations put out literature telling you that you need AT LEAST 8 hours of sleep a night (when you realistically could survive and thrive on 6 hours sleep).

And they force companies toward a 40 hour work week so that you must work 8 hours a day (and realistically be there 8.5 or 9 hours due to lunch breaks).

Thereby occupying over 2/3 of your time.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score

There is a wide-spread rumor of an anti-union, pretty much slave labor factory which 'employed' a minority race, keeping them in isolation in a far-flung gulag in a frozen wasteland. None of them had any contact with the outside world, and were kept captive and busy all year in the factory.

The evil dictator kept track of them with a list of subversives. The evil dictator also kept animals captive, strong, special animals which he trained for his own dastardly plans.

But once that year, that evil dictator took the fruits of their labor and whipped the poor animals aloft, leaving the minority race alone. They took their chance, and bolted out into the frozen wastelands. . .

The end.

But...

but...

I want my toys for Christmas. :cry:

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com

The end.

Fairy tales only SOMETIMES qualify as conspiracy theories. I'll let this one slide. ;)

Thank you for your offering. :)

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Okay, so don't lock the thread. My favorite whacko conspiracy theory is that we never made it to the moon, because I have personal experience that refutes it.

I remember standing behind our house and pointing a directional antenna at the moon so we could listen directly to the transmissions. My brother the electronics geek built it. I saw the signal fade as the moon moved, and saw it increase when I refocused the antenna on the moon.

Theory busted. If you're going to throw disclaimers about weather balloons or orbiting satellite relay antennas, please prove your physics.

I actually knew a girl in college who believed this. And this was when I was in college in Florida, mind you -- within line-of-sight of Cape Canaveral! We saw easilly a dozen launches of the space shuttle in our tennure at that college. Yet she STILL insisted it was all a hoax.

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
the problem with observable reality is that we see it based on expectations, which in turn are based on available facts and our interpretation of information available at the time.

seems to me that observable reality is not a constant. which is why i choose not to limit my understanding of reality to that which is readily observable and accepted.

Gee thanks-- now my head hurts. :D

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
One of my favorite urban legends has more than a few conspiracy elements. It is also completely brain-missing, but here goes nothing:

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/ghosts/hotel.asp

I first heard about chemtrails from the same person who also told me about this little paranoid theory:

http://www.libertyforlife.com/jail-police/us_concentration_camps.htm

It is all nonsense of course, but great fodder for rounds and rounds of fiction.

Okay, the FIRST LINK you've provided is the plot for the movie "Vanishings." (Check!)

The SECOND LINK is yet another offering from what I like to call the "Ultimate Dagwood Sandwich" of conspiarcy theories: a spicey conglomeration of 9/11-was-an-inside-job, FEMA Camps, white railroad cars, FEMA coffins, Bilderberg, Satanic rituals, Masonic conspiracies, UFO conspiracies, JFK conspiracies, and a dozen others all rolled into one giant theory so huge you can barely wrap your mouth around it, let alone swallow it. (Check!)

Very good! :)

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
The government has devised a way to keep it's citizens from getting out of control and into bad things. There've been studies done that show when people have nothing to do with their lives, they tend to get into trouble.

Therefore, they have the medical associations put out literature telling you that you need AT LEAST 8 hours of sleep a night (when you realistically could survive and thrive on 6 hours sleep).

And they force companies toward a 40 hour work week so that you must work 8 hours a day (and realistically be there 8.5 or 9 hours due to lunch breaks).

Thereby occupying over 2/3 of your time.

Um ... this sounds like the government is conspiring to help us and to do right by us. This one's no fun!

j/k

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Generally, mentioning the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR) will earn you a tinfoil hat and 'Conspiracy Theorist' label in short order. It will probably do so here. However, a little research is in order.

The Council on Foreign Relations does exist, it does seek to 'guide' public opinion in foreign affairs, and a large number of politicians from both sides of the aisle and a large number of the largest corporations are members. All easily verified facts which help explain how little our foreign policies change from administration to administration.

A CFR study group is the source of the rumors for a 'North American Union' and the 'Amero' currency. The task force chairman, Robert Pastor, wrote in Foreign Affairs,

"The U.S., Mexican, and Canadian governments remain zealous defenders of an outdated conception of sovereignty even though their citizens are ready for a new approach. Each nation's leadership has stressed differences rather than common interests. North America needs leaders who can articulate and pursue a broader vision... Countries are benefited when they changed these [national sovereignty] policies, and evidence suggests that North Americans are ready for a new relationship that renders this old definition of sovereignty obsolete."
If you prefer the U.S. remain a sovereign nation, the CFR is most probably not your friend, and concern over the organization's involvement in U.S. policymaking hardly seems unjustified. That's one tinfoil hat I'll wear with pride.