A Life of Crime and Chocolate

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What Gail said! Um, as long as it's good. :)

Moi? >insert shock-horror smiley here< I spent 'bout half an hour researching that. Now I've forgotten what it means. Guess we'll have to wait for French to pop in and translate it. :ROFL:But I think it was good. :D

Congrats, History!! :TheWave::TheWave: You iz brilliant!

And happy almost birthday, Mr Mitchell! :D

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, History :)

Moi? >insert shock-horror smiley here< I spent 'bout half an hour researching that. Now I've forgotten what it means. Guess we'll have to wait for French to pop in and translate it. :ROFL:But I think it was good. :D

Hehe, yes it was good. You want a translation?
Fair Dunkum: true, real, genuine
Sheila: Woman.

So you've called me a real woman.

This is a dictionaly of ALL our Aussie slang. I didnt realise just how much of it there was, but thats because it's just normal talk for us. I dont consider it slang. http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
At my old job (which I'm technically still in, but part time) we subtitled this series called Underbelly from Australia when our network acquired it. We could've done with a dictionary for that for the slang (and sweary words, lots of sweary words...)

I just realised I spent 12 hours almost straight on my design project today. I'm making a customised t shirt, doing a pen and ink drawing first. Not finished yet, but starting to wonder if I'd be a better illustrator than a writer... ;)

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
At my old job (which I'm technically still in, but part time) we subtitled this series called Underbelly from Australia when our network acquired it. We could've done with a dictionary for that for the slang (and sweary words, lots of sweary words...)

Haha really? Thats what I mean about not even knowing they're slang words, it's just so normal for us here. Yes, sweary words, unfortunatelly we're known for our use of cuss words. I try really hard not to, I'm not a fan personally.

I'm not a fan of Underbelly, it scares me. It's based on fact. It retells the real events of a gangland war in Melbourne (us Aussies pronounce it Melbin) from 1995 - 2004.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
So I'm considering joining Twitter.

In the "for" camp is familiarity with the medium should I find myself in a position where being on Twitter is A Good Thing, and the possibility of building up a network of contacts before I step into the scary world of publishing. I definitely don't want to be "that guy" who joined just because he wanted to scrounge info about agent X or publisher Y; if I go in, it should be to join the community, not to squeeze stuff out of it (just like here, really).

In the "against" camp is not wanting another thing to eat my time - AW is good enough at that all by itself :D - past failure to maintain things like blogs, and worry that (1) I have nothing worth saying or that people would want to hear, and (2) that I have no interest in what 99% of everyone has to say. I mean, it's not like my life has fallen apart so far because I'm not on Twitter... right? Unless that statement reveals in itself that I have no life... !

You can see that this is the kind of dilemma that one could happily waste hours thinking about. Ah, the joy of procrastination.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
So I'm considering joining Twitter.

The strength of Twitter, in my opinion, is in "watching" live events.

Example: A couple of years ago, my mom traveled to Hawaii for the first time. She flew out on a Friday. That Saturday morning, there was a tsunami warning. I "watched" the whole thing unfold on Twitter, reading news from people who were there. It was comforting (and luckily the surge was negligible and no one was hurt).

As a marketing platform, I don't know how effective it is. Clearly some people seem to leverage it successfully. I buy hand-made earrings from a woman in Washington State, and she tweets every time she's got a new design. On the other hand, there is one self-pubbed author I follow (who shall remain nameless, because he seems like a decent guy, and I'm about to slam him) who posts almost nothing but links to reviews of his books, announcements of sales, and naggy things like "It's cheaper than a cup of coffee!" He does this multiple times each day. It comes across cheap and desperate, and makes me think his book is the same.*

I don't tweet much, but I follow a lot of people, and I get a lot of news there that I wouldn't see otherwise. I like Twitter, and I'm sure some people can leverage it successfully for self-marketing; but it's hard sometimes to see how.

I think the secret is to tweet about a lot of stuff - not just your work - and get followers who think you are interesting. Then when you drop in that "Oh, by the way, here comes that book I've been working on in between tweeting pithy things to all you wonderful people" link, it's more organic.

*I started his book, but I did not finish it; IMHO he really, really needs an editor. Not so much bad grammar, but sloppy grammar, and right at the start when he needed to be pulling me into the story. Might otherwise be decent, though, so my loss, I'm sure. :)

Last edited:

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Liz - I've got a few people I follow on Twitter who are like that, only ever posting stuff about their books. The reviews and things I can live with. If I got a good review I'd maybe post it, but some post every single Amazon review and are constantly reposting the same things. It gets a bit wearing.

I started on Twitter because my friends I met in Canada insisted, and it was the easiest way for people in Norway, the US and the Czech Republic to all keep up with each other without having to cc emails or wait for people to wake up to go in chat rooms etc. So I have the one account that is purely silly and for the purposes of talking about Stargate and other seriously important stuff. The other one is professional, set up because the network insisted we all have a twitter account to tell people what happens behind the scenes, and if by some miracle I ever get published, that's the one I'd use. There's still a lot of pictures of my cats on that account, but generally less silliness.

I do like it for keeping up to date with the news though. It's really good to keep track of the Czech news, and also gives me a few wee lines of Czech coming into the feed all the time, so I'm constantly getting practice with the language too.

So I'm pro-Twitter, I guess! ;)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I don't know. It depends. I think I like Facebook and Twitter, but I like them both for different reasons.

I think FB can be a lot more personal. It's hard to have real discussions via Twitter, although I've had a little back-and-forth now and then. (Interesting dialogue when I replied to someone's tweet about the iPad by saying I'd written two novels with the virtual keyboard. :))

I'm chattier on FB; but let's face it: restricting me to 140 characters is problematic out of the gate. ;)

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
I think FB can be a lot more personal. It's hard to have real discussions via Twitter, although I've had a little back-and-forth now and then. (Interesting dialogue when I replied to someone's tweet about the iPad by saying I'd written two novels with the virtual keyboard. :))

I'm chattier on FB; but let's face it: restricting me to 140 characters is problematic out of the gate. ;)

Yeah, that's interesting. And I agree. It is harder to have conversations on Twitter than it is on Facebook.

Mr Mitchell

Registered
Reaction score
So the day has come and now I am a year older at 24. And I am becoming more wiser in my stories.

Mr Mitchell

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you everyone. Today has been a good day, but tomorrow back to the grind. Writing Barontonement. A science Fiction/ horror.