The Secret World

Status
Not open for further replies.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I don't believe it's Funcom's fault. This is the work of EA's greed. Instead of including the gear in the game, like a quest reward or something, they figure you'll be lazy/desperate and purchase it.

I still want to like this game because it looks neat, and I've been wanting to play an RPG that isn't high fantasy, but I'm disappointed in EA's money grubbing tactics.

Mharvey

Liker Of Happy Things
Registered
Reaction score
I don't believe it's Funcom's fault. This is the work of EA's greed. Instead of including the gear in the game, like a quest reward or something, they figure you'll be lazy/desperate and purchase it.

I still want to like this game because it looks neat, and I've been wanting to play an RPG that isn't high fantasy, but I'm disappointed in EA's money grubbing tactics.

AH, of course... now this makes total sense. I wasn't aware EA and Funcom had partnered up or something.

I actually made a YouTube clip that was featured on the Consumerist that was basically taken from a stockholder's meeting by EA CEO John Riccitiello, in which he talks about how effective microtransactions are at getting money from gamers.

*sigh*

Gaming industry. What's happening to you?

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Monthly Subscription + Big Cash Shop + Items that give your character a mechanical advantage in-game = Recipe for Disaster.
Well there's still no evidence of a "big cash shop" or that the items offered in the packages will offer any significant advantage. Even if they did, they may be the only example of their kind.

AH, of course... now this makes total sense. I wasn't aware EA and Funcom had partnered up or something.
They haven't AFAIK.
Funcom is a totally independent company.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I . . . I don't think I can buy it.
I promised that EA wouldn't get another cent from me until it changed . . . *whimper*
Now it won't even matter whether The Secret World is good or not.

contrariwise

The hours passing
Registered
Reaction score
What has EA done that pissed everyone off?

Mharvey

Liker Of Happy Things
Registered
Reaction score
What has EA done that pissed everyone off?

EA has gotten a bad rep lately for, well, generally putting profits over quality... IE: Being a company. The problem is, how flagrantly they do it. DLCs, Microtransactions.

Then you got the CEO basically rubbing his hands together, saying stuff like this to his shareholders:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR6-u8OIJTE

I don't personally hate EA, but - well - lately there's been a real drought of quality games. I hated Kingdoms of Amalur. Apparently everyone hates the ME3 ending. I didn't even bother getting the game. SWTOR was so mediocre that it made me cry. It just seems they've lost touch with what makes a game great... if they ever had it. I personally can't remember the last EA game I thought was great. ME2, maybe? Though Bioware may have still be independent then.

contrariwise

The hours passing
Registered
Reaction score
Ouch. Nice background music. That does seem pretty evil.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
It's not even just the recent stuff, that was just what pushed me over the edge, but they've been pulling crap for years.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
They're being a corporation and trying to maximize profits. All well and good. All corps do.

However, what his talk at the shareholder's meeting told me is that they intend to deliberately withhold content and gameplay from a title. They'll keep it hostage. When he says 'we're not gouging anyone' that's incorrect. I'm paying for a full game, but getting an interactive storefront. Charging even one more penny for what should be a full title is extremely unethical.

If EA has something to do with this title, I'm out. It looks interesting, but I don't care to get invested and then pay to reload my clip in the middle of a boss fight.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Got into the beta, it opens again this Tuesday.

I'll leave what impressions I can here.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
So, impressions after about 30 minutes of play:
The character customization doesn't seem to be implemented yet, and the initial clothing options are limited, but that's fine because there seems to be a good variety of clothing available shortly after start, although it seems to require a good bit of in-game cash.

The opening animations seemed rather jerky, but that might be a fault on my end--I'm running a 2009 multimedia laptop, not even a gaming laptop. At the lowest settings I can keep it going smooth for the most part, although it's not really a smooth experience. Even on the lowest settings though it looks pretty good. I should be back on my desktop by next week though, and that thing is a powerhouse, so it should be able to handle the game much better.

The games does have some long load times, at least initially. Like GW the load times seem to become better after the first time.

The aesthetic and environments seems to be very well done and detailed. The character models, at least for NPCs, look quite realistic and varied.

Some subtitles are missing, even in the beginning scenes, which is a bit annoying, but hopefully those will be fixed eventually.

Now for the two big points: questing and combat.
So far I've only had to actually accept a single quest, and after that it's just been updating itself as I move through the game. Not completely immersive, but better than having to stop and talk to someone for every stage.

