Signature length

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, has the max signature length been decreased lately? It used to be 600 characters max and now mine's saying 400. I couldn't find a thread for it. Mine's always kinda been odd anyway, even when I use the editor mode, so I was just making sure it wasn't another Sage-specific fluke.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
Mine's not doing well either. I tried to enter the HTML code for a progress meter and it wouldn't take it, telling me I'd exceeded the character count.

tahni

Registered
Reaction score
Same for me. I'm trying to update my signature and I get an error. I usually get the following:

"Your signature can not be longer than 600 characters including BBCode markup."

I'm not even adding any more characters, just changing a number in the word counts

dgrintalis

'Tis true, she is a monstergirl
Registered
Reaction score
Betwixt a nightmare and a veil of shadowy dark
Same for me. I'm trying to update my signature and I get an error. I usually get the following:

"Your signature can not be longer than 600 characters including BBCode markup."

I'm not even adding any more characters, just changing a number in the word counts

Wow, we are totally on the same page. That is what I was trying to do and got the same error.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I'm thinking maybe the character limit has been reset to a default size by recent software updates, and/or the BB code is now counted along with the text. Your signatures -- before the updates happened -- were probably >600 characters, so when you try to edit and re-save, the new character limit stops you.

tahni (I hope you don't mind my using you as an example :)) your displayed signature is around 406 characters (I copy/pasted it into my text editor and that's what displayed) but if I look at your signature including the BB code it's 778 characters.

If you can, shrink your signatures!

-Derek

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Mine says: "Your signature can not be longer than 400 characters excluding BB Code markup."

It used to be 600 characters excluding code and 1200 including code. So now it's 400 excluding and 600 including?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Sorry, without knowing the exact system gubbins that limits siglines and other settings, I can only take guesses.

Quick peek: your visible sigline is 285 characters, your sigline with code is 716 characters. If you haven't already, try backing up your sigline (copy/paste into Notepad, for example) and then editing/reducing it bit by bit.

Sorry if this is frustrating, a well-meant tweak to improve board response and reduce delays might well have a knock-on effect, and I suspect that's what's happened here.

-Derek

Deleted member 42

Mac limited the character length because some people were abusing the signature.

In at least one case, the person's signature helped cause a fairly nasty problem last Sunday.

dpaterson's suggestion is excellent, and Mac is paying attention to the thread; she gets why sigs are important.

Scott Kaelen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorscottkaelen.wordpress.com
Rather than start my own thread (and get flamed for not searching the forums for the answer first) I'm necroing Sage's 3-year-old thread (instead of his 6-year-old thread of the same name) to ask:
Has anyone figured out the dynamics of this elusive 'BB code markup'?
My sig has 5 sets of characters, totalling 80 characters in all. Each set is linked to one of my SYW posts. I can't add any more text without it saying my sig is too long, and so I've removed my WIP word count (text only, no links.)

There is no way that 80 typed characters, plus BB code, plus link characters, equals more than 800 characters.

Can anyone point me to the answer or explain how to calculate the true character amount including BB code and links?

I've seen a lot of sigs that are much larger than mine, and include several links PLUS images. Does reputation or post count have anything to do with it . . . ?

Scott Kaelen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorscottkaelen.wordpress.com
Well, in the two hours since I posted my problem I've done some digging around and come up with two things.

1. At the top right-hand corner above the sig editor box (just as with the message reply box) there is a small 'A' icon for Switch Editor Mode. Pressing this while in sig editor shows you all the BB code. Lo and behold, when I switched Editor Mode I saw a whole bunch of code that I thought I'd got rid of, such as [FONT ] [COLOR ] [LEFT ALIGN ] etc. that was no longer visible on my signature. Removing this redundant coding took my signature character length down to about 550, removing at least 200 useless characters.

2. I came across a cool little website called Google URL Shortener (goo.gl) which I used to turn AW's quite lengthy forum URLs into very short Google ones, and of course they still link to the relative AW threads. Doing this has shortened my signature character length from over 550 to approximately 250.

I hope these little nuggets of information come in useful to other AWers!:e2shower:

Deleted member 42

I hope these little nuggets of information come in useful to other AWers!:e2shower:

Scott I only just now saw this.

If you can't figure it out, PM me what you'd like in your sig, and I'll see if I can fix it for you.

But yes, it counts all the characters, BB code, spaces, etc.

Also; line breaks are sneak critters so watch for those too.

(My alternate Secret Identity is as an Admin for AW, And Welcome to AW etc. etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.