Last Movie You Watched...

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
The Tempest. Very nice reinterpretation of the classic, keeping all of the original dialogue intact (I think. I am a simple screenwriter and unversed in fine arts :)) while making full use of the amazing Hawaii locales. Helen Mirren performs an amazing Prospero, with Ben Whishaw as a nude hermaphroditic Ariel and Djimon Hounsou as an over the top Caliban. On the other hand, there's Russell Brand doing his thing as Trinculo :rolleyes: and some Beatles-esque reinterpretations of various poetic monologues. It's pretty enjoyable, though classical purists might freak out.

mario_c

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
...and tonight: The Tourist. Very disappointing. I dig Johnny Depp and here he's very funny and owns the role. Angelina is gorgeous - she's like a young Sophia Loren in this movie (that's the highest praise I can muster). But is it me or is she incredibly wooden in her last few movies? To be fair, Johnny looks embarrassed too but at least he tries. And this one struck me as amazingly derivative and predictable sub-Hitchcockian filmmaking, coasting on the gorgeous leads and gorgeous Venetian locations to blind us to how formulaic the whole thing is.

PS Followed up with the Netflix disc du jour, Shock Corridor. Couldn't finish watching it. Hilariously bad tripe if you're in the mood to laugh at some pretentious old swill.

jamesn65

Registered
Reaction score
Website
nickjamesbooks.com
127 Hours - I thought it lived up to the hype. I wasn't totally gung-ho about seeing it at first, but the ending was great
Before that, True Grit, which I loved.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Horse Boy. And yes, I cried.

PercyBlok

Take it or leave it
Registered
Reaction score
Florida (Tampa area), but it still doesn't seem to
Arn-The Kinght Templar

It's available on Netflix streaming and is well worth the time. A fantastic Swedish production about the Knight Templar warrior that later returned to unite Sweden and become king. It's based on the novel trilogy by Jan Guillou. I admit it seems a bit long because it tries to get a big story into one production, but the acting, cinematography, story and battle scenes are fantastic. No computer crap, real actors riding horses hacking and slashing. I love Ridley Scott, but Arn should have been made instead of Kingdom of Heaven.

mario_c

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
True Grit. This is amazing stuff, and Jeff Bridges is a hilarious towering Ruben "Rooster" Cogburn. The lead teenaged girl is the actual star, and she's awesome too. This may be the Coen Brothers' most audience friendly movie in years, even as it arrives at their usual WTF climax.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
Toy Story 3. Kids got it for Christmas. Really sweet, I teared up.

Dear John. Not bad. Reminded me of when my husband and I got married, and he deployed, it was around the same time in the movie. The twist at the end was surprising though.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead.

Thought it was fantastic -- even the DH laughed himself silly at points.A few hours before that, I watched Moon for the second time. Great, great flick.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Boys Are Back - I enjoyed it.

SlightlyEpic

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Toy Story 3 - hadn't seen it yet and LOVED it.

Watched Toy Story 3 last week with the kids, and agree... Loved it!

Saw Day and Knight last night and was really surprised that I loved it too.
Best Tom Cruise has been since Top Gun, and certainly since jumping up and down on Oprah's couch.

Last edited:

James McElroy

AXEL
Registered
Reaction score
Website
terectio.com
Little Fockers. It was funny, but probably the least family friendly of the series. I've seen it twice, of course that is because I work at the theater and get free movies. Lol. Next movie will probably be Season of the Witch or Green Hornet.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Julia and Julie, very good

SirOtter

Il Cavaliere Marino
Registered
Reaction score
Saw Black Swan last night. There were many things I liked about it - the subjective camera (although that took some warming up to), and the little hints early on things were not exactly as they seemed that gradually drew you into Nina's state of mind. The one thing I couldn't buy was (Spoiler Alert - highlight the following so I can give away the whole plot. Or don't, which would be better)

There is no way on God's green earth to dance two acts as she did, with that level of precision and grace, with a big gaping hole in her abdomen. I've had an appendectomy, and I can state based on that experience that the wound she (apparently - or did it really happen?) effectively disconnects the upper body from the lower in terms of vigorous activity. It's not even a matter of going on adrenalin. It's like cutting a bowstring. The bow simply will not perform its function, nor would a human body, regardless of adrenalin rush or training or any other consideration, IMHO and based on my experience. Never mind the wound would bleed enough that the back row would wonder why the whole middle of her costume was bright red.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cronos. I don't quite know what to make of it. It was an odd little film to be sure.