Living History Communities?

V-Man

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamesvachowski.com
Hey everyone, this is my first post in Historical Writing and I'm hoping for a little assistance from the more experienced genre veterans. I'm currently working on a YA project which is set in contemporary times, but at a living history community. I've had the recent good fortune to visit several places in Virginia that are similar to my fictional setting, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend any additional references on the re-enactment lifestyle.

Specifically, I'd be interested in recommendations on any books or movies that described the business operations of these communities, the different jobs filled in addition to actors/educators, and the economic and social impact these communities have on the local area.

Thanks very much for any help!

Alison_Kale

Registered
Reaction score
Well, the two that pop to my mind are Plimoth Plantation and Williamsburg (perhaps that's one of the ones you visited?) and there's a ton of other sites in MA that have historical reenactors - Salem, Lexington, anywhere that ever had a battle. A lot of the actors in the villages are volunteers, and the paid jobs are usually the other ones, the same that any non-profit has - grants, fundraising, management, food - most of their websites have job listings, which give pretty thorough rundowns.

I don't know a ton about adult community involvement, but those towns get a lot of school visits - I'm from Boston, and I must have gone to Plimoth three times for school/girl scouts/etc by the time I was ten. For towns with more occasional enactments, I've mostly seen retired volunteers and high school and college kids interested in being history majors. There's also summer internships at some of the villages, which might work for a YA

If you want to see how some other authors have handled it, here's two other fairly recent YAs - The Pursuit of Happiness by Tara Altebrando and Past Perfect by Leila Sales.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
You might also check the Shaker communities - trying to think of the name of the one in western Massachusetts, not too far from Albany, New York - has a round barn - durn. Also Shaker - Pleasant Hill, Kentucky is a very active re-enactment spot. Puma

V-Man

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamesvachowski.com
Awesome, thanks for the material! I've been to Harper's Ferry, Williamsburg, and several Virginia battlefields recently, but I'll actually be very close to Plymouth and Sturbridge in the next few months so I'll check in on them as well. I'll probably appreciate them much more as an adult than I did as a member of the public school field trip horde!

Got a copy of "Past Perfect" on order as well- the plot's a lot different than what I had in mind, but I can't wait to see how the author handled the setting.

Thanks again! Rep points inbound!

DianeL

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dianelmajor.blogspot.com
V-Man, another site here in VA which is indispensable is Jamestown - and many of the plantations may provide reference and information going beyond specifically plantation life. Monticello and Appomattox are great resources, and there is a thriving archaeological community active throughout the state, some of whose sites may be open to the public and/or volunteers as well. Good luck!

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
There are also a lot of organizations that get together on the weekend, set up camps and re-enact battles and recreate the camp life style. It will depend on the era you are looking for...

The NSSA, (North South Skirmishers Association) carries a calendar on its web site where these events take place.

I also know that in Manassas Virginia, the National Park service is planning a big re-enactment of the First and Second battles of Bull Run.

I know there are Revolutionary War periods too but I am not sure of their organization's name.

Lastly, if you like medieval type stuff, you can always check out the SCA website. The Society for Creative Anachronisms. They even carry videos of medieval jousting, tournaments, feast, etc.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
I third Old Sturbridge Village (ask them about their tornado--better yet, go back to the cooper's workshop and LOOK at the tornado damage. Wow!)

I had a very bad experience at Plimoth plantation and haven't been back since 1995. But the First Person immersion of their reenactors might intrigue you. It totally turned me off, especially the way I saw it implemented, but if it had been done *well* it would have been fantastic.