Agents reading on Kindles

JennAlbin

Registered
Reaction score
One of my betas mentioned that her kindle didn't show all my punctuation (missing apostrophes, commas, periods) that are there in the original document. She said she's noticed this with several e-books and assumed it's an unresolved quirk with the device. But since I have fulls out, I'm sweating bullets over it. Is this a known issue amongst agents? Thank you!

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I would assume if it happened to you, it would be a universal problem with reading any MSs on kindle. What WP did you use and what format did you send it in?

Whimsigirl

wishin' and hopin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elizabethlimbooks.com
I definitely had this problem when I was querying agents--a few wrote back to me about missing lines and strange indenting and one went so far as to tell me that the manuscript wasn't formatted properly. It caused a good deal of angst for me at the time, though I'm not sure if it'd be wise to put an 'e-reader disclaimer' at the end of your query.

One thing you can do if you know that the agent is going to read it on his or her e-reader is to send an .rtf copy, and to take further precautions on the 'show formatting' in your Word document (if you're using word) and just triple-check everything.

Good luck!

Hillgate

On location
Registered
Reaction score
Only way of guaranteeing something reads well on Kindle is to use HTML: PDFs downloaded onto a Kindle look a bit odd to me, and screenplays are a nightmare as PDFs on a Kindle because they are so small and enlarging the page means you have to scroll left and right as well as up and down to read one page which gets tiresome.