Only White Male Democrats Need Apply

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I actually picked this story up while reading a bit about Paula Deen's YouTube apology. (Scroll down about a third of the page to find this blurb.) Following that story is a short blurb noting that the Georgia Democratic party will only be accepting white male applicants for the position of chairman this time around. It's actually a perverse result of the anti-discriminatory elements of their charter.

First, the Charter requires that the Chair and Vice-Chair be opposite genders. Since the Vice-Chair is female and mid-term, only males are eligible for the Chair position.

Secondly, the Charter requires that any racial group that represents 20% or more of registered voters must be represented by an officer. Since the outgoing Chair was the only white on the board and no other officers are being replaced, only whites are eligible for the Chair position.

Therefore, only White Male Democrats need apply.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Huh.

Well, I'm not picky. I'll send 'em my resume.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I forget, I think it was 2002 when I voted and had to pick my party as Democrat or Republican (maybe it was a primary) and the voter rolls and Newt Gingrich who robocalled me in 2008) have all thought of me as a Republican ever since. I wonder if I could get that label erased...Wait, this is the GEORGIA Democratic Party? I'm screwed, I'm registered as a Republican in Georgia, and no doubt they have both the Democratic and Republican members list.

Whatever happened to choosing "the best qualified person"?
Quotas.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Considering that the serving two-term President of the United States is a BLACK male Democrat, and that the presumptive front-runner for the Democratic nomination for President in 2016 is a white FEMALE Democrat, and that the failed 2012 Presidential and Vice-Presidential nominees for the Republican Party were two of the most clichéd WHITE MALE candidates imaginable, I have to ask what the point of this thread is.

Other than the customary flame-baiting, of course.

caw

Last edited:

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Gee, bb, I thought it was an interesting case of unintended consequences, and perhaps worth a laugh or two. I'm kinda wondering what the point of reviewing the presidential candidate list was, when this is a story about Georgia Democrats.

Post your phone number so I can clear my next thread idea with you before I post it, mkay?

ETA: Oh, I see, you thought this was partisan, and I was picking on the Dems. If you haven't figured out I hold both parties in equal contempt by now, you're not paying attention.

ETA2: It woulda been an even funnier thread if it had been the California Republican party in this situation, but I've gotta say, I bet that would have turned into a big national political football, rather than an "in other news" blurb in a local column.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Whatever happened to choosing "the best qualified person"?

I think that's kind of the point of the story, and the thread: An example of the occasional unintended consequence of attempts at diversity.

Making more of it than that, however, is an example of having more interest in flames than light.

MOD NOTE:
And this would be an excellent opportunity for some folks to knock it off.

Last edited:

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
The spectrum between a Hobbesian state of nature and complete regulation of everything (e.g. North Korea) is wide. We all pick our spot on the spectrum where we think the balance is best. But yes, every choice has consequences.

Another example, from the other side of the political aisle, would be the obsession with school test results we've been talking about in another thread and what it's doing to the public schools. Unintended consequences. But some are still happy with the result.

calieber

Couth barbarian
Registered
Reaction score
This is why, if quotas must be imposed, they should be imposed on the lowest tiers, not the highest.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Funny because I see it is great evidence that the diversity initiative worked. Do you think they would be running short of white men if they hadn't approached it this way?

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Woah, Don, I was just riffing off Bartholomew's resume comment, seeing if I could get myself qualified for the job - but no, I'm on their Do Not Hire list, just as local, state and national Republican parties have THEIR Do Not Hire list generally known as "registered Democrats."

Looks like I'll never get a job as a comedian either - here I am explaining my jokes..

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Woah, Don, I was just riffing off Bartholomew's resume comment, seeing if I could get myself qualified for the job - but no, I'm on their Do Not Hire list, just as local, state and national Republican parties have THEIR Do Not Hire list generally known as "registered Democrats."

Looks like I'll never get a job as a comedian either - here I am explaining my jokes..

I think he meant the 'caw' guy when he said bb.

I can't decide whether or not this bothers me. People like to see their demographic represented, and for good reason.

Mara

Clever User Title
Registered
Reaction score
Funny because I see it is great evidence that the diversity initiative worked. Do you think they would be running short of white men if they hadn't approached it this way?

I agree. The whole point of affirmative action and quotas is because some places were refusing to choose the best-qualified person if they weren't white men. There have always been race quotas, it's just that before the more recent ones, the quota was "everyone must be a white guy."