• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Can I use it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikeman4444

The snozberrys taste lke snozberrys
Registered
Reaction score
So my girlfriend said something really funny the other day, and I want to use it as a line in my book. Is this allowed? Obviously she is my gf, so it's not a huge deal. She'll read it and think it's the greatest thing ever I used something she said in the book. But in general, is it ok to use people's word for word lines in your book without their permission? I'm saying like a single sentence said in conversation, not entire conversations or anything like that. Just a few words. If it was a complete stranger, I probably wouldn't use it verbatim, but could I?

Asha Leu

Registered
Reaction score
You'll probably have to ask her about that. ;)

In all seriousness, I'm having serious trouble imagining a situation where a casual acquaintance or stranger would, upon reading your book, A) recognize that random statement they presumably made years before the book was eventually published, B) be angered enough to pursue legal action over it, and C) be capable of proving your wrongdoing in a court of law without it being thrown out as the mother of all frivolous lawsuits.

IANAL, so take this with the appropriate grain of salt, but I don't think random utterances are protected by copyright. I certainly hope not, otherwise there are a whole lot of people in my life who have grounds to sue me.

I mean, if its someone you know well and want to maintain a good relationship with, its probably polite to just ask permission, at least if its anything particularly memorable or creative. But if your poaching lines from, say, a conversation you overheard random strangers having on the bus, I can't imagine any consequences, legal or otherwise, arising from that, unless they happened to be reciting their doctoral thesis or social security number at the time.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You'll never write anything if trivia like this bothers you.

Craig McNeil

Sitting in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CraigMcNeil.com
I have a suspicion that many top writers write about conversations they've had or overheard. Also most comedians will make a story about conversations - Billy Connolly, for example, is a master of this.

And I know for a fact that Ian Rankin has done this at least once!

In other words, use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.