Not open for further replies.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Just my 2c, but you might try putting your eggs in more than one basket. So keep trying with the series but perhaps put your further-honed skills to work on some separate single titles?

Last edited:

Niniva

Life is just a bowl of cherries...
Registered
Reaction score
Fantasy has a young adult feel in my mind; is there a connection there that you could use? I remember serial novels fondly as a part of my youth, and they were fantasies.

I'm just muddling through right now. I decided that I would have a better chance of selling a novel if I created a highly marketable non-fiction book. I don't know about the wisdom of this, but I managed to interest a local publisher. *crosses fingers* We'll see.

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. You've met some incredible challenges, and dealt with them all extremely well, by the sounds of it. However, we all have to re-charge our batteries at times and maybe this is what you need to do. There's some really good advice on here already so I can't add much except to say take a deep breath and some mental time-out, get recharged the way you know how to then go for it! You'll get tons of support on here too.
Look forward to hearing good news soon!

AmusingMuse

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.awritersconnection.com
I will confess... I read this thread at least a dozen times, sat in shock at so much encouragement. The last time I read it, I cried a little... just a little. But if you repeat this, I'll deny it all.

I think sometimes we forget as writers that we are not alone in the universe and there are others who scribble potential book titles on scraps of paper, type and argue with a computer screen while pouring out their emotions and baring their souls... do the idiot dance when an idea is there but they just can't grasp the full flow of it... run around in their underwear when halfway from the shower and an idea hits them, forcing them to trip over the dog while racing to the computer to type it out before old age claims another thought to the land of lost and never found again... wait... ok moving on...

Thank you all so much for all the kind words and wow, who would have thought so many nice folks in one location could be possible. I am very interested in the idea of trying to fly my first novel of the fantasy series as a solo act first and then go from there. Thanks again everyone, and I will post more and I look forward to getting to know you all. All the best,

Amusing Muse
(most days)

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
there are others who scribble potential book titles on scraps of paper, type and argue with a computer screen while pouring out their emotions and baring their souls... do the idiot dance when an idea is there but they just can't grasp the full flow of it... run around in their underwear when halfway from the shower and an idea hits them, forcing them to trip over the dog while racing to the computer to type it out before old age claims another thought to the land of lost and never found again... wait... ok moving on...

I think you just described my life

My boss even makes sure they have plenty of scrap paper by where I work so if its slow I can make notes. There's nothing like the adrenalin of thing 'ok, I have ten seconds till that customer gets here to write the 200 words that just popped into my head or you know damn well you'll lose it.'

except extreme roller coasters. That's close. Funny how the muse turns up when you're doing something else.

KCathy

Writer when I grow up
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catherinebusinelle.com
I can't improve on what Lauri B said. Congratulations on what you've accomplished (800 copies?--DANG!) and on just hanging in there as long as you have. This is going to make such a good story when you get published! Don't, don't, don't give up.

VoltShadow

Internet Ninja of 1337
Registered
Reaction score
Premium life experience in the dark and in the light. I must say, I'm impressed madam Muse. 800 self published copies, that too is one devil of a feat. If you can make it in that market, you easily should be able to make it in an agented/edited world. Most genius like JK is about 10% Skill, 14% Dedication, 6% of something random, and then an easy 70% plus some extra luck for good measure. Does it add up to over a hundred percent? Yes but that's aside from the point. Time makes all things possible, and your time is coming.
Good luck my dear and welcome to the forums.
- Your (Generally) Friendly Neighborhood VoltShadow

Chrisla

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You've received good advice. The only thing I can add is this: Remember that all the things that life throws at us increases our knowledge, our experience, and our compassion for others. That always adds depth to whatever we write.

I wish you well as you forge forward. You obviously are a strong woman; I hope you are writing about strong women. There are not enough stories about them. Tough or hard chicks, yes, but not strong women.

Jackfishwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Wandering between Mexico and the Arctic Circle
Website
www.myspace.com
AmusingMuse, i really enjoyed reading your post. Not because I enjoyed hearing your anguish, but because it was well-written, entertaining, and hey, I can relate to a few things you said. (perhaps you should write about your own life and overcoming struggle??)

Perhaps this will make you feel a little better:
I was at a writer's fair over the weekend selling my (university press published) book and this old guy was set up beside me selling his self-published book. The old guy out-sold me 3-1!!! And his was cowboy poetry!

anyway, hang in there. I truly believe that sooooooooo much of the publishing world has to do with luck, and soooooo many of us just have bad luck. But sooner or later, everyone wins a little something, even if it's just out of the gumball machine.

J C Coy

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW and don't give up. This is a wonderful place. Grab a cup of coffee and stick around.

Michael Parks

In the moment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelparks.info
You're close, AM. You've done beautiful work with survival for you and your family, and kept the flame of love for writing alive. You're close. Believe it.

Full court press. Be creative. Be instinctual. Extend. Don't stop.

BarbaraKE

Registered
Reaction score
AmusingMuse - I just wanted to add my welcome to the others you've already received. Your determination and fortitude are incredible. I salute you!!

