Mama Jude's Pep Talk

Bergerac

Reading & Writing
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. I'm definitely in that zone right now. Publishers rejecting me one-by-one, my dreams of a series with my lovable MC starting to spiral. Now I'm trying to get up the courage to try something a little different, kind of a mystery but not, first person and far more informal in tone that what I've done before. That's taking courage that I usually have, but that's only coming in occasional waves right now.

:)

Aren't you an agented and published author? With an ongoing series and a true crime book under your belt (I thought you were). When my publisher said "No" to a new series I was working on, I simply promised them that I would continue with the series they were publishing IF they would take a chance on at least the first book of the new series. They wouldn't so I found a new publisher for series #2, with my original publisher's blessing (and some contractual negotiation and repeated promises to keep to the deadlines for series #1) since it was their decision. That's what I might suggest for you since you seem to be in a similar pickle.

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
Aren't you an agented and published author? With an ongoing series and a true crime book under your belt (I thought you were). When my publisher said "No" to a new series I was working on, I simply promised them that I would continue with the series they were publishing IF they would take a chance on at least the first book of the new series. They wouldn't so I found a new publisher for series #2, with my original publisher's blessing (and some contractual negotiation and repeated promises to keep to the deadlines for series #1) since it was their decision. That's what I might suggest for you since you seem to be in a similar pickle.

No, I got close. Had an agent for a true crime book but the subject (it was a bio) essentially backed out. That agent didn't want my fiction but I found one who did, but so far I'm not published. Yet. :)

Bergerac

Reading & Writing
Registered
Reaction score
No, I got close. Had an agent for a true crime book but the subject (it was a bio) essentially backed out. That agent didn't want my fiction but I found one who did, but so far I'm not published. Yet. :)

Ouch: subjects who get cold feet are maddening. At least you've got an agent on your side -- that's more than half the battle.
Good luck!

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Mawwaige...mawwaige is what bwings us togetha today.

Midnight Star

We are once in a lifetime.
Registered
Reaction score
Why does it seem like every thread we have on here turns into a house of craziness?

And people say that mystery authors are dark, disturbed people. Psssh.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Uh....you killed my father. Prepare to die?

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Let's do our amoking elsewhere, shall we? :)

I'd like for this to be a thread where we can talk about our troubles with writing and publishing.

Speaking of, I'm hearing from several of us (this includes me, and yes, I do talk to myself!) that we're not writing because we're discouraged, whether it's over agents, publishers, or betas and the neverending "show don't tell" debate. So we kind of grind to a halt. Lose a little bit of the creativity.

I'm sure you've seen the advice "Write every day! Even if you don't feel like it!" My question to you is, what do you think about that advice? Is it helpful?

It makes me feel like a slug. Some days I'm just not feeling it. Some days I'm doing my plot and/or characters more harm than good by paying attention to them.

This might sound like heresy, but I think that some days it's okay to not write.

What do you say?

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Uhh....Ruv started it! :D (kinda...sorta...) and uh...I was keeping it on topic! See, I went back to talking about murder! :D Anyway Kaitie will be good and run amok in the other amok running thread. :)

And I disagree with the write every day rule. I try to, but sometimes I need to sit down and figure out something specific, and trying to force myself to write through it only makes it worse. I'm self-motivated enough that I can finish a work without having to set a rule like that, personally.

Enzo

Registered
Reaction score
I do my best to write every day but there will always be days when you're down. Most days I do three types of writing: a WIP (right now, that's a script for Script Frenzy), loose ideas and notes while I'm sitting in a restaurant waiting for the dish to arrive, and writing at the office for work - which is non-fiction but brings in the cash. So I guess, yes, I write every day but it can take many forms.

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
So far I have always felt like writing, every day, every hour of the day, so I've never had to force myself. But I'm one of those discouraged souls right now and I've not put down a word for a week. I'm starting to wonder if I should force myself now, but I always find something else to do. I hate the idea that writing will become a chore. Me no likey chores.

But, and feel free to adopt this suggestion, I am trying to relieve my surliness in other ways. (a) lots of spankings, (b) LOTS of exercise. I've worked out every day this week and feel my mood lifting a little. (c) lots of AW hugs. :)

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I second all three of those. :tongue

AND I just managed to write a little snippet. So Mama is happy.

DocBrown

Hopes to one day write for food.
Registered
Reaction score
I think of it more as writing every day I am capable of it. ;)

Sometimes, I'm busy and can't write, but I also think it is perfectly acceptable to let the batteries recharge by taking a week or even a month off.

