Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
*tacklehugs Pisarz* About time you showed up!

Basically, we like to close threads when they rack up between 25K and 35K posts because at that size it takes forever for slower browsers to load them.

Vol. 7 simply means that we're a chatty bunch. :D

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
Well, let's hope so. Especially given that she got mine right, I feel like a big fat jackass. And I did it TWICE! Egads.

But I did say I was sorry, so as long as that doesn't annoy her (and gets through her spam filter with a subject line "apology," which I thought at first would at least let on that I'm not going to email her eleventy thousand times a day about my book, but now wonder at the stupidity of) then I'll stay quiet and do my revisions and send them back and hope she likes them enough to overlook it if she thinks I'm crazy.

Oy. I swear I'm not usually this spazzy. This business is hell on your nerves.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
lwalker, if it helps, agents realize authors get spazzy (especially authors who know said agent has some interest in them). :)

Bluestone

It's never too late to dream big
Registered
Reaction score
Hi purgies! Welcome to Volume 7!

:e2bouncey:e2bouncey:e2bouncey:e2bouncey:e2bouncey:e2bouncey:e2bouncey:e2bouncey:e2bouncey

lwalker, I love your story. It sounds very promising! Don't worry about the misspelling. It's easy to blow it out of proportion, but apologizing covers it, and now move on to the revisions! Yay!! I love that we have good news in the first few posts of the new volume.

Elisabetta, love the Turkish book fort!!

See you all tomorrow! :D

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
LWalker, I think I win the prize for "dumbest agent/editor mistakes". Once, in a query letter, I wrote:

Dear Mr. XXX

...Too bad the agent's name was Ms. YYY.

I managed to both misspell her name and call her a man in the same query. What do I win?

You know, thinking back, I never did get a response from that agent...

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
Gosh, you guys posted a lot while I slept. Hi, new thread.

Oooo, B&N sent me coupons.

Hoping since there's nothing to do tonight I can get D. to work on the office, but since his first words were he worked through his breaks today and he's tired, slim chance. It's like he knows when I think of it and makes himself useless on purpose....

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
LWalker, I think I win the prize for "dumbest agent/editor mistakes". Once, in a query letter, I wrote:

Dear Mr. XXX

...Too bad the agent's name was Ms. YYY.

I managed to both misspell her name and call her a man in the same query. What do I win?

You know, thinking back, I never did get a response from that agent...

When I was querying, I got a request for a full, hit "forward" and sent the email to my husband proceeded by a note to him telling him exactly how I felt about that agent . . . and instead of "forward" I hit "reply" and sent it to the agent.

When I realized what I had done, I wrote immediately and said, "I hope you have a sense of humor."

She did.

Nothing beats my cousin when he was in high school and had two girlfriends and wrote them both letters from a summer vacation . . . and put the letters in the wrong envelopes. Ooops.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
When I was querying, I got a request for a full, hit "forward" and sent the email to my husband proceeded by a note to him telling him exactly how I felt about that agent . . . and instead of "forward" I hit "reply" and sent it to the agent.

When I realized what I had done, I wrote immediately and said, "I hope you have a sense of humor."

She did.

Nothing beats my cousin when he was in high school and had two girlfriends and wrote them both letters from a summer vacation . . . and put the letters in the wrong envelopes. Ooops.

:roll:

So I have to ask... were these things that you said about the agent good or bad?

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and here comes my idea for the next purgy poll:

What are your funniest agent or editor stories?

Go!

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
What fresh hell is this?

Never mind, it's just another fresh Purgatory thread.

Carry on.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Mystery, I wish I had funny stories. Mine are all grim.

CheekyWench

O.o
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elysabethwilliams.com
It's not mine, but my BF cut/pasted an email into her email client and fired it off.
She got a nice rejection pretty quickly, but when she scrolled down to see what she'd written -- she realized that the email client borked the font up to like 24 point, the color was bright blue and the font was like comic sans. Bf is still mortified, years later.

So yeah... be careful with that. lol

LGwenn

Rollin' Boulders, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Put agents name, requirements, and the personalization tidbit I dug up online in an email. I was totally *supposed* to hit "save as draft" So I could actually put the query in later.

Hit send

Yeah.

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
So I have to ask... were these things that you said about the agent good or bad?

I can't remember specifics. It was several years ago. I did start by saying, "Another one!" and then said something about the agent, but it wasn't bad. The note was addressed to my husband by name, so she knew right away it wasn't intended for her.

Email is dangerous. The perfect email program would say, "Are you sure you want to hit send" each time.

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've sent emails to dead or fired/moved agents more than once. I guess the only things that could qualify as funny are I got an email from an agent where the subject line was "I wish it would rain," then the body was just a fairly standard rejection. And I got someone else's rejection once, with their original query included (I would have read that book) and emailed them to let them know to close out, and ask if they got mine. Never heard back.

FruitTree

Registered
Reaction score
Whoa! I miss a day and BAM new thread! (With David Bowie no less???)

lwalker, congrats on the R&R!

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
*sniffs new thread smell*

*pees*

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
One of my best friends is having her little boy tomorrow! First kid. She's in Greece, so I have to wait for time difference and e-mail for news. We're all hoping her hubby can figure out 'reply to all'. :)

NIYRAK

Plot Ninja's on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Nah not ordinary. Just good gardening. I try to balance edible perennial gardening with my annual gardening. I'm also big on mixing wild with domestic varieties to increase genetic diversity because I've repeatedly read how of vegetable plants there is only about a 1/3 of the varieties of seeds in seed catalogues that there use to be from say a hundred years ago.

I guess it's my way of hoping that after I'm gone someone will find my mixed and hybrid selections and use it for their own benefit

You should make a map of the property with plant locations and save it for future generations in a hidden compartment in the house... would totally freak someone out lol

So yeah... it's 3 am and I am wide awake... *sigh* It wouldn't be so bad if I actually had the spark of brilliance to write some... alas I don't

In good news pub has finally given me an actual *maybe* date for release. June 12th! :hooray:I am hoping to work on the cover this weekend once she sends me the template... I'm excited. I don't have my boys this weekend so I will actually have time (and quiet) to focus on it...

Ok, gonna try to get some writing done or go back to sleep... either one will work for me...

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com

Kris

like motherf&cking Tolstoy
VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
I am totally caught up on all 3 pages of this thread! :)

Caleb, your plant situation sounds awesome. And NIYRAK, I actually really like the plant-map idea.

Also, I agree about cricket18's post being the best new thread post ever.

Agent/editor stories: Someone I know who is a pretty successful sic-fi writer just told me that a slush reader at a (pretty minor) short story magazine sent him back a snarky rejection that started with something like, "Who writes this stuff anymore!?"or "Why does anyone write this stuff anymore?" Sheesh!

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Kris, ouch.

The only sound coming from our little cottage this morning in the frantic taptaptap of fingers on keyboards.

In other news, this thread needs some padding for comfort. It's not properly broken in until the first 50+ pages. ;)

Kris

like motherf&cking Tolstoy
VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
Kris, ouch.

The only sound coming from our little cottage this morning in the frantic taptaptap of fingers on keyboards.

In other news, this thread needs some padding for comfort. It's not properly broken in until the first 50+ pages. ;)

I know, it doesn't even have that little "Last page" button yet!

Aw, widdle baby thread was just born...

Let's give it some cake so it will grow up big and strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.