Status
Not open for further replies.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed, it's a great avie.

And, yeah, some of the NPCs are hilarious is their misdirection.

Started the replay of the main game. The captain of the ship is still not working right, despite the Thanksgiving Day patch. *sigh*

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just beat the game (finally). I had a couple of interesting reactions. (Whited out because of spoilers)

As a story: The story ended pretty much as I expected--with a large open door for the franchise to continue. That makes me happy.

As a gamer: I was massively disappointed. While the franchise has never given us a choice who needed to be assassinated, we always got to figure out how and do it. Haytham and Lee's deaths were totally against everything I was accustomed to. They were highly unsatisfying and irritated me to the extreme. And then the end with Desmond--I wanted to make the choice, damnitall. I didn't just want to sit there and watch. It really irked me and made me wonder what the point of playing through the last five games was.

amrose

is Envy Augustine
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As a gamer:

Your listed spoilery reasons bothered me too.

This installment felt more like the designers couldn't decide if they wanted to make a game or an interactive movie. In the future I hope the complexity and nuance of the plot will be melded better into satisfying gameplay.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
All things considered, I think AC3 stands a little above Revelations, way below Brotherhood, and way, way, waaaaay below ACII (the best in the series so far, in my opinion).

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
All things considered, I think AC3 stands a little above Revelations, way below Brotherhood, and way, way, waaaaay below ACII (the best in the series so far, in my opinion).

I'd put AC in there, probably tied with Brotherhood, but I agree with your rating based on my own replaying experiences. I'll replay any of the first three (AC, AC2 & AC:B) before the last two.

I'm really hoping Ubisoft takes some time with AC4 and not rush it out fast.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Desmond's missions in III were obviously rushed. Noticed the way he handles his second, disappearing-prone knife?

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Didn't notice the knife, but I did feel like there wasn't much to Desmond's bits. But that's rather like many of the DLC/naval missions. Get in, do a little bit and it's over. Nothing much to sink my teeth into.

Found another glitch and it's got me irked. I didn't get the 4 flints when my recruits did the missions, so I can't fulfill the Westpoint challenges. Unless there's somewhere else in the game where I can get flints. Any suggestions?

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
My mother mailed me the game for Christmas, so I finally got to play it. Just finished it.

Like everyone else, I encountered a lot of glitches, despite downloading whatever the latest patch was as of last week. Mouths moving when no one was talking. Moments of characters not doing what they were supposed to. Weapons disappearing from my inventory.

Lots of frustrating game play. Seemed like there were always too many guards in every fight. Horses stopping at stupid rocks, and getting shot down easy.

I don't know that the open world was as beautiful as Skyrim. The animal graphics were terrible, especially the horses, and their non-historical tack (why don't these developers ever hire equine artists onto their teams?). It often pulled me out of the world. The artists obviously went through so much trouble to make the people and their clothes real, and yet the animals lacked this sense of bone, muscle, expression, and texture.

The naval missions were beautiful and fun. It was as if way more time was put into them. If only there was more to them.

I think I'm alone, in that I like Conner better than Ezio. Never had a thing for the suave womanizer type. Especially ones in eras before birth control was invented. Loved Conner's moments of sarcasm. I also felt Conner was more compassionate about his kills. Like he was doing what he had to do, but hating it. Spoilers: Even with Lee. Trouble with him was, the writers put him in a position of constantly grieving. Ezio lost his father and brothers in the beginning, and that was pretty much that. Thereafter, he always had his sister, mother, and close friends to lean on, laugh with, and fight for. The writers gave Conner nothing. Yet, Connor pressed on. I admire his tenacity. But I really wish he'd gotten some joy in his life, aside from the homestead people.

The story fell through for me at Hatham's death. I liked Haytham, despite his darkness. I wanted to see him redeem himself. I desperately longed to see father and son reconcile in a big way. I wanted them to HUG by the end, dammit! Why did they have us play Hatham, and grow attached to him, and then develop such stimulating father-son chemistry, only to finish it like that? I mean, why couldn't Desmond's dad have been the one to die? He was the boring unlikable one.

