• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Marsal Lyon Literary Agency

J.B.Kantt

Debut Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jbkantt.blogspot.com
Hey everyone! I'm new to AW, and I just wanted to try and get in on the conversation if that's okay :)

I queried Ms. Marsal on Saturday (2/25/12), and I'm still waiting for a response.
From what I've read, it sounds like she's usually a rather quick responder, so hopefully I'll hear from her soon. :)

Update: Just got a form rejection letter from Jill Marsal. It stinks, but at least she was quick about the R.

Araenvo

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.simonpclark.com
Ah sorry, that sucks - but I still prefer quick turn arounds to longer ones, it somehow makes the whole thing easier. Hope Kathleen is just as speedy either way

LMT

Registered
Reaction score
Did anyone who EQ'd Kathleen Rushall include ten pages pasted in the email? It's been a little over a month since I queried and I haven't received a response. The website says they respond in 1-4 weeks, but it looks like she normally responds in a week or two. When I rechecked the guidelines it said for electronic submission send a Query. Under hard copy it says include 10 pages, so I wondering if she deleted me for not following guidelines.

dawnb

Registered
Reaction score
I EQ'd Kathleen about 3 weeks ago--just a query--and I haven't heard anything yet either. Maybe she's backed up?

Araenvo

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.simonpclark.com
Did anyone who EQ'd Kathleen Rushall include ten pages pasted in the email? It's been a little over a month since I queried and I haven't received a response. The website says they respond in 1-4 weeks, but it looks like she normally responds in a week or two. When I rechecked the guidelines it said for electronic submission send a Query. Under hard copy it says include 10 pages, so I wondering if she deleted me for not following guidelines.

I really wouldn't worry about that - an agent would just get you to send in the pages and then decide. I suspect she's just busy. You can try following her on Twitter - sometimes I think she gives work related updates

LMT

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Araenvo and dawnb. I'll wait a while longer.

LMT

Registered
Reaction score
EQ = 2/8/12
ER = 3/9/12

dawnb

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for the R, LMT. I'm still waiting, but not optimistic.

Araenvo

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.simonpclark.com
Sorry to hear that, LMT, though all being rejected does is put us in the company of so many of history's greatest writers! Optimist to the end, me...

A month turnaround is pretty impressive either way, so that's good. Will be sure to report when I hear back myself :s

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Just got a rejection from Kevan and had two other queries rejected too, but I must say Kevan is super nice, informative and very responsive. I would definitely send to Kevan in the future.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if I ever reported this or not - Queried Kathleen in February, got a form rejection a few days later

ohthatmomagain

writing, working, weeping, winning
Registered
Reaction score
Equery today and e-ject 2.5hrs later. Said it "sounds great" but she's not doing any inspirationals (ie: Christian) now.

I'm so glad I read this. I was just fixing to sent a query to them.

K. we seem to be hitting up the same people lol

Bookie

Registered
Reaction score
Jill is very quick about replying. However, you should be slow about accepting. I can say that she is essentially a competent agent with a decent record of sales, but she will want you to rewrite (dumb down) your book into something more commercial. If you just want to make a quick buck, this might not be a bad thing...but if you are attached to your vision, she may not be the right agent for you.

Also, read her contract very carefully.She does not have a standard contract. As a trained Harvard-educated lawyer, she writes her own, tailoring each for each client, ensuring she gets what she wants out of each deal. For example, she will try to commit you to giving her the right to negotiate all furture adaptations of the book (including movies) before securing a book deal with a publisher. She will demand a percentage for a successful sale whether she negotiates it or not. So, if you work with her for a time in which she yields no results or simply have a falling out, she will want to collect a hefty percentage if you decide to go with another agent who succeeds where she failed...

Most agents will engage you in a good faith effort...If the arrangement doesnt work out, you just go your separate ways. No harm, no foul..Jill wants to be paid no matter what and to commit you to giving her more business before she has proven herself.

Jill wants to make sure her interests are represented so she negotiates to ensure she gets what she wants out of the deal. When talking to her, my impression wasnt that she was looking for talent to nurture and promote, but that she considers every query an opportunity to enhance her bottom line (along the lines of --whats in it for me?)...and so she will try to tailor engagements with writers to maximize her take as opposed to advancing your vision and nurturing your talent. As long as you both are on the same page about this, this is not necessarily a bad thing.

As stated, she is a decent, competent middle tier agent...but read her contract over very carefully and make sure you are agreeable to her terms before signing. Also make sure you share her vision as she tends to recommend dumbing down manuscripts in the interests of securing a bigger advance for your book. She will also get very impatient if you chafe at her recommendations/revisions. She wants things done her way.

Last edited:

qdsb

Cynical Idealist
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this is an "a no from one is a no from all" agency? I can't find any information online about whether they have such a policy.

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this is an "a no from one is a no from all" agency? I can't find any information online about whether they have such a policy.

If a firm doesn't say, I consider it as not having such a policy. That's the usual rule.

I queried one, was rejected, queried the other, and was asked for my NF proposal (also rejected :cry:). Point is, the second one was willing to consider me.

So go forth. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

qdsb

Cynical Idealist
Registered
Reaction score
Hathor--thanks! I was hoping someone would say that. I was afraid I'd missed some notice somewhere about such a policy for them and didn't want to annoy them. :)

Lost World

He'll NEVER fit in!
Registered
Reaction score
She will demand a percentage for a successful sale whether she negotiates it or not. So, if you work with her for a time in which she yields no results or simply have a falling out, she will want to collect a hefty percentage if you decide to go with another agent who succeeds where she failed...

Most agents will engage you in a good faith effort...If the arrangement doesnt work out, you just go your separate ways. No harm, no foul..Jill wants to be paid no matter what and to commit you to giving her more business before she has proven herself.

And on that happy note, I think I'll put her on my secondary list of agents to query. Thank you.