The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kmarshall

Registered
Reaction score
With an editor's help, I condensed three whole chapters of backstory in a couple of paragraphs. I also looked a redundant scenes. Gestures weren't much of a problem, but I over described them, particularly when adding them to speech for emphasis. Most of those came out, which improved pacing considerably.

My mailbox is quiet to. A good thing. And a bad one :)

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
I hope everyone gets some kind of Yes today.

Back at you. I got my first full request, and I know not to be overly hopeful, but I am relieved, like "okay, at least I know for sure the query does not suck on toast."

much much luck to all others.

Kmarshall

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Lorna. I tend to reread those full requests whenever an r comes in :) c.e. I'm in the same boat as you now. I just finished the first draft of my w.i.p. It's a whopping 135K words. In the interest of full disclosure, my first book/ms came in at almost 180K. After much work, that one sits at 110K and feels finished. My editor agrees :)

qdsb

Cynical Idealist
Registered
Reaction score
lorna--Yay for a full request! While I agree on not getting too hopeful, I think you should celebrate the moment! :partyguy:

And...I'm up to 32 total queries as of today. Since I have some partials/fulls out, I'm going to take a break from sending new queries out until I see the results of these 32. I'm just playing mind games with myself and really need to set some personal boundaries so I can be more productive in other projects.

I keep trying to remind myself that this isn't a race...it's a journey. I don't *need* to do it all *today.* And checking my email and querytracker obsessively every hour isn't a productive part of that journey.

carleree--I hope life is easing up on you today. No. more. catastrophes! Got that, world?

Kmarshall

Registered
Reaction score
Ditto q. Nice to know I'm not the only who obsessively checking :)

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
And checking my email and querytracker obsessively every hour isn't a productive part of that journey.

What? What?!? (Taking careful notes.) ;)

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
carleree--I hope life is easing up on you today. No. more. catastrophes! Got that, world?
I have not broken anything today, and so far have not received a form R. I'd say today is definitely looking up. Must be how you commanded the world...

And since you're on a roll, could you command the world to give me a winning lottery ticket? ASAP?
icon12.gif

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
My agent is still waiting on revision notes from a publisher, who sure is taking her sweet time in getting them organized and together. No news in 45 days and I'm tearing my hair out. I can't figure out wuss up and neither can my agent. It's quite a mystery, but we're intent on waiting this thing out no matter what. It's not a major deal but it's a significant one--nice little advance and distribution. God, I sure could use this positive reinforcement at this time.

tri--at the cold sweat stage.

Last edited:

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Heck, if I posted my list of possible cuts to look for (beyond superfluous characters or weak subplots), I sure can't find it. So here goes. I make no claim this is comprehensive. If anyone can add to what I've said, please do so. I'd love to trim sort more.

This is in addition to what has been said by me and others already about overdescribing actions (or anything else for that matter), unnecessary dialogue tags or actions, stating the obvious, redundancy, not using possible contractions, and wordy passive and progressive constructions. (And my em dash trick ;)) Everyone probably has phrases they overuse as well. (One of my worst offenders is "under the circumstances.")

Then there is the laborious process of examining everything slowly to see if it is (1) necessary and (2) stated in as few words as possible. Uncle Jim, in his wonderful threads on AW, says every line must do one or more of the following: support theme, establish character, or advance plot. I might add a fourth thing for my writing--bring a laugh (or, at least, a smile or eye roll).

very, really, just, rather, -ly (yeah, really's will be caught by this but I find it useful to do those separately), that, somewhat, quite, indeed, so, well, okay, oh, here, there, now, then, anyway, at all, sort of, still, sure

dialogue may be repetitious or unnecessarily have people addressing others by name

first person accounts may have "I (thought/saw/heard/knew) X" when I could simply say "X"

use of "began to," "started to," "could," "was able to" in cases where I could use the main verb by itself

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
I finished my synopsis. It's time to UNLEASH THE KRAKEN! (Actually, Kraken is the name of a spiced rum we tried once just so we could say "UNLEASH THE KRAKEN!" My husband came home with a bottle of it a couple days ago.)

I have a question for you experience fiction queriers. Do you include your synopsis with a query as a matter of course or only when the query instructions say to do so? I'm thinking my synopsis may help agents realize that I've really written a mystery, even if I mention a hot guy in the query.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
I finished my synopsis. It's time to UNLEASH THE KRAKEN! (Actually, Kraken is the name of a spiced rum we tried once just so we could say "UNLEASH THE KRAKEN!" My husband came home with a bottle of it a couple days ago.)

