Israel paper cuts Merkel from Paris march photo for "modesty"

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is erasing all humans (and presumably, other organisms) with two X chromosomes, 'altering or compromising the meaning of editorial content'?

Yes, they got in trouble for the same thing for removing Hillary and female staffers from the famous war room photo op from the Bin Laden raid. It violates the legal rights holder's restriction on use. Not a free speech issue. It's a copyright issue.

emax100

Banned
Reaction score
If it's freedom of speech to wage a blatant war on women, deleting our image as if we're a disease that needs to be wiped, and slandering us as a stain on peoples' memory for our sex, then the next acceptable thing, I guess, is to caption pictures of the victims of police brutality with "this n.... got what he had coming, shoulda picked the cotton and be quiet" or make the Westboro Baptist's slogans the next source for headlines. Or how about "This kyke right here, should have been gassed before he got on TV".
Yeah, not so cool suddenly.
And yes, deleting women from the public image is no better than saying we should actually, literally, disappear. You don't systematically delete something from view if you value its existence. This IS a war on women, it is NOT just religion, it has nothing to do with a religion that dictates such oppression in no way. People screeching that this is free speech, miss the fact that this deletion of women represents an attitude that women have to suffer in real life. It is really no different than forcing a burqa on a woman. They want us invisible. They make us invisible. And we just have to suck it up? This oppressive behavior is not the only one in a series of legal - some now illegal - crimes against the female collective and to reduce it to silly little free speech, no harm done, is insane and dangerous.

Somehow, tolerance for sexism and gender-based oppression is a lot higher than it would be for racism or anti-semitism, and this I do not understand. Telling a black person to sit in the back of the bus, would be borderline hate crime. But one can tell us women to accept the censorship of our existence as if we are filthy demons?
The issue is that I am not sure this can be comparable to forcing women to wear burkhas unless everyone in Israel was required to see and buy this newspaper. Since Israelis have the option of ignoring this paper, I don't see validity in the comparisons to making blacks or women or GLTBQs or anyone else sit in the back of the bus.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think it is quite legitimate to call out any media outlet for presenting untrue material. People have the right to see news with different angles, but actually modifying an image is a form of outright lying and thus not valid journalism.

emax100

Banned
Reaction score
I think it is quite legitimate to call out any media outlet for presenting untrue material. People have the right to see news with different angles, but actually modifying an image is a form of outright lying and thus not valid journalism.
And I don't think anyone disagrees. Free speech protects the right of newspapers to be dishonest douchbags and our right to call them out on it. That is the fundamental concept.

Remember when I implied entertainers are less likely to be able to have insightful views on politics and culture? Maybe I was being too brash and maybe I wasn't quite right after all. When Chick Fill A owner Dan Cathy expressed his opposition to gay marriage, openly gay metal icon Rob Halford showed a better understanding of the concept of free speech than the vast majority of politicians and these arguments over free speech in the wake of Hebdo keep reminding me of it.

NinjaFingers

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jennpovey.imagination-evolution.net
The ultra-orthodox really are kind of... They don't represent all of Judaism (in fact, many sects allow women to be rabbis these days).

What you have to understand about the ultra-orthodox is that they're more like Jewish Amish or Mennonites than anything else. They believe Judaism should not be changed to fit with "modern" ideas, they dress in 18th century dress, they avoid news sources other than their own. They're opposed to the internet and television, opposed to women wearing pants, require strict gender segregation at all times (for example, they won't sit next to a woman on a plane and have been known to offer women money to switch seats so they don't have to).

They consider pictures of women and girls to be "immodest" regardless of what those women are wearing (Ironically, it's not uncommon for them to spend so much time studying their wives have to earn the money).

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe instead we should quit conflating negative rights and legally-construed privileges (or restrictions) by referring to all of them as "rights."

The only difference between a right and a privilege is an opinion.