By the end of the game, Connor suffered too many loses, and so did Desmond. Everything felt too vague and abstract. Like nothing mattered anymore.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Found another glitch and it's got me irked. I didn't get the 4 flints when my recruits did the missions, so I can't fulfill the Westpoint challenges. Unless there's somewhere else in the game where I can get flints. Any suggestions?

Figured out what happened to the flints and it's not a glitch. I didn't realize I had them when I did a "sell all" bit. *sigh*

Not going to make that mistake, should I play it through again. Which I probably will, at some point.

The only real glitch I ever ran into was the attacked convoy glitch. But I just built other convoys and ignored it, for the most part. (Well, the captain still talks without moving his mouth before the attack, but that's still just funny, not game-crippling.) I guess I got lucky.

I'm still holding out some hope for the King Washington DLC. I'm just hoping it doesn't turn out to be a 10 minute jaunt, which was the longest any of the other DLC turned out to be.

sharpyetblunt

Registered
Reaction score
So disappointed that ive read so much bad stuff about this game. AC2 and Brotherhood were great. Had high hopes but now i can't even be bothered to start.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Posted this on an AC3 forum and got blown off. I wonder if fellow writers might have a different opinion on it:

I'm a novel writer, among other things, and one of the things that has always attracted me to the AC franchise has been the high quality of story telling (specifically historical story-telling) I saw. I honestly had never wanted to play video games until seeing AC1 played.

I got to talking with other novel-writing friends to figure out why this game fell so flat and I think I've hit on it. It's two very basic things in storytelling and consistency.

First off, AC has NEVER been afraid to name bad guys for our hero to face off again. Various historical characters have been stretched to historical limits, but they became villains for this series (not that the Borgias were that much of a stretch, I know). This is a game of Good Guys vs Bad Guys.

In AC3, Ubisoft would not plainly state Bad Guys. They tried to paint historical characters in shades of grey, as they never have before. Thus, this game doesn't feel like part of the same series, even though the mechanics are essentially the same. I don't know if they were afraid of offending people with such statements in American history or what, but they failed in this basic story telling necessity. (As a writer, if I couldn't do it, I would've opted for another historical time period where I was comfortable. Consistency is mandatory in a series.)

Secondly, and this ties into the first, Connor is not the HERO of AC3 the same way that Altair and Ezio was. It has nothing to do with personality. You get the feeling after playing Ezio that he is noted at least in local history and definitely in Assassin history. That his presence made a big difference in anything he had his hands on. Altair is legendary in Ezio's time. Ezio is noted in Connor's. Yet there is no sense that what Connor is doing makes a whit of difference in the scheme of anyone's history or memory.

People complain that Connor's a wuss, that he's boring, whatever. But he's as much a BAMF as Ezio or Altair. But he's just everyone's gofer in this game. He's not allowed to make big decisions, to carry those decisions out, to actually have a place in this spot in history. Thus, he is a much smaller hero than Ezio was--and back is the wrong direction to take. Each hero has to be as big or bigger than the one before him, as Ezio was to Altair.

I think this because Ubisoft wimped out. Whether they were overwhelmed by their history choice or what, they dropped the ball with this one and we noticed. Even more, we're dissatisfied. If they intend to keep the franchise going (and I hope they do), they'd better step up and not wimp out on us again. I don't think the series will survive another misstep like this one.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Got the Perfectionist Trophy/Award finally. Still haven't got the Naval missions to 100%, but I'm working on it. I believe there's another trophy for getting all that stuff perfect.I've been having a LOT of fun with the Tyranny of King Washington DLC. Is anyone else playing it? An assassin with super powers is pretty frigging fun. It's kinda a shock to go back to the regular game and adjust to fighting without them.

Status
Not open for further replies.