Combat is a definite improvement over the traditional form. Not having played TERA or GW2, I'm not sure how it compares.
Some abilities are true-action, you can use them at your own discretion regardless of targets or targeting, such as the shotgun's basic attack. Other abilities still require targeting, but so far I haven't had to do much in the way of targeting, the system takes care of a lot on its own.
Some attacks can be dodged, but as far as I can tell, the game lacks any sort of dodge feature, which leaves strafing as the main form of dodge. That on its own isn't too bad, but it means you need to have some quick fingers to dance between moving and attacking, which is skill-based in a sense I guess.
So from what I've heard of GW and TERA, TSW isn't as advanced in terms of true combat, but it's definitely better than the old model of sitting in place, which in TSW will get you killed.
The AI is actually fairly intelligent, even low-level mobs know enough to surround their enemy (you), which requires the player to keep moving to keep them in front of in the combat tutorial so that you can keeps the hordes of enemies in your shotgun's area of damage. There was a point in the tutorial where a group of enemies had spread out across a room, which made the shotgun rather inefficient. Just having to kill them one a time nearly resulted in my own death because they were all flinging bolts of filth at me--painful things. Was down to 30 of my 1500 HP before the last went down.

contrariwise

The hours passing
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting. It sounds like it's more of an action game than an RPG.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting. It sounds like it's more of an action game than an RPG.
In a way, but a lot of MMOs seem to be moving in that direction--they don't use statistics to represent things like dodge or crit, etc anymore, instead the player just has to dodge on their own. More skill, less numbers.
The traditional RPG system used in video games (like WoW) was there because of the limits of technology, but as TERA and GW2 show, those limits are breaking down.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Doesn't sound too bad, but I'll wait for the more in-depth review. Still don't know if I want it or not. *grumbles* Stupid EA.

btw, how did you get into the beta? I signed up in the hopes of getting in.

contrariwise

The hours passing
Registered
Reaction score
btw, how did you get into the beta? I signed up in the hopes of getting in.
Wow, really? I thought they said that everyone who pre-orders gets beta access. I'm glad I didn't pre-order now, since that was the only reason I was going to.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't pre-order, I signed up for beta access . . . yeesh, possibly years ago. It was way back when they first opened up beta applications.

contrariwise

The hours passing
Registered
Reaction score
Oh I see. Everyone I know signed up for beta access back then and no one ever heard anything, so I assumed that was just smoke and mirrors. I thought the only way to get in was with a pre-order.

Mharvey

Liker Of Happy Things
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, good thoughts LOG.

I'm gonna approach this the same way I have TERA. Three months in, people are still talking about it and the game is growing rather than dying, I'll put my chips on the table. Otherwise, I'll assume "close enough to par", in which point I know I'll play about a month, two at most, then quit... having felt the majority of the time wasted.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I gotta say, the investigative missions can be really fun.
The first notable one most players will probably meet is in Kingsmouth.
The first stage is pretty easy, but the 2nd and 3rd tiers have both required some internet browsing and puzzle-solving brain-muscles.
When I completed tier 3 (took me like, 15 minutes to figure out a certain part) I just got such a rush from being able to figure it out on my own.
I'd explain just how awesome I am, but that would spoil the game for anyone else. :p

The rush I got from working on this single mission is already better than any feeling I ever got defeating raid bosses, although it does lack replayability . . .

Mharvey

Liker Of Happy Things
Registered
Reaction score
I got to join in on beta weekend #4 and did a wee review of it on my blog. Have to say it's some of the most fun I've had on an MMO.

Interesting read. I think I'm still going to hold fast to my "3 months and see" approach. It worked very well with TERA - I couldn't even stomach an hour of that game. Played the free trial when it came out. Have to hand it to them, they took a bold approach: give a bunch of abilities I have no idea how to use, leaving me floundering for 45 minutes. Then, once I got the hang of it, THEY TAKE THEM ALL AWAY. Fought my first enemy afterward... mouse clicking boredly until it died... said "screw this" and uninstalled. Never seen a more jarring, terrible approach. "So, I just played an hour and successfully deleveled my character 19 levels? Isn't this kinda the opposite way MMOs are supposed to work, idiot?"

Besides, with GW2 probably being released at roughly the same time and the potential for MoP (as much as we like to mock it, lots of folks are going to give it a shot, albeit reluctantly) to come out randomly, with only a month or two notice, TSW is going to have *ridiculous* competition. Slap on two gaming companies whose reputations are dubious at best (EA and Funcom), and all the signs point to 'wait and see'.

Last edited:

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Slap on two gaming companies whose reputations are dubious at best (EA and Funcom), and all the signs point to 'wait and see'.
But... EA isn't a gaming company. They're publisher.

From what I played in the beta, I didn't feel there was any EA meddling; just a few buggy missions. However, there could be problems down the road. But the gameplay felt solid, wonderful worldbuilding and storyline, and seemed like they took just about every annoying aspect that other MMO's have had and fixed them.

That doesn't mean it'll be great, but for me, it gives the game a major leg up. I don't plan on going back to WoW--not unless they give me free character transfers to a sever with an actual population--and I'm not into the GW franchise. So I think TSW will fit the niche group of gamers who want something "fresh," and not the same old gear-chasing, fantasy realm with two generic factions and backstory you don't give a shit about.

Status
Not open for further replies.