• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Nelson Literary Agency, LLC (Kristin Nelson)

RoseColoredSkies

It's a long and winding road
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarah-biglow.com
I will definitely be querying Sara when it get ready to send out queries. She seems to fit my current ms perfectly. Quite exciting.

JamieB

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieblair.blogspot.com
I pitched Sara at a conference last year and she asked for the partial. They didn't end up taking it, but I have a great impresssion of them and am working on getting something ready to query hopefully soon and Sara's the first on my list!

Rebecca_Rogers

Registered
Reaction score
I sent a query a couple of weeks ago and haven't heard anything back. I'm wondering if I should resend it... hmm...

CarolSanDiego

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carolcallicotte.com
I queried Kristen 9 months ago and my partial was rejected. Since then I have done a lot of revisions (spurred on by some expert feedback.) I'm wondering if it would be kosher to query Sara? I think my work might be right up her alley. Just not sure how closely she was working with Kristen back then...

JamieB

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieblair.blogspot.com
I queried Kristen 9 months ago and my partial was rejected. Since then I have done a lot of revisions (spurred on by some expert feedback.) I'm wondering if it would be kosher to query Sara? I think my work might be right up her alley. Just not sure how closely she was working with Kristen back then...

My understanding is that Sara was Kristin's reader and requested the partials and sent the rejections - everything went through Sara first. Like I said, that was always my understanding.

kikilynn

You can find me on occasion.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.goodreader.wordpress.com
I got a formal rejection letter from them just last week....depressed as I was, I immediately queried another agent. Would it be wrong to requery with my letter addressed to sara instead?

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
I sent a query a couple of weeks ago and haven't heard anything back. I'm wondering if I should resend it... hmm...
Unless her site states otherwise, I'd give it another week or two before simply sending an e-mail asking about it.

I would definitely not re-send the query blind without finding out whether the first was received, regardless of how long ago it had been.

SusanH

Registered
Reaction score
I wish I could get KN to agent me. She is one smart lady. I have queried her twice and rejected both times. I know it was my sucky query. How long should I wait to requery her? I queried her almost one year ago then about 3 months ago. She does a great newsletter I subscribe to. She says to never give up. I think I'll wait until Query Hell says I have given it my best. I am happy with the way it is now, but I am sure there is always room for improvement.

Rebecca_Rogers

Registered
Reaction score
Unless her site states otherwise, I'd give it another week or two before simply sending an e-mail asking about it.

I would definitely not re-send the query blind without finding out whether the first was received, regardless of how long ago it had been.

Yeah, I won't. But it seems like everyone else is hearing back from her rather quickly. Even her website says to expect a response within 5-10 days. I'll wait a couple more weeks, though.

Phantom Writer

Dancing between good and evil...
Registered
Reaction score
Got a one day email form rejection with both Sara's name and Kristin's name on it. Very polite- but still form. Good Luck all!

Rebecca_Rogers

Registered
Reaction score
They emailed you back within a day? Wow. Wish I'd get that lucky. LOL

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
Yeah, I won't. But it seems like everyone else is hearing back from her rather quickly. Even her website says to expect a response within 5-10 days. I'll wait a couple more weeks, though.
If her site says to expect a response within 5-10 days, and it's been longer, then shoot her an e-mail to ask whether it was received. That's why I put in the disclaimer "Unless her site states otherwise..."
:)

SusanH

Registered
Reaction score
I want to requery her, but I am afraid. They probably have my e-mail programed into their rejection letter..... I'll wait awhile longer.

Laura Lond

Registered
Reaction score
Queried on April 10th, got a rejection of April 12th. Pretty quick in my case.

Laura Lond

Registered
Reaction score
Blind Writer, have you heard back from Bill Contardi? I have re-sent my query today...

I have no explanation of why in some cases an agent is lightning fast, and in others it takes the same agent weeks and months to respond. I suppose it depends on their workload. And if they have taken a manuscript to read, it is likely that they will not take another one soon.

Last edited:

socact

Registered
Reaction score
Can we query agents separately at this agency? I already got a reject from Kristen Nelson, but I'm thinking one of her other agents might be a better fit for my genre...

Laura Lond

Registered
Reaction score
Can we query agents separately at this agency? I already got a reject from Kristen Nelson, but I'm thinking one of her other agents might be a better fit for my genre...

I don't remember whether their site says that "a No from one agent means a No from the agency." Check it out, and if it is not specified, I would try submitting to another agent.

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score
I had that experience recently with an agency. One agent turned me down, and that same day, I sent a different agent at the same agency a query. She responded in 16 min asking for the full.

So I would agree, unless they say no means from the agency, it can't hurt to re-query. What's the worst that will happen? No response or a "no" email........you just never know, so why not try is my motto!

caromora

Still alive. Kind of.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkstaind-stars.livejournal.com
This is like the third time I've edited this post. I'm not awake yet, apparently. Anyway, I was trying to say that I think Sara is still reading all of the queries that come in, isn't she? So resending to her would essentially be querying the same agent twice. Does anyone know if Julie the assistant is fully in charge of the slush pile now?

I highly recommend that anyone interested in querying the Nelson Agency read Pubrants, Kristin's blog. There's all sorts of information there about how their agency works, as well as how the industry works in general.

Last edited:

Blind Writer

YA/MG Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kodykeplinger.com
Laura, no nothing from Bill Contardi.

I'm just waiting patiently for more responses. Now that I've recieved two replies, I eel better, just knowing my queries are out there.