I have a question for you experience fiction queriers. Do you include your synopsis with a query as a matter of course or only when the query instructions say to do so? I'm thinking my synopsis may help agents realize that I've really written a mystery, even if I mention a hot guy in the query.
Unleash the Kraken = awesome.

I only include teh synopsis when required to do so. But, I add five pages of text even if not required to do so. Does that help?

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
No, it doesn't really help. But I don't care, because my Kraken has been unleashed. (And I'm watching men's gymnastics and swimming :))

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
If they specify query I send that and five sample pages. Then that type will often ask for a partial and synopsis from there. Some pubs and agents ask for the synopsis, bypassing the query entirely.

Thanks, got it. I hope you're right about the "often" part.

qdsb

Cynical Idealist
Registered
Reaction score
I hate synopses. So I only send the synopsis if instructions require them. Otherwise, I follow whatever instructions are available (query or query and sample).

Hathor--In your query, what about emphasizing the mystery elements of the story and downplaying the hotness?

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I may end up doing that when I query the straight mystery folks. Thing is, the hotness is part of the mystery. The guy may be the perp, so he isn't just some subplot.

I'm thinking I'll query first those who say they handle both mystery and romance (or have repped mysteries with romantic elements), call my work "romantic mystery," and let them figure out what to consider it.

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious how an element of hotness can hurt the marketability, even if it is a mystery. :) And great tips on tightening, Hathor. You have a few there I hadn't thought of.

Congrats on your first full, lorna w!

Speaking of hotness and men's gymnastics -- anyone notice Philipp Boy of Germany? Good combination of both, I think. ;)

qdsb

Cynical Idealist
Registered
Reaction score
Tri--I hope you hear back soon!

Carleree--I'm afraid to be too greedy with my apparent powers. ;) But I'll put your request on my list! :)

I don't think the hotness negatively affects marketability, but it sounds like it's affecting how agents misinterpret what the manuscript actually is/does. I like the sound of "mystery with romantic elements."

Good luck out there today, all!

Kmarshall

Registered
Reaction score
Q--I have a ridiculously unorthodox synopsis. Written 1st person like a journal entry. My editor loved it, and while I was initially nervous, she thought it conveyed the story better than an ordinary one would. It handy hurt me, the only agent that asked for it as part of the query came back for the full.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious how an element of hotness can hurt the marketability, even if it is a mystery. :) And great tips on tightening, Hathor. You have a few there I hadn't thought of.

Congrats on your first full, lorna w!

Speaking of hotness and men's gymnastics -- anyone notice Philipp Boy of Germany? Good combination of both, I think. ;)

There are all kinds of mysteries. Perhaps this one agent doesn't like any that have romantic elements.

Yep, congrats!

And...you are very, very right. Woof. I'm old enough to be his mother, but I still have eyes.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Another question -- how do you all handle situations where the agent says for email send a query letter and for hard copy send a letter, synopsis, and a certain number of pages? Would you go ahead and submit the synopsis and pages in an equery (or just pages) or print everything out and snail mail a package?

I'd prefer to email because it's easier. Plus my synopsis is over one and a half pages and they specify a one page S.

I guess this brings up the issue of whether agents who say they take both email and paper take paper more seriously.

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
Obviously, I'm totally new and ignorant at this, but I just assumed that the difference in snail mail (send more than just the query) is due to the time factor and postage involved. It's just easier/faster/cheaper to decrease the number of mailings. But that's just a guess on my part. I wonder if there's a better response rate on snail mail Qs. I tried to look at this issue on QT, but I'm becoming less enamored with the quality of the data there and with the updating of it. Interesting question, though.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
One writer's blog I've read says that people take longer reading hard copy than emails, so paper is better (the same reason you see things better when you revise with a printed version, rather than on the screen). Also, it's easier to hit delete than to send an R, so the decision is more considered with paper. That's what she says anyway.

I haven't made a study of it, but I haven't noticed a difference in response rates between the two in QT. But, as you said, you don't know the quality of the data.

Right now, I'm seeing what I can trim to make my story somewhat comprehensible in one page. I've accomplished that, but I don't have any spaces between the paragraphs. I wonder if that's a no-no. Anyone know?

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Never mind. I managed to trim a bit more and have space between paragraphs. Am I a trimming whiz or what? Boo ya! Unleash the Kraken! (Just kidding. It's only 3:00 in the afternoon here.)

Status
Not open for further replies.