STEAM SALE 2010!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dommo

On Mac's double secret probation.
Registered
Reaction score
Folks, it's that time of the year, when steam decides to force at gunpoint to buy shit. Everything is on sale, and there are some megapacks of like 50 games on sale for like 80 dollars. It's nuts. Check it out.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I think I missed a day of sales, oh dear.

Oh well, just got Witcher: Enhanced Director Cut for $5.

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
Paradox had a huge sale, the whole pack worth around 400 euros on sale for 30...

Great sales, but not as good as last year IMHO.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I tried buying games from Steam (more for my sis) but they declined my card telling me I didn't have the right address. :Huh:
Dunno what's up, it's the same address I use to purchase stuff from Amazon and Threadless and they've never given me any hassle.

Fulk

Occasional Contributer
Registered
Reaction score
I've gotten some good deals during this sale. I managed to nab Bad Company 2 for $7, and The Witcher for $5. I bought a couple indie packs, the Medieval 2 TW set, King's Bounty, the Deus Ex pack, and the Stronghold pack. And there's still more yet I'd like to see on sale (Civ V and World in Conflict, I'm looking at you).

sadron

Writing Dark Fantasy
Registered
Reaction score
I also got on Steam and got Amnesia: the Dark Descent (a gift from brother), Killing Floors and Star Wars Knights of the Republic.

The sales are insane! :D Pm me if you want add me as friend over Steam.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
And there's still more yet I'd like to see on sale (Civ V and World in Conflict, I'm looking at you).
Civ V is on sale today.

ETA: I've bought the X Superbox pack and the 1C pack. Retro space RPGs, how i love thee.

Last edited:

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Civ V requirements.

I don't trust Systemrequirementslab too much in this case, usually I do, but this report's kind of whacky, so I wanna check it.

I was running it for Civ V.
It tells me I meet min, but not recommended, that doesn't really surprise me. So I check the rec spec.

-SRL says I have 3 GB RAM, my PC specs disagree, and I've never altered this PC (it's a laptop) so I think I'll trust my PC in this case, even if it just a case of 3.X falling on the high side.
-OS is good.
-It says my video card is NOT good enough, I have a GeForce GT 130M...yet I pass all the recommended features of V RAM, Hardware T&L, and Pixel and Vertex Shader version...don't know what to think about that.
-Sound and free disk space are good.
-I believe it's correct about my CPU, it recommends I have a 1.8 Ghz Quad, I only have a 2.66 Ghz Duo, so that's about 2 Ghz difference total. Still, I think it'd be acceptable for medium settings, which would probably still look pretty good.

Can anyone who's played Civ V, or has more experience with game/system requirements offer any insight to if you think I can play it?

P.S. I decided to go with basic and buy the Babylon and Dual civ pack, not all that interested in the other stuff that comes with DD, or the map packs.

Lhun

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
-SRL says I have 3 GB RAM, my PC specs disagree, and I've never altered this PC (it's a laptop) so I think I'll trust my PC in this case, even if it just a case of 3.X falling on the high side.
What are the hardware specs and the OS? On a 32bit OS you have a theoretical maximum of 4Gig ram, a practical of ~3.5
-It says my video card is NOT good enough, I have a GeForce GT 130M...yet I pass all the recommended features of V RAM, Hardware T&L, and Pixel and Vertex Shader version...don't know what to think about that.
It's a mobile version, i.e. a Laptop card. And laptop cards SUCK. It has all the advanced features because it's based on the 9xxx series, but it's optimized for low power consumption and low heat output, meaning it's got a performance like the 9600 or 9500. In other words, not a gaming card.

Addendum: For comparison, the x600 and x500 cards, like the laptop cards are comparable in performance to a x800 GT card of one earlier generation, which are decent gaming cards, and much worse than a x800 GTX of one earlier generation. The only advantage is that they have all the features of the newer generation. For example a 8500 is fully DX10 capable while a much faster 7900 GTX isn't.

Similarly, laptop processors SUCK. Laptops are a really bad choice if the main use of the machine is for gaming. If it's not, one just has to live with only playing older games (old defined by relative age of the laptop of course) and the occasional not resource-hog.
The stated system requirements for Civ 5 are pretty low though, so if you turn the graphics settings all the way down, it should work.

-I believe it's correct about my CPU, it recommends I have a 1.8 Ghz Quad, I only have a 2.66 Ghz Duo, so that's about 2 Ghz difference total. Still, I think it'd be acceptable for medium settings, which would probably still look pretty good.
Doesn't really work like that. Depending on the way the game handles multithreading (if it does) your CPU might even be faster. Civ V probably is optimized to use more than 2 cores, so it might be a little slow. What's your exact processor type?
Graphics setting have virtually no influence on processor load, if your processor is slow, you should stick to smaller maps.
Can anyone who's played Civ V, or has more experience with game/system requirements offer any insight to if you think I can play it?
Haven't played it yet, waiting for at least the first expansion, but based on your system specs and the stated requirements for the game, you should be able to play it, if at medium-low settings.

Last edited:

Dommo

On Mac's double secret probation.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't like Civ V compared to Civ IV. It's buggy, and the game just doesn't "feel" right. That's not to say it's bad(I like the hex grid system), but I don't think it's a real improvement over the previous games in the series.

Fulk

Occasional Contributer
Registered
Reaction score
I don't like Civ V compared to Civ IV. It's buggy, and the game just doesn't "feel" right. That's not to say it's bad(I like the hex grid system), but I don't think it's a real improvement over the previous games in the series.

The thing about this is, Civilization IV was also horrendously buggy and performed terribly during its initial release, as far as I remember it. Through several patches and the expansions, the quality of the game drastically improved. I have a feeling Civ V will be similar.

That said, I didn't end up getting Civ V during this sale. I had a limited budget, and while I knew I was hoping for too much, I was hoping the game would have been a teensy bit cheaper during the sale. I think I'll wait on it until Steam's spring or summer sales. As it stands, I don't have a computer that can run it anyways (or Bad Company 2 for that matter), so I'm not missing out yet.

On an unrelated note, AWers can feel free to PM me for my Steam ID as well!

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
I got Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Battlefield Bad Company 2 and one of my favourites, Mount & Blade Warband.

All for half price, or in the case of Battlefield, I got it for 66% off.

Great deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.