Would I limit reader interest by labeling my novel Women's Fiction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Question: Would I be limiting reader interest by putting my e-book into the Women's Fiction genre, rather than the broader Fiction catagory? It is definitely women's fiction, as it deals with deeper life issues and details the way the MC works through them. I looked at the two genre's on Amazon, and much fewer titles come up under Women's Fiction. I don't know if that's good or bad. Any advice for me?

Last edited:

Chiquita Banana

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
libby-mercer.blogspot.com
If the numbers are significantly lower in women's fiction, I would go with that one, so it would be less of a challenge to climb in the rankings. I know you're probably worried about alienating male readers, but this is less of a concern than you might think - in terms of numbers. I've been doing some research on readers lately and have come to find that 80% of readers are women! 80%!!! To quote my not-yet-published blog post on the subject:

"Feminist, author and journalist, Lakshmi Chaudhry, wrote, 'Unlike the gods of the literary establishment who remain predominantly male – both as writers and critics – their humble readers are overwhelmingly female.'"

Sorry to get all preachy. I say go with WF because the stats/odds are more in your favor. :)

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
If the numbers are significantly lower in women's fiction, I would go with that one, so it would be less of a challenge to climb in the rankings. I know you're probably worried about alienating male readers, but this is less of a concern than you might think - in terms of numbers. I've been doing some research on readers lately and have come to find that 80% of readers are women! 80%!!!

Sorry to get all preachy. I say go with WF because the stats/odds are more in your favor. :)

Good point, Chiquita, about the rankings. I hadn't even thought of that. I never considered male readers either, to tell you the truth, but I do know you're right about the fact that men don't read as much as women.

I don't find you preachy at all. I appreciate your advice. Thank you.

J. Tanner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorjtanner.wordpress.com
Using as specific an option as available on each of your two available Amazon categories tends to be the best choice. Your books also appear in the categories "above" them automatically so you aren't exactly taking it out of the Fiction category as you described. Amazon can also (quite arbitrarily at times) include your book in further categories beyond the two they allow you to select. It's almost always to your benefit to appear in as many as possible (barring cases where it would lead to false expectation.)

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Using as specific an option as available on each of your two available Amazon categories tends to be the best choice. Your books also appear in the categories "above" them automatically so you aren't exactly taking it out of the Fiction category as you described. Amazon can also (quite arbitrarily at times) include your book in further categories beyond the two they allow you to select. It's almost always to your benefit to appear in as many as possible (barring cases where it would lead to false expectation.)

Awesome info, J. Tanner. Thank you!

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Well, this is confusing. I went back to check out e-book catagories on Amazon again, and there is no women's fiction after all. I realize now, I only found it before because I typed it into the search field, which causes books in that genre to come up. Yet, if I were to submit my book to an agent, I'd have to query it as women's fiction. It doesn't seem to fit any place there, except under just plain fiction. There is a genre fiction catagory, but again, nothing that fits my book. :(

J. Tanner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorjtanner.wordpress.com
Sometimes there are categories that don't exist on the list from within KDP but are on the site. Check there. If the category exists, but is not selectable via KDP, you can email the support team with the request to replace category X with category Y. They'll handle it within a couple days. (I got some of my short stories listed as Dark Fantasy this way.)

Status
Not open for further replies.