Supernatural (Warning: Spoilers)

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com
Did they offer some explanation for the angels no longer being able to fly?

Last season their wings got clipped.

Um, guys, was that cure waaaay too easy?

*is suspicious*

Possibly. But I'm going to go with cured until I see evidence otherwise. In private, Dean was looking at pictures of his family. He didn't need to put on a show for anyone just then. If we see him acting normal in private in coming episodes (as normal as he can given he has the Mark of Cain which dampened his emotion last season), I think it's legit. Sam even commented it was harder than when he worked on Crowley. Besides, it sounds like they are setting up the conflict to be about the Mark. Dean might not be a demon, but he still has the Mark, and that will continue to have an adverse effect on him. Dean's struggle could be about fighting the Mark.

Last edited:

acockey

Bronies, Bronies Everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Ya that cure happened way too fast for me too, I hope and pray they make more problems to go with that supposed cure

Also is Dean a little aloof after being cured...I mean doesn't he remember all the bad stuff he just did

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Ya that cure happened way too fast for me too, I hope and pray they make more problems to go with that supposed cure

Also is Dean a little aloof after being cured...I mean doesn't he remember all the bad stuff he just did

I felt this way, too.

THAT SAID, I was pretty much at my limit of Dean being a complete, unfeeling, maniacal asshole. Maybe part of the issue was that there was no "middle ground" like there was with Crowley. We saw Crowley fight against it, moments of weakness peeking through. There was an obvious transition for him. For Dean, it was just "jerk, jerk, jerk, jerk.. SUPRISE! I AM BETTER!" It felt like there was an entire act missing.

And they did not delve into what Sam did to get a crossroad demon to torture nearly enough. Furthermore, because Dean killed the husband, wasn't Crowley angry because he could not have the man's soul? And yet Dean told Sam that the man DID lose his soul?

And didn't Sam hurt his arm AFTER Commando guy busted him up? And yet we see Sam with the crossroads demon before that? Or, did that happen after?

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
All spoilers; all in white.

Easy? Well, I think they fast forwarded the time in between treatments (IIRC, Sam treated Crowley in 8-hour intervals). Also, how easy is it to trap a demon and keep it trapped? As Dean showed: not very. Dean would have killed Sam if not for Cas.

Overall: loved the ep. Lots of The Shining moments there, especially when Dean slowly chooses the hammer.

Really loved that the pics of Mama and Papa Winchester were of the older actors. Makes me hopeful for JDM returning! And those shots - of their parents as we saw them in season 1; of younger Sam from season 1 with his short hair - makes me think that this is, indeed, the final season. We've now literally seen how far they've come. And the coda, showing...Abaddon redux, maybe?...with the dead staff pinned to the ceiling, dripping blood - that's also a hat tip to season 1. Full circle, folks.

And there's no Big Bad for the season. Mark of Cain? Needs to be dealt with. Cas's lost grace? Needs to be dealt with. Whatever's wrong with Sam's shoulder? (Did Jared get hurt?) Needs to be dealt with. None of these are on the level of Yellow Eyes, or Lilith, or Lucifer. That, plus the nods toward season 1, make me think that A) this is, indeed, the last season and B) there's a chance that during the mid-season finale that Dean will kill Sam (in a burst of Cain-induced rage) and Sam will wake up in the Cage. (I know. I can't let it go. Sorry.
)

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
I felt this way, too.

THAT SAID, I was pretty much at my limit of Dean being a complete, unfeeling, maniacal asshole. Maybe part of the issue was that there was no "middle ground" like there was with Crowley. We saw Crowley fight against it, moments of weakness peeking through. There was an obvious transition for him. For Dean, it was just "jerk, jerk, jerk, jerk.. SUPRISE! I AM BETTER!" It felt like there was an entire act missing.

And they did not delve into what Sam did to get a crossroad demon to torture nearly enough. Furthermore, because Dean killed the husband, wasn't Crowley angry because he could not have the man's soul? And yet Dean told Sam that the man DID lose his soul?

And didn't Sam hurt his arm AFTER Commando guy busted him up? And yet we see Sam with the crossroads demon before that? Or, did that happen after?