I think the advice you've received about a twelve-book series vs. a stand-alone novel is good. Publishers/Agents will be much more interested in a stand-alone ('with series potential') than a series. Of course, once you sell the stand-alone and it's a success, you'll be way ahead of the game when your agent asks if you can make it into a series.

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
Oh-my-god. I cannot believe that one person can undergo so much trouble. I really wish your daughter didn't leave you after all the trouble you went to over the past 18 years.

I furthermore am astonished that you filed a case against a lawyer! Wow its like a tele serial.

Congratulations on you success so far. You really have succeeded in life by managing all this so well. Most people would utterly break down in the circumstances.

I heavily recommend revising the books and cutting them down. You might want to make Book 1 stand alone and pass it to the agent. Don't tell them its a 12 book series. Just say that you've written some more but it is very important that the first book appears stand alone.

Good luck. Be sure to post any successes.

Susan Lanigan

Registered
Reaction score
AmusingMuse, I wish you the very best of luck with this. Welcome.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I think sometimes we forget as writers that we are not alone in the universe and there are others who scribble potential book titles on scraps of paper, type and argue with a computer screen while pouring out their emotions and baring their souls... do the idiot dance when an idea is there but they just can't grasp the full flow of it... run around in their underwear when halfway from the shower and an idea hits them, forcing them to trip over the dog while racing to the computer to type it out before old age claims another thought to the land of lost and never found again... wait... ok moving on...

Wait! When did we meet? I don't remember baring my soul to you, but must have done so...

Oh, wait. I have cats, not a dog. Whew! For a minute there I thought you'd installed a camera in my home. :D

I can't think of anything to add to what's already been said, except to say that your continued output seems to indicate that at some point, you'll achieve your goal of being published. Don't give up as long as you have a story to tell!

AmusingMuse

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thank you again for all the encouragement. Last night, I sat down with my first novel of my fantasy series and read it. I am more and more thinking about submitting it as a stand-alone. Of course, the other option is to self-publish again...

So I suppose I should start looking for agents/publishers in the fantasy genre. What if I've already pitched my series to them and they sent me a resounding "no thanks", should I resubmit my first book only and try to sell it as a stand-alone to them, change all names to protect the innocents? Just the thought of starting over again with submissions...

But I do appreciate all the support. Thanks again.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
AmusingMuse, welcome to AW! It's a wonderful place.

I echo the idea of sending stand-alone queries, rather than a series. I have a friend who has a nice 6-book deal for a series - but only after her first 3 titles sold well. Publishers like to see that first one go out with a chance of return before investing in a series which may not work out for them financially.

And bravo to you for living life so fully - ever experience, every trial, every heartache, every delight, is grist for the writer's mill.

Jimmyboy1

Banned
Reaction score
Muse,

This small bit of info from another (yet) unpublished writer might help:

After about 200 queries to agents, I got approx. ten that asked for a sample or synopsis. After several months I tried something new: I queried publishers.

I didn't think I could do that, but I found all the best info on Predators and Editors. ONly the biggest pubs request agents-only submissions.

Sixty queries to pubs left me with ten requests for partials and even full mss! And most came within a day, not four months. One pub actually phoned me within 30 minutes of my email query, asking that I email her all three of my full mss. I kid you not.

My guess is that God is saving something extra special for you. Be ready!

Jim

AmusingMuse

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hello Jim,

Yes, I've found wonderful suggestions here. I am in the process of revamping my first novel to propose it as a stand-alone. Then, I'll go from there. It's strange the one genre I truly wish to write in is giving me so much grief and the one I never pictured writing in is doing so well. Go figure huh!

Sixty... dear God man! I give you gold Kudos for your determination.

And yes, I'm so very aware of God having plans for me... just wish he'd not leave it so difficult in opening the packages he keeps tossing my way...

I am taking all this advice in stride and using most of it. Thanks again for yours.

AmusingMuse

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oh-my-god. I cannot believe that one person can undergo so much trouble. I really wish your daughter didn't leave you after all the trouble you went to over the past 18 years.

I furthermore am astonished that you filed a case against a lawyer! Wow its like a tele serial.

Congratulations on you success so far. You really have succeeded in life by managing all this so well. Most people would utterly break down in the circumstances.

I heavily recommend revising the books and cutting them down. You might want to make Book 1 stand alone and pass it to the agent. Don't tell them its a 12 book series. Just say that you've written some more but it is very important that the first book appears stand alone.

Good luck. Be sure to post any successes.

Thank you for your kind words. Yes, we too wish she hadn't abandoned her family and all for a whim. But, this is something she has to do for herself. Her little sister will miss her company the most. I will simply miss her heart and soul.

AmusingMuse

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I can't think of anything to add to what's already been said, except to say that your continued output seems to indicate that at some point, you'll achieve your goal of being published. Don't give up as long as you have a story to tell!

Such positive words. As for story-telling, I have never been short on that factor. I have closets full of those.

AmusingMuse

Registered
Reaction score
Website
AmusingMuse - I just wanted to add my welcome to the others you've already received. Your determination and fortitude are incredible. I salute you!!

Thank you Barb, but for every battle faced, the captain is never alone. I have had a lot of support from family and especially my mom, who is my muse.

Status
Not open for further replies.