Whatever keeps you motivated the best/most over the long haul.

milly

seeing sparks
Registered
Reaction score
This has been very helpful and much needed. Thanks again!!

Midnight Star

We are once in a lifetime.
Registered
Reaction score
I can never take too much time of. It drives me insane when I'm not writing. I have to write at least every other day.

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
Okay, well-behaved (or perhaps it's just better-behaved) Ruv. Back on-topic:

Imagination is a blessing to writers, but idealism is a curse. I've been involved in critique groups for years, and while some harsh critique can ruffle feathers sometimes, I think that most writers learn to be fairly robust about that. But one's own idealism is perhaps the hardest thing a writer ever has to face. The story has to be this good this time; writing has to be this easy this time. I have to sell this much this time. If it was a parent doing it to a child, you'd want to slap them silly, wouldn't you?

What you'd tell a child isn't: you must achieve this. You'd say: here's what you learned last time, huzzah! Here's how you should try this time. Do your best. That's all.

Regarding days when we 'don't write', I'm not entirely sure what that means. Author and teacher Jim van Pelt says that a writer needs three things: a felicity with language, the power to observe and something to say. There are certainly days when I can find nothing worth saying, but I can't think of a day when I can't delight in language, or observe something interesting, or think about what I might want to say tomorrow.

Those may not be writing days, but they are writer days -- days of learning, reflection and thought -- and I think they're just as important.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Imagination is a blessing to writers, but idealism is a curse. I've been involved in critique groups for years, and while some harsh critique can ruffle feathers sometimes, I think that most writers learn to be fairly robust about that. But one's own idealism is perhaps the hardest thing a writer ever has to face. The story has to be this good this time; writing has to be this easy this time. I have to sell this much this time. If it was a parent doing it to a child, you'd want to slap them silly, wouldn't you?

What you'd tell a child isn't: you must achieve this. You'd say: here's what you learned last time, huzzah! Here's how you should try this time. Do your best. That's all.
Excellent point.

Regarding days when we 'don't write', I'm not entirely sure what that means. Author and teacher Jim van Pelt says that a writer needs three things: a felicity with language, the power to observe and something to say. There are certainly days when I can find nothing worth saying, but I can't think of a day when I can't delight in language, or observe something interesting, or think about what I might want to say tomorrow.

Those may not be writing days, but they are writer days -- days of learning, reflection and thought -- and I think they're just as important.
And another excellent point. I'm prone to procrastination and work best when I have a consistent writing schedule, but I also don't feel beholden to "write every day." Some days I need to dedicate to ruminating.

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
. . .

There are certainly days when I can find nothing worth saying, but I can't think of a day when I can't delight in language, or observe something interesting, or think about what I might want to say tomorrow.

I like this very much. :)

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I just wanted to add that I do notice, however, that if life just keeps me away from writing for a couple of weeks (or longer, I've gone through dry spells before, or gosh like my six months of editing I did on the last story) when I don't get to write, and when I go back and finally do it again, I'm amazed at how much I missed it. Writing itself is such a good feeling, and such a good stress reliever. Sometimes when I don't do it for awhile, I forget how much I love it.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of, I'm hearing from several of us (this includes me, and yes, I do talk to myself!) that we're not writing because we're discouraged, whether it's over agents, publishers, or betas and the neverending "show don't tell" debate. So we kind of grind to a halt. Lose a little bit of the creativity.
One of the things that hangs me up at times is that "I'm writing a book." It's a book. It's a whole big plot filled with a gazillion details I have to make up and I'm taking it seriously. Sometimes that's too much pressure. When that happens, I'm trying to cultivate turning to a "just for fun" story to keep me writing. I don't acknowledge it as a book or even as anything that has to make sense. It's only for fun. I can blow up the world in chapter 1 and it can exist again in chapter 3 like nothing happened. Having the fun story doesn't keep me writing every day (I rarely do), but it gives me a backup when my WIP's in the doldrums, something to dig into without any feelings of responsibility. Maybe we should start a crazy prompt thread that people can go to for fun ideas (mine was given to me after I whined about needing something else to write).

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I feel a little bit like that when I first get started. Not so much over the plot and everything, but I have a hard time beginning things. It takes me a bit to get the feel of it and be comfortable and settle into it. I start wondering if I'll be able to pull it off, if that makes sense? But once I get settled in, it gets easier and I always fall in love. :)

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe we should start a crazy prompt thread that people can go to for fun ideas (mine was given to me after I whined about needing something else to write).

We have a whole room for that. I'd love it if one of us started an MTS idea prompt. Let us know if you do!

:Hug2: for everyone. Mama needs one today.