Unsolicited magazine submissions

Ulee_Lhea

Fear no darkness.
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished a nonfiction class in which we wrote several magazine articles. I would like to try to get these published, but am unsure of the protocol for sending unsolicited work to a magazine.

Do I query first or just send the article with a cover letter?

Is it OK to submit to more than one magazine at once or is this considered bad form?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Fatal Serenity

Eccentric to the core.
Registered
Reaction score
First, are these articles essays or articles? If they are already written essays, you may be better off sending the whole article, but make sure you know what the specific magazine prefers. If the essays' merit is acheived via your writing quality and style, it might be hard to explain this in a query. However, most magazines (especially the bigger ones) prefer queries first. Editors recieve a lot of submissions and queries, and it takes a lot less time to read through a query than the whole article. Again, each magazine has its own preferences, and writers who adhere to them will gain bonus points with editors.

Pertaining to sending articles or queries to more than one magazine at a time: This is called simutaneous submissions. While every editor wishes that they were the only magazine you sent your query to, most understand that in order to make a living in this business freelancers rely heavily upon having the same idea published in multiple locations. It can take anywhere from a couple weeks to 6 months (or even a year) for a magazine to accept or reject your submission (and in some cases an editor may not send an answer either way). However, there are some magazines that specifically ask their contributors not to submit the same material to other mags. Generally, if you can't find anything that states this, it is considered acceptable to submit simutaneously. If you get an essay accepted, most writers will send the other editors a note stating which rights are still available. If the article idea (query) was accepted, it is common curtousy to tell the other editors.

My best suggestion is to pick up a copy of the Writers Market Guide 2010 (or use one at a library). This book will give you specifics for over 2,000 magazines.
Best of Luck,
KZ

Last edited:

Ulee_Lhea

Fear no darkness.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, KZ! That's very helpful! And it's funny you should mention Jenna's book ... not ten minutes ago I recommended it to someone in another thread. I have had it about a year now and absolutely love it! Can't recommend it enough to beginning freelancers.

To clarify my post above, I am subbing articles (complete with research, interviews, etc.). I've got a few markets picked out ... just unsure of the best approach. I would prefer to query as KZ suggested, but am concerned that if I do so, no editor will take me seriously as I don't have any clips to send along. Any thoughts from the trenches?

Cheers,
Sarah

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Well, while there is no harm in starting with the big fish, your best bet is to go small, local, etc. Find a smaller magazine that would benefit from your work and send a query that includes small snippets of quotes from your experts, etc. You say you have Jenna's book, so you know what a great query should contain. Don't mention your clips or lack thereof, but do definitely mention any credentials you have (for example, if the article is on health care for aging pets, and you happen to be a veterinarian, that is totally relevant.)

Ulee_Lhea

Fear no darkness.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for that! Sounds like so far people feel like querying is the way to go. I will give it a try ..

Fern

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Read the guidelines for the publications you plan to submit to. Some do accept completed manuscripts. Some don't.

When sending a complete manuscript, I do include a cover letter which reads very much like a query, except that the manuscript is enclosed.

If you don't have clips, don't mention clips - actually, I don't ever remember being asked for clips except maybe once. If you have been published you might mention in the cover letter that your work has been published in x, x, and x magazine. Also, I would not mention in the cover letter that you have just finished a nonfiction class.

Ulee_Lhea

Fear no darkness.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Fern! More great advice. I did everything you all suggested and it looks like most of the markets that are a decent fit want queries. So I am working on these right now.

Fatal Serenity

Eccentric to the core.
Registered
Reaction score
If you do need writing samples, you could write an article (on something under the same category as the one you're querying) and use that as the sample you send to the editor. You do not need to mention that it was not previously published. However, if you are querying a big magazine, they will most likely request multiple samples and where they have been published.

Ulee_Lhea

Fear no darkness.
Registered
Reaction score
Funny you should mention that--this article was supposed to be my sample! I'm hoping to get it published somewhere so it becomes a bona fide "clip." We'll see how things go ... thanks again for your help and expertise!

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
I agree with most. I'd send a query. But I wouldn't create a sample just to submit an article -- when you already have THAT article written.

If they ask for clips just send them the article, tell them you already have it written and don't mind submitting 'on spec.' (Which means they only pay you if they use it.)

The reason to send clips is to show you can write and hopefully *avoid* writing on spec, but there's no harm here since you've already written the article.

Dawn

Clarification - The editors liking an article or not has nothing to do with pay. You get paid if they *use* it. Oops.

Last edited:

Ulee_Lhea

Fear no darkness.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Dawn! I have heard of writers selling their first articles on-spec and had wondered what that's about.

labcat

Registered
Reaction score
I am interviewing for a freelance sports position tomorrow. While sports aren't my preferred topic, i feel it will put me in a better position to publish some stringers with the publishing group. In this case it really isn't about the money as much as the byline and establishing a report with the editor...thoughts?

Fatal Serenity

Eccentric to the core.
Registered
Reaction score
Published writing clips are imperetive to success in this business, and I wish you the best of luck with this opportunity. However, as a freelance writer you have the freedom to write about topics based on your interests and experiences. If sports aren't your favorite topic, just be sure that you continue to move forward and look for opportunities covering topics you are more passionate about.

Again, best of luck. :)