The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Just subbed Insomnia to ChiZine. Tomorrow I'm hoping to finish up my Write 1 for the week, maybe wrap up some of those older projects too.

In the meantime, happy Friday! :)

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nathaniel: I write in bursts also.. It's been like 2 weeks since I finished a story (shame on me!) but I will also have weeks when I write three. I am hoping to get back into the groove soon (especially since the next week or two should be relatively calm for me work-wise, barring anything unforeseen).

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
I'm making an attempt to end my burst writing, but the problem is that it feels silly to stop when I'm going strong. I've done two stories this week (one of which is edited ,but I edit on a slightly different schedule) and am going to start another tomorrow. Hopefully this won't end with me sitting around on Wednesday and realizing I used up all the inspiration I'm going to get until June.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
My advice (for the negative cents it's worth) is to train yourself slowly. And don't try to get rid of the burst writing completely. If you're in the zone, go for it.

And when you're not, focus on writing a little bit each day. Maybe use a writing prompt and aim for 200-300 words, without even trying to put story to them. Get your mind in the habit of writing, without it feeling like it's being forced to write (if your mind is anything like mine, it reacts very negatively to the idea of being forced to do anything).

But don't burst the burst, man. :D

:Shrug: of course, we're all different writing beasts, so the above may or may not be useful :)

ETA: oh, and good stuff Aggy and soapy (and anybody else i've missed)!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Write story 2 for the month finished.

5,250 words, 2,550 of which were written today.

Too long, but at least i have a story. I can worry about trimming it down to fighting weight another day.

Now i just need to edit and sub my second story from last month and i've hit my target for the month. And if i find some place to sub my drabble too, that'll be 3 new subs for the month! Plus, i still have that extra story from last month that SYW critters have told me could do with less opening.

*basks in sense of accomplishment, knowing that it won't last long :D*

btw: 2 week forum anniversary! :partyguy:

MattJ

Publish or Die Trying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
wayofthewriter.blogspot.com
I just went through one of my stories on draft 4. I decided to change the MC from a male into a female. It improved the story by 100%

What a strange power we writers have.

jgold

Grinning
Registered
Reaction score
I've been slacking. Barely anything written. Nothing finished or edited. About the only thing I've done is send four subs out (Chizine, Shroud, NewMyths & Linger). One hold request from a market that has held five other stories before... all of which were rejected eventually.

No rejections yet this month--although one will be coming from Not One of Us any day now for my second favorite story....

MattJ

Publish or Die Trying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
wayofthewriter.blogspot.com
The dark side of W1S1: its raining rejections!

My rebuttal: I've just bought a stack of envelopes to reach out to those markets that won't accept e-subs. Try to hide from me, eh?

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I just went through one of my stories on draft 4. I decided to change the MC from a male into a female. It improved the story by 100%

What a strange power we writers have.
Heh--we're word surgeons. Our characters better never mess with us!

I've been slacking. Barely anything written. Nothing finished or edited. About the only thing I've done is send four subs out (Chizine, Shroud, NewMyths & Linger). One hold request from a market that has held five other stories before... all of which were rejected eventually.

No rejections yet this month--although one will be coming from Not One of Us any day now for my second favorite story....
Aww *hugs* Hope you get back into your writing groove soon. :)

The dark side of W1S1: its raining rejections!

My rebuttal: I've just bought a stack of envelopes to reach out to those markets that won't accept e-subs. Try to hide from me, eh?
That's the spirit, Matt! Bombard those editors wherever they may be. :D

And the EC issue is up. Some really gorgeous stuff there. :)

(www.fairytalemagazine.com - though it looks like the site might be down at the moment.)
Ooh-shiny!

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
I just got another beta reader, the friend of one of my primary beta reader now. So far, I've turned him loose on the story I put up to SYW. More eyes would still definitely be great, though, as the first person who read it said a certain theme was too explicit and grating and the other didn't get it at all :Huh:

Gray Rose

Beware of the Thorns!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
roselemberg.net
AW gobbled up my post.

I submitted a new story (flash) to Triangulation, bringing my submitted story count up to 5. Also, finished what I think is a final-ish draft of the epic novelette (15k), so now I get to obsess about a) whether I need to ask one more person to read this, and b) where to send it. I thought I had a first market in mind, but a strange conversation with an editor made me reconsider (but I am still unsure).

Sent a query to SH. :p

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
So, I finished a really short story this morning. And it kind of sucks. Then I got the thought that it would be pretty badass in a steampunk world. And I'm contemplating how it would work and what would need to be fleshed out.

I'm thinking if I can get it written and polished up by Friday I'll sub it to the Mammoth Book of Steampunk. But that'll be a close call. Guess the only way I'm going to find out if I can do it is to start.

At the moment I'm flip-flopping back and forth between "Six days is plenty of time," and "There's no way. I won't even be able to get beta-readers on it in that time frame."

Think it's time to put on a fresh pot of coffee and buckle down to write for the evening. (Once I get the toddler safely in bed.)

Gray Rose

Beware of the Thorns!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
roselemberg.net
I'm thinking if I can get it written and polished up by Friday I'll sub it to the Mammoth Book of Steampunk. But that'll be a close call. Guess the only way I'm going to find out if I can do it is to start.

Question: is the Mammoth Book of Steampunk on Duo? I don't see it...

Also, you can do it! Best of luck!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Nicely done, Rose! :snoopy:

And well done on getting a draft finished, Aggy, even if you feel it needs some reworking :)

Nat (can i call you Nat?), i'll try to get to your story tonight--though i'm not a horror writer, typically, so may not be of as much use as someone who is. Work's kicking my butt today.

Last edited:

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Izz, and no huge rush. Nat's fine, too. It's what I go by in person, actually; I just figured it was too informal to write under.

I've been reading a lot of Beneath Ceaseless Skies lately and thinking about next week's story. I'm thinking a Swords & Sorcery that's slightly longer than most of the work I'm doing now. Of course, it probably wont' get in anywhere, but trying new stuff's always good. Besides, it's using in a weird way pangalactic's prompt.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nat,

I just checked out your blog and saw the post about going to Brooklyn for a signing... Do you live in/near NYC? I'm in Brooklyn myself (Sheepshead Bay) and was thinking that if there are several W1S1'ers in the area we should all meet up and do a live workshop or something.

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
I live on Long Island, so not far at all. That's quite an interesting idea. Anyone else around NYC?

Sagana

Registered
Reaction score
Go Rose!

Whee, Aggie, steampunk is so much fun. My novel-to-be is steampunk. Well actually it's deiselpunk but close enough. You can do it.

I finished up my not-twitter story, so just needs editing. I don't think that will be too bad. It's more light and cute than the darker stuff I've been doing. Now if I'd just get off my tail and finish the edits for the previous story and send it out, I'd be all the way back on track. Maybe I'm delaying because I'm scared. I better go ask for some kicks :)

I'm jealous. I'm not close enough to New York for meet-ups. Make sure you talk about me! *g*

Sagana

Registered
Reaction score
Go Rose! Can't hurt to try. Only thing better from my point of view than knowing someone who had a piece in it would be knowing two people! :)