Please help me solve my personal dillemma

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
If you have to ask, keep the damn thing. If you still have to ask a year from now, keep the damn thing. If you don't really care one way or another, then sell it.

And no, it's not a damn guy problem. Stop generalizing.
Why is this offensive to anyone?

Guys have hobbies. They stay busy. I've never known a single man that didn't have ten projects he was working on. Everything from woodworking to writing to cars to fishing to camping to Nascar to biking. The list goes on and on.

And my husband has several friends who buy and collect guitars, amongst other things.

Why in God's name would anyone dispute notions such as these?

Has anyone ever known a man that didn't have pet projects?

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Guys have hobbies. They stay busy. I've never known a single man that didn't have ten projects he was working on. Everything from woodworking to writing to cars to fishing to camping to Nascar to biking. The list goes on and on.

And my husband has several friends who buy and collect guitars, amongst other things.

Why in God's name would anyone dispute notions such as these?

Why would anyone dispute it? Because it's not universally true.

Why would people be offended? Because you've extrapolated to the whole world based on your local observations, and you've done so in an uncomplimentary way.

If a lot of people are offended by something you say, it might be worth taking a moment to reflect and think about why that might be.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com

Not only do you generalize it as a "guy" problem -- tell me women don't have hobbies or pet projects? Why is that only a guy problem? Plus the tone you use: "You guys are all the same." Excuse me? We're not all the same, and we're not all idiots.

And they represent the whole population of guys? How? I don't buy and collect guitars. Am I not a guy now?

I don't, not usually. And do women not have pet projects as well? Just because it's not guitars doesn't mean women don't have hobbies or pet projects -- should we start saying "that's such a women problem"?

Last edited:

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
And if I may add, men and their collections I understand a heck of a lot more than a woman needing 20 pairs of the same shoe all in different colors. *shudders*

And you know, I bet my husband feels the same way toward me as you do about your hubby. My fencing armor/swords/etc clutter everything. I've not fenced in years, but I keep telling myself I am again. And no amount of cash could make me as happy as seeing it sit in the corner waiting on me...

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
Back to the original post -

I would definitely recommend getting an opinion from a shop on the value of the amp. Vintage tube amps are highly desirable and can often sell for $1000 just on their own. There's absolutely no reason to be giving away money, even if it would be a windfall and the buyer is a friend.

But I think you should let it go. Instruments are made to be played. If you're not playing it, then let it move along to someone who will. Some instruments will actually deteriorate if they aren't played regularly, so there's a chance it won't be much use to anyone anyway if you hang on to it.

Definitely do not lend it. I made that mistake some years ago with an acoustic guitar that I wasn't using and by the time I got it back, it had a nice crack in the top from being left out in a car in the middle of a Boston winter.

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
i think your argument is true for tubas and accordians and many decent guitars in the world, pconsidine. however, most guitars aren't made to be played. they're made to be played with. an old lotus is nice enough, but it's not the bees knees. we're not talking about a nocaster or an vintage rick.

don't sell the lotus because it's a great and valuable tool for the musical education of the children in your family and circle of friends. give that one away to a good home, when the time is right.

that amp, however, is too valuable to sell. in ten years, your return on investment in that amp will only go up. for something like this, value will continue to increase as musicians destroy the remaining models by being musicians. for one of that small size, you probably won't break the 1000 dollar mark today. but just you wait on that one. these things tend to only get more valuable after a little more time has passed and a few more models have been played to death:http://cgi.ebay.com/1960-Vintage-tw...ryZ38074QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

loaning things to people you trust isn't terrible. however, keep your things in the studio, not in cars or in clubs, and avoid all cigarette smoke. if you can't trust your friends to respect your equipment, you should get some better friends.

Parkinsonsd

Registered
Reaction score
Forget about it as an investment. The guitar was made to be played.

In my more hedonistic years I picked up both the guitar and piano. The piano is a beautiful instrument, and learning to play it is a great and admirable thing.

However, a guitar is an outlet. You lie on your bed and you think "Ah shit" as you strum your E7 chord and you think "Damn it" and you start doing your A7 and then You switch to a B7 and back to an E7 and your playing the blues and pretty soon those "Shits" and "damns" disappear as you pour them out into your blues. You don't have to be great to play the blues, you don't have to be technically proficient, you don't have to have anyone around, you just have to be feeling down.

Keep the guitar, for that reason alone.

The Grift

Tom Swiftly's Favorite Adverb
Registered
Reaction score
I've been playing the guitar since I was 12 or 13, which was quite a while ago. I have never sold a guitar and hope not to. I have acquired several.

Look at it this way; if you sell the guitar, it's going to be a heck of a lot harder to play it. Right now you MIGHT not learn. If you sell it, you CAN'T learn.

Maybe this dillemma is the kick in the butt you need to get you playing.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Thanks everyone for all the replies and advice. I've considered everything everyone has said.

I've decided to hang on to the guitar and amp, and just let my friend borrow it for as long as he needs. I've been friends with him since college and trust him with my life. He wants to use it play on a CD he's recording. He also wouldn't take it on a stage; he's actually not playing out right now. I know he'll take good care of it.

The Lotus is not an above-average guitar. I think it's kind of like a typical mid-price Chevrolet. It's a good guitar with good sound. My sister has a Fender that I find kind of hard to play. Both guitar and amp are in excellent condition. I bought them at a vintage guitar store.

Eldragon, I'm a lot like your husband. I like to collect things that I don't use, but really like. In addition to other projects, I also have a semi-restored 1935 Mills 78 RPM jukebox. And I collect old records.

We do plan to have children, and I've already told my wife they'll learn piano. Now I can offer a choice: piano or guitar.

Furthermore, the amp WILL appreciate and get rarer over the years. Perhaps in ten years, it might be time to sell it.

In the meantime, perhaps I will pick it back up. Parkinsond, I got pretty good at playing through a blues progression, and did enjoy the music I was making. Together, the guitar and amp sound great.

allen

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Jeez, lighten up, people.

Why do some people have to take things so personal here and get off in a huff?

Yeah it’s a generalization that guys collect things etc. but it’s based on reality. And if you’re not the type who does that – well, good for you! The fact still remains that many guys do and it’s one of those silly man traits – just like women have silly women traits that guys remark upon etc like shoes, shopping, chocolate etc.

Does this mean all women do these things? No. Does that mean all guys do this? No. I believe that’s a given. I’ve seen guys here jokingly refer to these womanly traits in other threads. No big deal, though.

It wasn’t a blanket condemnation but just an observation based on her own experince. So what. I didn’t see anybody pointing and saying “You, you and you do this! I know you do!!”

The whole guy collecting stuff thing has been made fun of by comedians and movies etc. for ages. So, would you get up in a huff and walk out of the theatre indignantly when THEY do it? Sheesh.

I’m moving in with a lady here soon and one of my running gags I continually tease her about is what are we gonna do with all my valuable stuff that I’ve collected over the years? My black velvet Elvis painting, my milk crate furniture, my beer bottle collection, my broken lava lamp, my patched beanbag chair etc.

So lighten up guys and save the righteous indignation for things that really matter.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Sheriff, but the gunplay's over, and the posse's all gone home. :)