Spoilers in my answers:

Agreed about being done with Dean-mon. Good timing. Three eps did it.

As for Dean's transformation, they said the cure was affecting him differently than it did Crowley, possibly due to the Mark. So I'm willing to go with him holding onto his fury and assholishness until the bitter end. Besides, Sam already couldn't kill him; if the real Dean had been poking through, that would have weakened that pivotal scene.

The flashback suggested to me that Sam had never intended for the guy to go ahead and make the bargain; Sam was shouting "No" the whole time. He was supposed to be bait, nothing more. And Crowley was pissed because the guy was supposed to get to see his wife get killed; instead, the wife is alive and he (the client) got killed. Don't know if that makes the bargain null and void, and his soul went to Purgatory or maybe even Heaven.

And nope, Sam's arm/shoulder was already in a sling when the young hunter got him -- that's why Sam needed help getting the hood of the car up, etc

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
DragonJax, thank you for clarification!

As for a big bad, I wonder who the woman at the end was. A possible new baddie?

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
As long as it's not that heretic, disaster of a spin-off with the werewolf mafia families and crap. Holy %&$*.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Quick thoughts on the episode: really enjoyed it, loved the chase scene, and I'm always down with Cas saving the day with epic angel hugs. I'm also really enjoying the Crowley plot-line this season -- I just wish this show would stop skirting the gaybaiting line with Crowley and Dean and just have either or both characters come out as bisexual or gay. PLEASE.

A pipe dream, I know, but still.

One thing that did bother me: Dean was human enough to get out the demon cuffs and devils traps, which means he must have had a massive amount of human blood in him. But it didn't change his personality one bit. I really hoped we'd see something, even just a flicker of conflict when he was facing off with Sam.

We've now literally seen how far they've come.

Welp, that's my favourite SPN fanvid stuck in my head again.

Remember, you asked.

They have a Stairway To Heaven now.

*applause*

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
C'mon, the sure-fire spinoff's there already: a buddy comedy about Crowley and Cas. In the first episode they have a catfight over Dean, which ends when they realize Dean will never love anyone but Sam. Hey, it's the CW.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
They have a Stairway To Heaven now.
I appreciate the humor, but my initial question was in earnest. Are the angels de-powered now for all time? They've regained heaven but not their full powers? Is there something else they hope to get from Metatron to restore them? That seems like a massive shift in the BOP between Angels and Demons if the latter can now pop in and out of anywhere while the former need to take public transportation.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure. Maybe the wings gives them "wooshing" abilities? The lady angel who had her lurve killed burnt out the gas station attendant's eyes. And they can heal. There are still these things.

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com
I appreciate the humor, but my initial question was in earnest. Are the angels de-powered now for all time? They've regained heaven but not their full powers? Is there something else they hope to get from Metatron to restore them? That seems like a massive shift in the BOP between Angels and Demons if the latter can now pop in and out of anywhere while the former need to take public transportation.

The angels use the Stairway to go between Heaven and Earth. Their wings were "clipped" when Metratron did the spell which means they cannot teleport. Angels on Earth still need to use transportation to get around.

We haven't had any answer or clarification on whether they permanently lost this power or if they will regain it in the future.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
The angels use the Stairway to go between Heaven and Earth. Their wings were "clipped" when Metratron did the spell which means they cannot teleport. Angels on Earth still need to use transportation to get around.

We haven't had any answer or clarification on whether they permanently lost this power or if they will regain it in the future.

I would love to see them regain it. The moment where Cas reveals himself for the first time to Dean and Bobby was amaaaaaazing! The wings coming out in a shadow behind him. Yes please!

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
At the halfway point. Anyone else finding this ep slow and uninteresting? :(

ETA: Conclusion: Filler. Lordy, I'm tired of 10 years of those repetitive car conversations to end an ep. We did get to hear what happened to Jared's elbow, though.

ETAA: A break already?! :Headbang: Although I liked the meta show preview. It reminded me of the LARPing ep back in the days of Chuck.

Last edited:

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
And there were three looong scenes that took place solely in that car. Are they saving money for a big budget extravaganza later in the season?

Looks like next week's epi would have been better for the pre-Halloween show, but I suppose they wanted to save it for 200.