Writerly despair and other navel-gazing nonsense: with some swears, so be warned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
So...crisis averted?

good. ;)

In all seriousness, it's...well, the worst of it has passed. I don't think it's possible for someone to feel that bad for long, or you'd just...break.

I've been sluggish all day, still managed to get some writing done, so yes, it'll pass.

Not one of those things I can hurry; it has to happen in its own time.

Nature's way of telling me to slow down and be kind to myself perhaps? ;)

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
In all seriousness, it's...well, the worst of it has passed. I don't think it's possible for someone to feel that bad for long, or you'd just...break.

I've been sluggish all day, still managed to get some writing done, so yes, it'll pass.

Not one of those things I can hurry; it has to happen in its own time.

Nature's way of telling me to slow down and be kind to myself perhaps? ;)
After two weeks of not writing, and spending a few days in misery over it, I sat down last night around, oh....half past six, made myself leave AW alone and I rewrote Chapter Six, 3400(aprox) and it took until roughly two am. That's eight hours. I've found fresh material goes much faster for me but I'm rewriting a story. I have decided, it takes as long as it takes. I don't know why it is on a Sunday FF Challenge I can whip out 800 words in 20 minutes and I'm happy with it and this is dragging me down.

I think it's dreading how really badly written the thing was in the first place. But I take breaks from it, I tell myself; crap can only be rewritten if you actually do the work and everyone is allowed to write crap, so then so can I.

Yes, be good to yourself. Allow for those really good days and really sucky ones. And remember, sweetpea, pay attention to your limitations and don't go on sprees for days on end without rest. A crash is bound to come. ;)

Love ya! ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
DON'T MAKE ME GLARE AT YOU!

This is a serious thread, so keep the naughties to rep points please. :D

(Hark at me, coming over all authoritative). :ROFL:

Samantha's_Song

At least I don't need backing-up
Registered
Reaction score
yes, S. P. Sorry, S. P. It won't happen again. :tongue

Reaction score
You're my pearl, blaccy. A minor irritation that just keeps getting bigger. :D

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Hey -I hadn't seen this thread. (gotta get out of my ucp once in a while...)

sparklepeaches.... what to say. I hope you are coming out of your funk. That is all it is. And do not react rashly. This too shall pass. What's the worse that can happen? You never get published. No one beyond your circle of friends knows you write, all alone, pouring your heart and soul into something that may never see the light of day. You'll be just like hundreds of thousands of writers out there....

But suppose... oh suppose... you write and you publish. You get to hold your baby in your hands, with a cover, and a blurb on the back, and the fresh clean paper on the inside, and you flip through the pages and get that mediciney/pulpy new book smell, and feel the crisp edges of the cover against the meat of your thumb.... ohhh... rapture....

or you could delete everything, have nothing to look forward to, have wasted your time and talent feeding the recycle bin on your stupid computer, and be a big, fat, selfish crybaby writer, tearing their hair out and producing nothing, that didn't have the guts to take her WIP by the balls, pull it close, soul kiss it on the mouth and breath life into it.

your choice, punkin.

Last edited:

TabithaTodd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
wwwtabithatodd.wordpress.com
I know this is cliche here SP... "we are our own worse critics".

I truly believe that. I'm sorry you are going through a rough moment (or many). I remember before my move from the city I could crank out just about as much as you did the other day, every day. Heck, co wrote a book in less than 2 months with another author and it's on its 2nd revision for the last oh...4 months. Now, couldn't even form a sentence much less string two words together when it comes to writing anything that I've started WIP\MS wise since I moved except for a few days here and there since mid March.

It's almost like the sorrows and struggles of the city were what fueled my writing and with that gone here in the country...I seem to have lost my steam. I have to find something here that fuels me...I know how you feel is basically what I am trying to say.

Reaction score
I know it's gonna happen again, it's the way I'm wired. I just wish I could see it coming, or prepare for it, or arm myself against it in some ways.

Perhaps writing is what keeps me just this side of sane, and because I love it most, it's where I feel the pain most. When I'm depressed I can't do the thing I most want to do and...if you'll forgive me for sounding incredibly wanky, it feels like my soul's been ripped out.

Status
Not open for further replies.