Mythomania May 500 words/day--all genres welcome!

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning! Time for another early-morning writing session.

919 words achieved this morning. Not bad at all, especially since someone was in my usual seat in Starbucks and I had to find somewhere else to sit. I hate that. It throws me off my usual routine...

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Morning everyone! It's not an early start for me - Friday morning is our little market, here. But I'm on my second coffee and starting in fifteen mintutes and just forcibly unplugging the IE (Internal Editor) for the next two hours. I'm hoping to come back in with about 900 words which will edit down this afternoon to something considerably less.

Marya

In search of distractions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
africanalchemy.wordpress.com
Morning, everybody. Going on with my new version of the short story, feeling quite daunted but hoping for 500 words by the end of the day.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck Marya. It's lunchtime here (an hour late to make up for Early Lunch yesterday) - and I have 420 words. And I think I am still "on" enough to punch some more out this afternoon.

I'm pleased with them. I think. I'm writing a fugue-y old lady in first person, and I've just realised she drinks. So - that's going to be fun. Writing that without getting too jumpy-around and discursive.

After lunch she's going to be more settled and I suspect she'll have a terrific sense of humour. I'm getting a crush on her. I love getting a crush on my characters :)

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't write anything yesterday. It was an awesome relaxing day and I didn't have time, but I don't care because I had a blast and I day of fun stuff.

I did, however, just get a packet in the mail for my very first official run. It's a 2 mile, and I've got the number to stick on my shirt and everything. I'm both really excited and a little nervous. I can't believe I'm really doing this!

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Marya Shara Namatu! Doesn't that sound like a great chant?

Marya Shara Namatu. mccardey, Doc, let's boogaloo.

( Mood has been weird every since I woke up with that dream of giving birth to a pan of brown-n-serve rolls. Getting to work now)

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
Top of the morning to y'all! I'm not writing today, but READING a contract--a publishing contract--and exploring my possibilities. Feeling overwhelmed and sort of insecure as my hand keeps rushing toward that dotted line and my brain keeps saying, "Wait. You have to be certain." Is anything ever certain? I'm weighing conflicting advice from people I don't know very well and keep coming back to something my husband just said:

Someone wants to publish your book. They aren't asking you for any money, but want to invest in you. So maybe they are small, but they want to be successful. And they see your book as a means to that success. I think they might give you better service than Harper Collins or Tor would give to a 1st-time author. Plus either way you'll have to work your tail off. So the question is, are you ready?

And it all comes down to me, like always. I may put it out on paper or the internet, but writing--and publishing--are internal acts of the author. Based in self-confidence.

I may enjoy having to make this decision, but gosh-dern, it's bloody agonizing.

Lucie

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the contract offer! Just makes sure you check them out in the B&BC section here and see what they say. :)

DocBrown

Hopes to one day write for food.
Registered
Reaction score
Indeed! Congrats on the offer WA! :snoopy:

Your husband is right, no matter who picks up your book, you'll still be doing 99% of the marketing.

Good luck! :)

For my end, I wrote 908 words today. Time to get ready for work. Bleh.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Indeed! Congrats on the offer WA! :snoopy:

Your husband is right, no matter who picks up your book, you'll still be doing 99% of the marketing.

Good luck! :)

Just wanted to say this isn't necessarily true. Authors are expected to help in promotion, but marketing is different from promotion, and most good publishers will help authors in some way. I'd actually avoid one that didn't help out in some was, at the very least review copies and press releases and that sort of thing.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
WA, great! I can understand feeling anxiety despite the good news.

I spent all morning researching. Wanted for a long time to write a Hmong-American character and I've been reading blogs, recipes, and more today, trying to pump life into the idea. Probably more research tomorrow, unless character 1 or 2 demands to be written about.

WordCount

You don't have coffee? Go away.
Registered
Reaction score
Camp NaNo is starting up! I'll be taking a break from my other WIPs to look into that.

I'm thinking mystery (*snickers to himself). What about you guys?

'The Reunion' as it's currently named, is my first attempt at NaNo. God I hope it's at least readable.

ETA: For those bestowed with wonder by my snickering, I wish to clarify that it was more of an attack on myself, than the genre. For I am without the ability to write any other genre of the sort.

My mind has conjured the idea of me using Old English in my forthcoming novel. I agree with the idea at the moment, but it is definitely subject to change.

Have a lovely evening.

Last edited:

Daddyo

been around a while
Registered
Reaction score
Since my debut, River Bottom Blues, hit the market in January, marketing, book signings, book club readings, etc...have sucked me up big time. Now, edits have started for my second book, The Devil's Blues, but I did finally jump back on my WiP and managed to knock out a couple of chapters @ 787 words. Hoping to keep going down the road.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lucie, congrats on the contract.

'The Reunion' as it's currently named, is my first attempt at NaNo. God I hope it's at least readable.

How strange, my new WIP is about a reunion.

No words for me these last couple of days. I have visitors until Tuesday and can't get near the computer. I managed a handwritten paragraph yesterday. So frustrated!:Headbang:

WordCount

You don't have coffee? Go away.
Registered
Reaction score
Lucie, congrats on the contract.

How strange, my new WIP is about a reunion.

No words for me these last couple of days. I have visitors until Tuesday and can't get near the computer. I managed a handwritten paragraph yesterday. So frustrated!:Headbang:

I've been there; just keep up with what you can.

Also, does your WIP contain one of the reunionees dying (and the rest becoming freelance detectives)? If so, I may need to do some corrections to mine.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
More research, another 600 words introducing a character I did little planning for but who seemed to know her own voice. The morning just flies when I'm into this. I look up and I think, wtf, it's 1:00 already? Much better that than where I was a few months back, glaring at those pages, typing, backspacing over it all, looking at the clock and thinking, wtf, only ten tortured minutes have passed? Much better.

# #

Plenty of space to add today. 700-ish words with my final MC and the POV of the geology, completing what Chapter 1 seems to be to me today. I reserve the right to change everything upon rewriting, but to get to rewriting, ya gotta get down the words first, right? Again, somehow between researching and writing 4 hours just flew by

Last edited:

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been there; just keep up with what you can.

Also, does your WIP contain one of the reunionees dying (and the rest becoming freelance detectives)? If so, I may need to do some corrections to mine.

More than one of the reunioness (is that a word? Don't care, I likes it!) dies - well, so far only one, but another one is getting on my nerves so I'm planning something vicious for her.:evil

Also, since they're stuck on an island they have to turn detective to figure out what's going on, although, they do have two cops stuck on the island with them.

No words for me this weekend.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
I've been busy all week with the Little Shop of Horrors production. No work today and I had a choice - stay in and work or go out and meet a friend for coffee and cake. Coffee and cake won! It was very very good...