creating an author website?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Maybe wrong place, but I am a luddite when it comes to the internet and web pages.
Do you design your own page (if so how hard)
or do you hire a web designer? or maybe a program to do it?

If you don't know much about running/configuring a site, use one of the services like Wordpress or Blogger.

NOTE: Decide what you want the site to be. A blog is more or less an online journal. "Blog" actually comes from the term Web Log. I personally think that a blog allows you a base level of interaction with your readers once you get to the published level. But it can be a static information site, with links to your work, and maybe a basic bio page.

Rule of thumb: The more a service offers to do for you, the more locked in to that service you'll be. That's not a 100% rule, but it gets pretty close. Blogger and Wordpress have tools for exporting your whole site. Another service, like Weebly or Wix will automate more, but they use proprietary back-end software and don't provide means to easily copy out your site should you ever decide to move to another service. At the other end, not only is Wordpress a service, it's also software that you can install to a hosted site. You can fairly easily copy the site whole hog from one installation of Wordpress software to another.

A Web designer is a valid option, but very expensive compared to one of the services and their predefined templates. Unless you're expecting large traffic, I don't think this will be very cost effective.

Some Web hosting services provide services like this, and include at least some help in the cost of the hosting service. So you can look for that, too.

Arcana

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe wrong place, but I am a luddite when it comes to the internet and web pages.
Do you design your own page (if so how hard)
or do you hire a web designer? or maybe a program to do it?

check out either wordpess or google's blogger. It might take a bunch of hours and some patience but if my 80+ Grandma can figure it out, then anyone can.
Trust me, she never learned to program the time on a VCR but she has a blog.

WAR Wrestler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
warusho-author.blogspot.com
Speaking of a webpage, and ebooks.
Back when most books were hardcover, or paperback, the cover meant a lot. It caught the reader's attention.
Is there anything different, you must examine when creating a cover for an ebook? How about when you present it on your webpage, should it be large, or thumbnail size?

oakbark

Registered
Reaction score
It has probably been said in this thread but if so, it can't be said enough times :tongue

Try to select a theme which is responsive, meaning it adapts its layout depending on what screen / device people are using to visit. That way, even people checking you out with a smartphone will get served a readable blog.

Here's a site where you can test your blog theme in different sizes
http://mattkersley.com/responsive/

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

I'd also strongly urge you to be careful about where you get themes; blogger's own or Word Press's own are safe, but some theme designers deliberately insert adware etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.