The Town

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
THE TOWN, opening September 10. Directed and written by Ben Affleck, this is more Gone Baby, Gone than Good Will Hunting. Stars Affleck, Jon Hamm (toting a giant gun), Jeremy Renner and Rebecca Hall.

The trailer is pretty damn excellent. One of the best-cut trailers I've seen in a long while. The "twist" is only a twist for the trailer's sake; the premise is heavily dependent on what they reveal halfway through the trailer.

Watch here if you didn't see it in front of INCEPTION.

Hurt

Registered
Reaction score
Alternate trailer link.

The Town is an adaption of Chuck Hogan's novel Prince of Thieves . Chuch Hogan is also the author (along with Guillermo del Toro) of The Strain -- the first novel in a vampire triology.

Katiemac is right, the trailer is pretty damn excellent with an excellent score by Harry Gregson-Williams. However, it is bound to remind everyone of Heat.

It's interesting that Affleck has more talent behind the camera than in front of it.

All in all, The Town looks very promising.

On a final note, is it just me or does Affleck's final line in the trailer sound EXACTLY like Denzel Washington?

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I understand Affleck's a good director. But I swear, no director's been able to get him to act since Kevin Smith. (Dogma FTW.) I thought the trailer was only slightly less painful than the one for Charlie St. Cloud. I simply can't see Affleck carrying off "tormented criminal valiantly trying to do justice for True Love". Add that to "director and star are same person" = vote of no confidence.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Add that to "director and star are same person" = vote of no confidence.

I give them credit for not pushing that in the trailer, though. "From the acclaimed director of Gone Baby Gone" and no additional push to say that acclaimed director is in fact Ben Affleck. Showing some restraint gives me a more faith.

Plus I just like the idea of Jon Hamm as an FBI agent.