• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Writers House

VZW

Registered
Reaction score
PB submitted to Brianne Johnson 11/16
E-ject 12/21

Onward!

Bibliophile

Registered
Reaction score
I've been reading through this forum for a while, I happened to stumble across this site by accident. Its been very enlightening, I'm also in the process of querying agent Robin Rue of writers house. I sent out my query letter about a month ago, maybe a little more, and received a reply and a request for a full manuscript from her assistant, Beth Miller, on the 20th of this month. I was so surpised! I had all but forgotten about it. A few months ago I sent out a query to Jodi Reamer, but received a reply from her assistant saying that she wasn't currently taking on any new clients. I can understand that, from what I've read, she seems to be very popular. I'm just happy that I received a request for a full, especially so close to the holidays. I expect the reply to take a while, and I'm perfectly fine with waiting. Agents are people too, and they have lives just like everyone else. I am excited though, and trying not to get my hopes up. :)

Bibliophile

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! I'll be sure to keep you updated. I'm almost positive that I'll get rejected, this is only the second query letter that I've sent out and I feel as though I haven't been denied enough times to have earned anything positive lol. But I can still hope. :)

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I know the info is scarce, since she's new, but Kristy (Ty) King should be at the top of anyone's list. I've worked with her via Steve, and met her at his party last year, and she's incredibly nice, hard working, and everything you'd want in an agent.

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
No clue, but it's fair to assume she does children's/YA based on who she's worked with.

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
I know the info is scarce, since she's new, but Kristy (Ty) King should be at the top of anyone's list. I've worked with her via Steve, and met her at his party last year, and she's incredibly nice, hard working, and everything you'd want in an agent.

Agreed! I haven't really gotten to talk to her, but I assume she helped out on my editorial letter, which was super awesome.

Speaking of which, I'm almost done with my R&R. Terror has set in.

YAreaderwriter

The voice of the sea
Registered
Reaction score
Dan Lazar and Susan Ginsburg

I hope this is the right place for this post!

I was wondering of any one has submitted to either of these agents at Writers House?

If so, what kind of rejection did you get from Dan? Was it form or personal? I had received one from his assistant after a day, because it didn't fit his list. Which I found out is true after the fact, on one website it said he accepts YA but I found after on another that he doesn't accept romance. I was just wondering if my ms really didn't fit his list or he was trying to give me a nice rejection.

Also, could anyone advise me of the response times for Susan? On query tracker she had numbers similar to Jodi! Which was very different from her web page on WH. Any expierences with her? Thanks for your help!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
There is a very impressive Writers House thread in BR&BC, which I'm sure the right mod will move this to in time.

"It doesn't fit my list" is a basic form rejection, though. Don't read too much into it.

Wisteria Vine

Registered
Reaction score
A couple of years ago, I got a very personalized rejection from Dan - only because I used one of his author's as a reference. I queried him without dropping that name on another project last week and got the same "doesn't fit my list" rejection from his assistant.

YAreaderwriter

The voice of the sea
Registered
Reaction score
A couple of years ago, I got a very personalized rejection from Dan - only because I used one of his author's as a reference. I queried him without dropping that name on another project last week and got the same "doesn't fit my list" rejection from his assistant.

That's what I thought. Thanks. Did you think it didn't for his list?

Wisteria Vine

Registered
Reaction score
I actually thought it was a good fit for his list, given what my friend said he told HER he was looking for; it was also in line with some of his other authors. For whatever reason, it wasn't his cup of tea - no idea why. Maybe my query wasn't written well enough to intrigue him, or maybe the story wasn't compelling. ::shrug::

Onto the next!

sknipper

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stephanieknipper.blogspot.com
YAreaderwriter,

Dan is my agent. He is super nice and very fast at responding (his assistant sends out most of his rejections.) To the best of my knowledge, he doesn't rep romance so this might have been a form response. :p

I hope this helps and good luck to you!

YAreaderwriter

The voice of the sea
Registered
Reaction score
Yes it does, thanks Stephanie! You wouldnt by chance knows the response times for Susan do you? Did you submit to anyone before Dan?

YAreaderwriter

The voice of the sea
Registered
Reaction score
I actually thought it was a good fit for his list, given what my friend said he told HER he was looking for; it was also in line with some of his other authors. For whatever reason, it wasn't his cup of tea - no idea why. Maybe my query wasn't written well enough to intrigue him, or maybe the story wasn't compelling. ::shrug::

Onto the next!

Aw :( I don't think my query was pretty hot either actually it was atrocious! I was a little rusty...Lol

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
I also got a "not right for my list" reject from Dan's assistant on my latest book. Seems to be his standard rejection. I had queried him on a previous book which he requested the full. He ultimately rejected the full, and personalized it with reasons why it wasn't right for him. The best kind of rejection!

As for Susan G., early last year she responded to my query in 3 weeks.

GLaDOScore

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with your revision, Bekstah! I want to read your book!

And Anna, congrats again! You're getting lots of good requests--I want to read your book, too. :)

I sent a query to Brianne Johnson on 12/12, got a partial request on 12/13, and sent the partial on 12/14. Anyone have an idea about her response times? I know she likes Roald Dahl (yay!), but that's about all I've found...

sknipper

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stephanieknipper.blogspot.com
Yes it does, thanks Stephanie! You wouldnt by chance knows the response times for Susan do you? Did you submit to anyone before Dan?

I'm sorry, I don't know her response times. Dan was the only agent I queried at Writers House. He was the one who seemed to represent the kind of books I write.

All in all I queried 16 agents and Dan was the 4th agent I queried.

I hope this helps! You'll get there, just keep putting your work out there.